Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miguel760

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
What bitrate are songs downloaded to the iPhone? If the download is at a low bit quality, can I change it to high quality? I tried looking for an answer but couldn't find one. THANK YOU.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
What bitrate are songs downloaded to the iPhone? If the download is at a low bit quality, can I change it to high quality? I tried looking for an answer but couldn't find one. THANK YOU.

Downloaded over WiFi 256kbps, streamed over cell service is undisclosed but appears to be in the 80kbps to 100 kbps range.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
If I understand the question, all iTunes songs are 256 ACC. It's not possible to download any higher resolutions. You can upsample the files to higher resolutions, but you can't increase the quality because the data isn't in the file to begin with.

Miguel760

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Sorry if I wasn't that clear, I wrote the original post pretty late last night.

What i'm wondering is if any of the music I download from iTunes match to my iPhone, being downloaded at lower bitrates? All my music is either iTunes store bought 256 or cd ripped 320 kbps.

The reason I'm asking is because yesterday I was playing music through bluetooth from my iPhone to bose soundlink mini and the music sounded really bad and distorted. I then connoted the same speaker through bluetooth to my mac mini and played the same music and it sounded perfect.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
First, you might want to re-rip your CDs into ALAC (16 bit/ 44.1).

As to your question, I do think that when iTunes Match downloads onto your iPhone, the file is 256 ACC. (But I'm not certain.)

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Sorry if I wasn't that clear, I wrote the original post pretty late last night.

What i'm wondering is if any of the music I download from iTunes match to my iPhone, being downloaded at lower bitrates? All my music is either iTunes store bought 256 or cd ripped 320 kbps.

The reason I'm asking is because yesterday I was playing music through bluetooth from my iPhone to bose soundlink mini and the music sounded really bad and distorted. I then connoted the same speaker through bluetooth to my mac mini and played the same music and it sounded perfect.
Sounds like a Bluetooth issue. There may have been interference or something.

Per Apple's site:

"Even better, all the music iTunes matches plays back from iCloud at 256-Kbps AAC DRM-free quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality"

pauljbax

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2005
iTunes Match

I did not renew iTunes match and it seems my songs are now stuck in the matching cloud when I try to access on my phone and iPad. Has anyone else had this problem? I want control of my songs...back!

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I did not renew iTunes match and it seems my songs are now stuck in the matching cloud when I try to access on my phone and iPad. Has anyone else had this problem? I want control of my songs...back!

renew itunes match!!

or

turn off iTunes match and go back to syncing music from iTunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.