Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2014, 02:56 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft Launches New Cortana vs. Siri Ad Showing Off Context-Aware Reminders

Microsoft today launched a new commercial comparing its new Cortana virtual assistant to Apple's virtual assistant Siri, demonstrating how the former is able to perform contextually-aware tasks using a number of services.

Titled "Happy Anniversary", the commercial shows Cortana and Windows Phone 8.1 running on the Nokia Lumia 635 as the narrator makes commands related around a wedding anniversary. First, the narrator asks Cortana to remind him to wish his wife a happy birthday he next time she calls, as the voice assistant schedules a reminder around the call. Meanwhile, Siri does not comply to the request.

The narrator then asks Cortana to remind him to get roses when he comes near any flower shop, while Siri once again does not comply. Finally, Cortana automatically gives a traffic reminder prompting the narrator to leave before traffic delays, as Siri finishes by saying "Now that is a smart phone."

This is the first time that Microsoft has demonstrated its new Cortana voice assistant against Siri, however the company has used Siri's voice to poke fun at the iPad in the past. Cortana was originally announced in April alongside Windows Phone 8.1, as Microsoft touted the virtual assistant's ability to tie reminders and tasks around people and locations. Notably, a Windows Phone manager said last month that the company wants Cortana to be "pervasive" among mobile platforms, perhaps indicating that Microsoft could expand Cortana to iOS and Android.

Article Link: Microsoft Launches New Cortana vs. Siri Ad Showing Off Context-Aware Reminders
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 02:57 AM   #2
farewelwilliams
macrumors regular

cortana, who named you?
farewelwilliams is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:00 AM   #3
flash84x
macrumors regular

Ugh, still using the old voice even though they're depicting iOS 7. But more glaringly, I create location based reminders primarily with Siri, what are they talking about?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewelwilliams View Post
cortana, who named you?
Seems to be lifted from the Halo game series, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortana
flash84x is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:01 AM   #4
subsonix
macrumors 68030

Interesting how the tables have turned on the Mac vs PC commercials. It's now Microsoft that makes them.
subsonix is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:01 AM   #5
Chabba
macrumors member

Having played with Google Now on my Samsung S4, Cortana at the Microsoft store and used Siri on my iPhone 4S, Siri is the slowest and least accurate...by far.
Chabba is offline   38 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:02 AM   #6
HeroofTime231
macrumors newbie

Microsoft, give us Jen Taylor! You can't call your PA "Cortana" and not give us that voice!!!
HeroofTime231 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:02 AM   #7
SgtPepper12
macrumors 6502

This might actually be a great software, but I'd be a lot less biased if they didn't directly compare their phone to the iPhone. Especially the Siri voice basically literally saying "I'm such a bad phone, the Lumia is much better" is just uncreative and dumb. It's really lazy advertising in my eyes.
SgtPepper12 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:03 AM   #8
Zxxv
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewelwilliams View Post
cortana, who named you?
she's from HALO. She is cool as and they are great games, cortana rocks. If only apple had her
Zxxv is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:03 AM   #9
Chabba
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash84x View Post
Ugh, still using the old voice even though they're depicting iOS 7. But more glaringly, I create location based reminders primarily with Siri, what are they talking about?
They're talking about what you see. You can't set Siri to remind you of something at general locations, only specific locations. Siri can't remind you of something the next time you speak with someone.
Chabba is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:06 AM   #10
rmbpuser
macrumors regular

Do I have to say Cortana everytime?
No thanks.
rmbpuser is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:07 AM   #11
pure-rockstar
Banned

Well.... Siri hasn't been updated yet
pure-rockstar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:07 AM   #12
dixido
macrumors member

Wow, I am impressed!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:09 AM   #13
lotzosushi
macrumors regular

Well that was embarrassing... more free advertisement for Apple.

I don't think I know any of my iPhone friends ever using Siri for anything more than asking silly questions hoping for a snarky reply.
lotzosushi is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:10 AM   #14
Apple blogger
macrumors 6502

You can ask her/him to remind you to do something when u leave a place... Or when u get to a place.. But not the next time you talk to a person
Apple blogger is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:10 AM   #15
Deepshade
macrumors regular

Don't worry, the next iPhone will have software to do this, but you'll have to wait until the fall of 2015 for the actual phone, as it takes a year to make a new case - or maybe longer as production problems or dual product release issues might see that pushed that back until 2016….only one further item to contend with after that - by then, the iPhone will be the price of a small house.
Deepshade is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:12 AM   #16
Bskippy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbpuser View Post
No thanks.
Ummm... No you don't have to say her name everytime. I use her on my Lumia 1520. I'm in the UK and she is only in Beta for the U.S, but already I get better functionality and more consistant voice recognition.
Bskippy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:15 AM   #17
Zxxv
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No thanks.
Speaking to cortana if you've ever played halo gets microsoft cool points. Well from me atleast

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroofTime231 View Post
Microsoft, give us Jen Taylor! You can't call your PA "Cortana" and not give us that voice!!!
wheres the super agree button?
Zxxv is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:17 AM   #18
Chabba
macrumors member

Quote:
No thanks.
No.
Chabba is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:19 AM   #19
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Cortana is far batter than Siri in my experience. Although, Google Now is also better than Siri too. What happened to Siri Apple?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:19 AM   #20
Mashurrab
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
Interesting how the tables have turned on the Mac vs PC commercials. It's now Microsoft that makes them.
True,

But Microsoft is lying here. Siri can do at least some of the tasks shown but with more steps, like having a location based reminder
Mashurrab is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:23 AM   #21
singe
macrumors newbie

“We have to let go of this notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose,”
— Steve Jobs,
Macworld, August 1997
singe is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:25 AM   #22
Chabba
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashurrab View Post
True,

But Microsoft is lying here. Siri can do at least some of the tasks shown but with more steps, like having a location based reminder
Siri can't remind you when speaking in terms of general locations, only specific locations, like in the ad.

Edit: Remind me to do XYZ at ABC location vs remind me to do XYZ at whatever type of location mentioned.

Last edited by Chabba; Jul 28, 2014 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Clarity.
Chabba is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:27 AM   #23
MH01
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper12 View Post
This might actually be a great software, but I'd be a lot less biased if they didn't directly compare their phone to the iPhone. Especially the Siri voice basically literally saying "I'm such a bad phone, the Lumia is much better" is just uncreative and dumb. It's really lazy advertising in my eyes.
Wait..... Ads are biased???? So it is not so!!
MH01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:28 AM   #24
peterdevries
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Cortana is far batter than Siri in my experience. Although, Google Now is also better than Siri too. What happened to Siri Apple?
I don't see Cortana as a selling point for Windows Phone. Usability would be a selling point for Windows Phone. They should focus on that instead.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:29 AM   #25
pedromcm.pm
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Nothing. That's the problem.

The "problem" is that Google uses your data to improve everything (relevant stuff on Google now, voice accuracy). Apple doesn't do that, to keep some sort of "clean" image because they want to make you think that using data=creepy and dirty.

So not updating Siri with that functionality = more iPhones. But it won't take long for that approach to change.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion