Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jespervang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Hvidovre, Denmark
Hi,

I have a simple question ( I hope ) : If I buy an Airport extreme (or Express for that matter), can I add an external harddrive, that I use as Time machine backup, via the usb port, and will it work as wireless automated time machine backup still ?

Since the Airport extreme only have one usb port, can I add both the external hardrive and a printer, via an usb hub, and get both wireless print, and automated backup ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Take a look at this KB article from apple

I believe the non-pancake version of Airport Extreme base station may work, but in other cases it won't.

I'd look to get a TimeCapsule (hard drive built in), or use an external disk connected to the Mac via USB.

jespervang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Hvidovre, Denmark
Thanks for quick reply. This I would probably just plug in the harddrive to the computer. Time capsule is a little expensive, for what you get, so that's why I did not include that in my solution :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi,

I have a simple question ( I hope ) : If I buy an Airport extreme (or Express for that matter), can I add an external harddrive, that I use as Time machine backup, via the usb port, and will it work as wireless automated time machine backup still ?

Since the Airport extreme only have one usb port, can I add both the external hardrive and a printer, via an usb hub, and get both wireless print, and automated backup ?

Yes to both as long as you get the new tower shaped model like maflynn mentioned.

Thanks for quick reply. This I would probably just plug in the harddrive to the computer. Time capsule is a little expensive, for what you get, so that's why I did not include that in my solution :)

I would have agreed with you on the old models that they were overpriced, but the new tower shaped Time Capsule is about the same cost as the Airport Extreme plus a 2TB external drive now. Not a bad deal if wireless backup is your goal.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi,

As mentioned earlier, only the newer tower style Extremes and Time Capsules support USB hard drives as Time Machine volumes. Earlier Extremes and Time Capsules only support USB hard drive support as a volume and not a Time Machine drive. You may use a powered USB hub to hook the printer and hard drive to the USB port on the Extreme. The Express lacks support for USB hard drive sharing all together.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Hi,

I have the newest Apple Express and I can not connect an external HD to it.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Hi,

To the first question yes. I have a USB enclosure connected to the Airport Extreme and I use it for Time Machine backups through wireless.

Second not sure, never tried.

jespervang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Hvidovre, Denmark
To the first question yes. I have a USB enclosure connected to the Airport Extreme and I use it for Time Machine backups through wireless.

Thanks for all the answers; one question I may have missed. Can I use a portable external hd, one that is normally powered by the computer, for use as backup via usb -> aiport extreme ?

Thanks

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
As mentioned earlier, only the newer tower style Extremes and Time Capsules support USB hard drives as Time Machine volumes. Earlier Extremes and Time Capsules only support USB hard drive support as a volume and not a Time Machine drive.
When did this misconception become so widespread? I've been doing Time Machine backups to a USB HDD attached to a 2009 dual-band AirPort Extreme since, well, 2009!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When did this misconception become so widespread? I've been doing Time Machine backups to a USB HDD attached to a 2009 dual-band AirPort Extreme since, well, 2009!

It's not a misconception. That is not supported by Apple. Some people get it working only to have troubles later and find their data is not there when they need it. Maybe you have just been lucky.

Here is the Apple support doc on this. From the page:

Additional Information

Time Machine is not supported with USB hard drives that are connected to an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme device.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

It was not a supported feature and therefore it is buggy. Some say it works great and others say it requires workarounds. When I have to use workarounds with my backup solution I look for a different solution.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
It was not a supported feature and therefore it is buggy. Some say it works great and others say it requires workarounds.
Although not officially supported, TM backup has yet to fail on me on 4th Gen Extreme (2009) as well.
I used to have constant problems with AP Extreme 1st and 2nd Gen basestations, since Lion came around.
Therefore I have the opinion, that 4th Gen firmware (probably also the HW spec) is on par with the TimeCapsule.
I am using this config purely out of curiosity, I have 2 more instances of my TM backup, should the things really become rough :D

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
It's when you try to restore from the networked hdd that often doesn't work
You may be correct. I've never specifically selected the target (out of my 3), just the latest backup, to restore.
Then again, I could:
1) verify the backups (always failed with previous AEB-s)
2) if verify passes, connect the drive to TC or Mini

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yeah, the extreme base stations and Time Capsules support external drives, its the time machine support that gets tricky. All the current generation are TM approved, however.

In previous generations, the Time Capsule firmware dealt with drives much better than the AEBS counterparts, especially multiple ones. For example, when using green type drives, all but one had a tendency to disappear from the network until the AEBS is restarted. Didn't seem to bother a Time Capsule, however.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
I've been using it for years. 3rd gen, 5th gen most recently. never had an issue backing up or restoring, except i usually prevent my mac from sleeping before a restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.