Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
What exact data do you need besides this?

Mac OS X 10.9.4 build 13E28
Safari 7.0.5
Finder 10.9.4
VLC 2.1.2
Movist old version 0.6.8

Forum Rules said:
Customer service. We ask that you not use your forum threads for extended customer service for individual problems. Discussing bugs or features to keep users informed is fine, but please direct people to your support URL when appropriate so that threads do not get derailed with drawn-out service issues. If forum users aren't cooperative, please let the moderators know.

Sim, as per the forum rules, we need to move this to PM. Please PM me your uBar version, whether Accessibility is enabled for uBar, and any other UI/Desktop apps you may be running.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Would be nice to be able to un-group similar windows.
IE: currently if I have 3 safari windows open, it groups them together, I need to click it, then I can pick which one I want to bring to foreground or open.

I use Windows 7 at work, and have my taskbar to NOT group any similar applications (basically make it function like winxp). I've always found this faster and more productive (especially when I have a lot of similar apps open but need multiple windows.

I do like your app! I will keep using it during the trial period, and possibly purchase down the road. Will test with external monitors and see how it works later this week when I get home.

That is really difficult to do. So I did it :cool:

Release notes for Version 2.1.2:
  • Feature: Window grouping available via Preferences window (Suggested by willph)

Please note that this feature was a huge change, and there could be behavioural issues (Window grouping is set to Always by default partly for this reason) given it is the first release with the feature. Known issues include Photoshop windows not cooperating in terms of Right-click>Close, and could include other poorly behaved apps. If anyone finds any issues with the multi-window mode, please PM me the details.

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
Is there a way to reorganize the applications in the uBar? I mean, like we can do pressing command and clicking in the icons of the status bar (wifi, battery, etc).

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Is there a way to reorganize the applications in the uBar? I mean, like we can do pressing command and clicking in the icons of the status bar (wifi, battery, etc).

Not yet, BUT you can set the application order to Launch or Alphabetical for now.

Anybody tried the Window grouping Auto/Never yet?

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Hahahaha. You know, maybe I'll try that.

How are you randomizing it?

Haha it's not actually random. Basically if there's so many windows that the buttons would be <75 % of their max size, it begins to group. Of course more rows help auto avoid grouping.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Haha it's not actually random. Basically if there's so many windows that the buttons would be <75 % of their max size, it begins to group. Of course more rows help auto avoid grouping.

Oh, right! It would be interesting if we could set that up manually per app. Might be a lot to ask though. uBar is nice as it stands.

Oh, and by the way, I thought it interesting that you didn't add Console to the system shortcuts, (Prefs, Terminal, Activity Monitor).

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Oh, right! It would be interesting if we could set that up manually per app. Might be a lot to ask though. uBar is nice as it stands.

Oh, and by the way, I thought it interesting that you didn't add Console to the system shortcuts, (Prefs, Terminal, Activity Monitor).

Yep I actually do plan to add Utilities under Applications and Console to the other "Apple Cinema Display Icon" utilities. The menu preference panel will have all the built-in menu items Check on/off -able. Might even do it next update. This way you can cut the menu down to the bone (Applications + uBar) or go all out (everything checked plus custom stuff).

That said I have more plans to make the Activity Monitor nearly obsolete :). Wouldn't mind adding more general system data to Control/Activity mode, just I have to do it in a tasteful way. I don't want the screen to turn into a Borg command centre interface.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yep I actually do plan to add Utilities under Applications and Console to the other "Apple Cinema Display Icon" utilities. The menu preference panel will have all the built-in menu items Check on/off -able. Might even do it next update. This way you can cut the menu down to the bone (Applications + uBar) or go all out (everything checked plus custom stuff).

That said I have more plans to make the Activity Monitor nearly obsolete :). Wouldn't mind adding more general system data to Control/Activity mode, just I have to do it in a tasteful way. I don't want the screen to turn into a Borg command centre interface.

LOL.

Sounds good!

Maybe you could have the clock text be something when you hit the Control key... I think the bars are already crowded, but then I'm using it in large mode.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
LOL.

Sounds good!

Maybe you could have the clock text be something when you hit the Control key... I think the bars are already crowded, but then I'm using it in large mode.

I'm thinking a tall-ish strip above the uBar with a series of panels... CPU, Memory, Disk, Network, Fans, etc... Background blurred-over...

Done in a really clean way... Yep I've got it.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Hi. I'm the developer of uBar.

uBar is a task bar for OS X 10.9+.

Version 2.0 is a total rewrite that I have just published outside of the Mac App Store (due to sandboxing requirements). It is a 4 week trial and costs $15 to purchase.

I know some of you love the Dock and consider this heresy, but there's a good body of opinion that the pre-Windows 8 task bar was the one thing Microsoft ever got right UI-wise :)

I'm actively developing it and would love to hear everyone's feedback and feature requests.

The latest version is 2.1.0

Here is the current roadmap/todo:
  • Reordering of Favourites
  • Handle image drops on Applications (currently accepts files)
  • French & German localization
  • Bookmarks in uBar menu

[url=http://brawersoftware.com/gfx/products_ubar_image02.png]Image[/URL]

Working on 10.10 yet? Didn't see anything that said either way. :D

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Ok, now the entire menu can be customized by check/unchecking items in Preferences.

Release notes for Version 2.1.3:
  • Feature: Standard menu items can now be enabled/disabled from preferences

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Release notes for Version 2.1.4:
  • Tweak: Applications in Menu no longer show extension (Suggested by John Birch)
  • Fix: Applications that are already unresponsive when uBar is launched are marked as such.

Last edited:

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
I finally saw the not responding red bars. Nice. What are the other lines though? For when the apps are doing something?

My apps in the additional folders are showing the .app extension. :confused:

Red bars = Unresponsive, White bars = Launching

Ah the Apps in the Menu itself don't show .app but I must have forgotten to do that for the same Apps when shown in the Preferences>Menu list - will fix for next release thanks!

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Made the customization list in Preferences>Menus much nicer.

Release notes for Version 2.1.5:
  • Feature: Custom menu item list in Preferences now shows icons

Jeayese

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
wow, fantastic app!

I think it would be even better if you could combine the top mac OS X bar with the Ubar!

going to experiment more with this application :D

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Is there any way for uBar to take control of Finder windows so that it can be an actual replacement for the Dock. The visual of the Finder windows going to the Dock instead of moving to uBar is slighty jarring.

I know that I can have the Dock at the bottom of the screen but the Dock often wants to show itself when being less than careful there at the bottom of the screen.

It's a great application though - for the 10 minutes I tried it until I realized that the Dock is so central to all things OS X in relation to Finder and what else OS X can come up with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.