Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Come on, no need for such BS!

"MLforAll @MLforAll · Jul 9
[NEWS] I’m working a lot to get MCPF released soon :) I already got Yosemite but still have this ****ing WS crash :( "

"MLforAll @MLforAll · Jul 9
If everyone fell capable to help me, please add my skype : kelian.dumarais More people mean more ideas to solve the WS crashes !"

It appears things have been at a dead-end for a long time and Wayne is a very young padawan who has now found other interests in life...

You know as well as anyone else that they've never managed to get their MacPostFactor to run stable under Mavericks or beyond... and probably never will. I really don't understand this necessity that some have to keep spreading false hopes.

Those old GMA950/X3100 or ATI 1600 are obsolete and now unsupported, when will people just accept that simple fact?

Last edited:

TigranG

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
MLPostFactor Error

Hi All,

I can't proceed with Mac OS X Mountain Lion installation on iMac5.2 because of error that appears while trying to launch MLPostFactor (see attached).

Screen.png

In App folder I have "Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion.app". I've already tried as MLPostFactor V0.2.2 and V 0.3

How could I go ahead with installation?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Screen.png
    Screen.png
    395.7 KB · Views: 225

TigranG

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
Are you trying this on a 10.7.5 (not older) system?

Originally I was trying to do it via MLPostFactor 0.2.2 under 10.6.8 but after downloading MLPostFactor 0.3 I was forced to update to Mac Os X 10.7. So current issue I have on a 10.7.

pulker

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Italy
Hey, are there any ideas on my issue with Mountain Lion installation on old iMac5.2?

Thank you!

Have you already updated your iMac to 10.7.5? If no, MLPF can't work. It accepts only 10.7.5, not an older one. After you have updated your iMac to 10.7.5, MLPF should work properly.

An other advice I give you, is to use english as system language, if you already don't have. Just because it can't work properly also for that.

Sorry for my english.

Last edited:

TigranG

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
Have you already updated your iMac to 10.7.5? If no, MLPF can't work. It accepts only 10.7.5, not an older one. After you have updated your iMac to 10.7.5, MLPF should work properly.

An other advice I give you, is to use english as system language, if you already don't have. Just because it can't work properly also for that.

Sorry for my english.

Pulker, thank you very much for advise, I will try to install Mac OS X 10.7.5 and continue with MLPostFactor under it.

System language is already changed on english.

I will come back with results.

popayann

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2014
France
Problem with aperture : Video format is not supported.

Hi,
I've installed my iMac 5.1 on MountainLion with MLpostfactor.
Every things works great except that in Aperture 3, i can't see my videos made with my camcorder.
When i want to open a video in Aperture, i've got the message : Video format is not supported.:confused:
I'll have to open it in Quicktime.
Do you know why, and is there a way to fix it ?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
The version of the installer I downloaded from the App Store was 10.8.5. I followed the guide and installed the kexts and frame work someone had uploaded as a zip file and I then used disk utility to repair permissions on the ML partition and rebooted. But it simply hangs at the grey a creek with the apple logo. No spinning wheel or anything like that. Did I miss a step I. Kext wizard or something? Thanks for any help. Oh and I used SFOTT to make my installer because I wanted to be running in true 64bit kernel mode. The install booted fine before I installed the kexts and frame works. Maybe I missed a step in kext wizard since it seems there are lots of options but I was afraid to try them.

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Actually it works with 10.8.5 (currently using it). As MLPF works with 10.8.5 (using 10.8.4 settings) obviously 10.8.5 works with 64bit, too.
You can update using the combo update installer and before rebooting replacing the boot efi files with the hacked one as well as replacing the frameworks and The PlatformSupport.plist afterwards you can install the Appstore's supplemental 10.8.5 update without any edits. This technique worked for me.

Could you explain what your actual edits in the PlatformUUID.kext were?
I tried using SnowLeopards FaceTime Version and got it to Launch, but this workaround didn't work.

I finally found the 10.8.4 installer and installed with sfott method. Could you please give more detail on how to do the update to 10.8.5? As in more detail on how to replace the boot efi file and what exactly to do as far as the platformsupport plist? I have looked at all these pages till my head hurts!

----------

Actually it works with 10.8.5 (currently using it). As MLPF works with 10.8.5 (using 10.8.4 settings) obviously 10.8.5 works with 64bit, too.
You can update using the combo update installer and before rebooting replacing the boot efi files with the hacked one as well as replacing the frameworks and The PlatformSupport.plist afterwards you can install the Appstore's supplemental 10.8.5 update without any edits. This technique worked for me.

Could you explain what your actual edits in the PlatformUUID.kext were?
I tried using SnowLeopards FaceTime Version and got it to Launch, but this workaround didn't work.

Also I just tried adding required files after installing 10.8.4 that you linked to as graphics and audio patches and still stuck at apple logo. If I do just the kexts and not the frameworks it works fine minus of course no graphics acceleration. I really would appreciate some help. I don't want to go the 32 bit method :(

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Well, by booting into safe mode and then rebooting I got it to boot up but with graphics artifacts all over the place. Someone must have the answer. Am I using the wrong patched frameworks?

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I've done that on my MBP2,2. First I had installed 10.8.5 (via SFOTT), then applied the new Security Update 2014-003 (455 MB via App-Store), thereafter the X1600 and Audio kexts from the given link (via Kext-Utility). Everything went fine and looks good.

Now, when I've copied the OpenCL & OpenGL files from the given link into the respective folders (via Finder within 10.8.5), the Icons in the Desktop menu bar as well as in the Finder menu bar are defective, showing "pixel salad".

What is the best method to patch the Frameworks? Deleting the original files and then replacing with those from the link or just copy the files from the link? There are less files in the link and the original folders contain symbolic links but the patched files don't.

Or are the defective Icons in the menu bars a problem with the new Security-Update 003? This Update includes also patches for the graphics drivers.

Having same problem. Did you fix the "pixel salad"?

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Having same problem. Did you fix the "pixel salad"?

No, not really. I've omitted the patched OpenGL/CL frameworks, but this is no real solution. There's no pixel salad now, but strange effects: e.g. Safari scrolls very slow on websites with many pictures or e.g. there's no OSD/Teletext in EyeTV. I had not tried yet what happens when I install the graphics kexts first, then the patched OpenGL/CL frameworks and the Security Update as the last.

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I have tried lots of combinations. The other two guys talked like this would just work. Would be nice if they could lend a hand

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Well I finally was going to give in and use MLPF. It screws up too :( I downloaded ML from the App Store on my MacBook Air and am selecting my usb drive and it just sits forever at the restoring original installation system or whatever it is that it says. I opened console and it's showing nothing but the same continuous error over and over. Can't recall off my head but it's some kind of kernel error. And yeah I am using 10.7.5 to run the app :(

p2noway

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
You know whatsup!
I smushed all of your wonderful hacks and stuff together into an all in one SUPER SIMPLE 4.8Gb .dmg file.. It includes OSX 10.8.5 image, I hacked in and upgraded your tool to work with 10.8.5 ;) . Just added the option in.. And viola! plus added a folder with all fixes and a few extra 32bit/lion kexts 'just incase I need them..' I added a fix for the dock problem and also a "how to" hide and make a sweet recovery partition.. Basically Restore the dmg to a usb stick and plug it in, hold option key on your mac, and install on any unsupported mac.. I believe I can also use this as a upgrade option! And not just clean install :) all software updates are available and install correctly...

I also renamed it from ML postfactor v3.0 to "Mountain Lion PreFIX" 10.8.5 :)

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Hehe.

PorkPieHat

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
To use MLPF or not to use MLPF, that is the question

Is everyone still convinced that the non-MLPF method is better than using MLPF? I have a Late 2006 iMac with the ATI Radeon X1600 GPU that’s currently running OS 10.7.5.

Also, is the installation guide at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18821774/ the latest one, or has it been modified in the last month or so?

Thanks

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Is everyone still convinced that the non-MLPF method is better than using MLPF? I have a Late 2006 iMac with the ATI Radeon X1600 GPU that’s currently running OS 10.7.5.

Also, is the installation guide at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18821774/ the latest one, or has it been modified in the last month or so?

Thanks

If you look at our posts above you will see that although the non MLPF method is preferred me nor the other person has gotten it to work right :(

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I should add that I finally got MLPF installed by making the installer on my MacBook Air. It works but isn't near as good as running in a vanilla 64 bit mode.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I should add that I finally got MLPF installed by making the installer on my MacBook Air. It works but isn't near as good as running in a vanilla 64 bit mode.

Thanks for the info. It sounds that this solution runs not faster than 10.7 Lion. Lion seems to be the better solution in this case (if it is natively supported by the Mac) - because no worry whether Lion will still working 100 percent if a Security-Update comes out .....

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Well of course it would not: it's a bastardised version of ML with DP1 kexts & kernel! As such, it has defects as anyone could have expected.

For those old Macs that can natively run 64bit graphics (like older MacPro where 7300GT graphics card has been changed for a model suitable to ML), the vanilla method is of course to be preferred to MLPF, the hack being nevertheless the alternative/fallback solution for systems with 32bit-only graphics (GMA950, GMA X3100, GeForce 7x00, etc.).

Last edited:

auptimus

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Install 10.8 on old unsupported Mac

I did all that, but now I am stuck with unwanted partitions which I cannot delete without compromising the ML partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.