Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:03 AM   #51
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple blogger View Post
You can ask her/him to remind you to do something when u leave a place... Or when u get to a place.. But not the next time you talk to a person
I see usability issues:
  1. When the person calls, instead of letting you to talk, the OS distracts you with a reminder popup. That could be quite annoying.
  2. What if that person never calls you?

Why not just call them first - if it's that important? And if it's not that important, why are you creating reminders?

I think there's a reason Apple left this out.

Last edited by Arran; Jul 28, 2014 at 05:52 AM.
Arran is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:09 AM   #52
zeboulon
macrumors newbie

The meaning of Cortana according to Cortana

"I am named after Cortana, the AI from Halo.
Or since she's 500 years in the future, she may have named herself
after me."
zeboulon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:11 AM   #53
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxxv View Post
Speaking to cortana if you've ever played halo gets microsoft cool points. Well from me atleast
Haven't played halo.

Cortana is a clunky name. Could do with one less syllable.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:11 AM   #54
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Siri has revolutionised the way I set timers.
Jsameds is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:13 AM   #55
bushido
macrumors 603

Siri also isnt multilingual so using the music feature is utterly pointless trying to get it to play songs by an english artist when its set to german or spanish is nearly impossible.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:15 AM   #56
willydimes
macrumors member

I understand their point but is it me or is it getting pretty stale to see them constantly bashing apple products to try and win people over. I just feel bad for them honestly.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:16 AM   #57
Intelligent
macrumors 6502a

But the iPhone can set reminders.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:18 AM   #58
Tech198
macrumors 601

..and this "compare" will always continue, to try and bash other products only when they know they SIri, can't do it, or Siri can't do that.

I mean, doe it really matter now days,,, just get the phone you want and quick complaining MS.

It's not a race to the finish line, although most manufactures reckon it is..

It's about time companies know its about choice... & features ...that's it

If that is really important to you, then why bother coming out with the bashing/suttle difference ?

They make it sound like it's a big deal...... As, though any company actually enjoys bashing other products..... Try not to loose your kool Microsoft.

You haven't got much left.

You can bet though now MS to take a stab... Apple will have to follow suit with this "new phone that does something better than this MS phone"

I'm getting tired of the whole race..... (What else is on)
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:21 AM   #59
Col4bin
macrumors 6502

It's a fact that Siri is a joke. It hardly ever works, but still people defend it. I use Google Now on my 4S and it just works better.
Col4bin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:27 AM   #60
Intelligent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Siri also isnt multilingual so using the music feature is utterly pointless trying to get it to play songs by an english artist when its set to german or spanish is nearly impossible.
Then stop using Siri? Cortana only has English and Chinese so it would not be better at using German or Spanish.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col4bin View Post
It's a fact that Siri is a joke. It hardly ever works, but still people defend it. I use Google Now on my 4S and it just works better.
No. Thats your opinion. According to me Siri is great.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:28 AM   #61
maflynn

Quote:
Siri was a great innovation, to be sure, but apple never really did anything with it. Google, and MS not only caught up with it, but surpassed Siri in features and abilities.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:33 AM   #62
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe View Post
“We have to let go of this notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose,”
— Steve Jobs,
Macworld, August 1997
A better Microsoft = a better Apple
Consumers need more than 2 choices.
osofast240sx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:35 AM   #63
Tech198
macrumors 601

For one, MS never has the "....this is in BETA." and will come come "out of beta"

Maybe this is why Apple did this? so they can pull a good reason "Hey,, siri was in beta, there are no reason for forced improvements" It would be just "wherever the hell we feel like it"
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:37 AM   #64
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
For one, MS never has the "....this is in BETA." and will come come "out of beta"
Well technically they did, as they released a DP for people to try WP8.1 and Cortana.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:44 AM   #65
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelligent View Post
Then stop using Siri? Cortana only has English and Chinese so it would not be better at using German or Spanish.

----------

No. Thats your opinion. According to me Siri is great.
oh i disabled it 3 iPhones ago
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:45 AM   #66
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
oh i disabled it 3 iPhones ago
Same here, I don't even use Siri at this point myself.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:51 AM   #67
UKgaryb
macrumors member

Siri works perfectly for me for everything i need it for, use it daily.

Also ironic considering Bungee developed Halo for the mac before Microsoft bought them.
UKgaryb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:53 AM   #68
Merode
macrumors 6502

Siri is that feature that every new iPhone user tests for 10 minutes and then forgets about it. Not only doesn't it support my native language, but it also has issues with slavic accent when speaking English. Anyway, I should be glad we're getting dictation support for Polish this fall. Besides, there's not much to do with Siri. You also look creepy talking to it on the bus etc.

As to Cortana - it seems better, except it doesn't support A LOT of languages. I also doubt it can really do anything more than Siri where I live. I bet it won't be used much as well.

As to the ad - it's not bad. Apple did the same thing a few years ago and world didn't mind. Don't be upset - it's much better than what Samsung does and Microsoft has a point here. Of course they're showing parts where Windows Phone is better. The problems start when you go to Nokia's website just to find out what can you get to replace your iPhone 4S. It turns out all their phones except huge ones are rubbish (bigger = better there, duh).
Merode is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:58 AM   #69
jeffe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash84x View Post
Ugh, still using the old voice even though they're depicting iOS 7. But more glaringly, I create location based reminders primarily with Siri, what are they talking about?

----------

]
I think the key is that he did not specify which flowershop, he just said 'any flowershop', conceivably, this could potentially remind him even if he's at the grocery store. Maybe SIRI can do that..I know google now can't.

However, we can be sure they'll both be updated to match Cortana's capabilities.
jeffe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:02 AM   #70
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Siri works fine for many people, depending on their use.

It's analogous to fingerprint ID sensors. You are either one of those people where the fingerprint ID works very well for you. Or you are one of those people where it NEVER seems to work correctly for you, for some odd reason. Sometimes you come up with excuses, you have fat fingers, you have sweaty fingers, you have other excuses, but it simply NEVER works for you.

But it does work for many other users. So stop judging it for them.
Solomani is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:02 AM   #71
jeffe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
I see usability issues:
  1. When the person calls, instead of letting you to talk, the OS distracts you with a reminder popup. That could be quite annoying.
  2. What if that person never calls you?

Why not just call them first - if it's that important? And if it's not that important, why are you creating reminders?

I think there's a reason Apple left this out.
Uhh it's not a feature you need to use. If you're annoyed by being reminded of something then just don't set the reminder.

IMO the only reason Apple left this out is because they haven't gotten to it yet or had not thought of it.
jeffe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:04 AM   #72
saboteur
macrumors newbie

It is never good when you feel the need to prove yourself against another competitor. When apple did the I'm a Mac and I'm a PC commercial they where smart enough to never use actual products, they where about the "cool" factor not features.
saboteur is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:07 AM   #73
macsforever
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxxv View Post
she's from HALO. She is cool as and they are great games, cortana rocks. If only apple had her
Apple will have WATSON and we'll see what RISC can do haha. I wish Apple would go back to the RISC processor because they SPANK anything Intel or AMD offers.
macsforever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:09 AM   #74
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzosushi View Post
Well that was embarrassing... more free advertisement for Apple.

I don't think I know any of my iPhone friends ever using Siri for anything more than asking silly questions hoping for a snarky reply.
I use Siri a lot when I'm in the car to make phonecalls (well, try to use it). One of the main problems with Siri is that it's all online. It shouldn't have to bounce off Apple's servers if you just want to make a phonecall -- stuff like that should be offline. It's insanely frustrating when you're trying to do a simple thing and you've got no 3G/wifi.

And yet in iOS 4 (maybe even earlier) you had basic voice commands to make calls, which ironically works better than Siri if you're on a drive with inconsistent 3G signal. It's a joke.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:11 AM   #75
saboteur
macrumors newbie

Actually, Siri is the one how looks smarter, Cortana is only reacting to actions, but Siri is being active, she understands the conversation and is interacting by is on initiative. I believe that's is called Artificial Intelligence (you dumb MS...)
saboteur is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion