Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:38 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Bare Logic Boards for 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Compared in New Photos

Following the publication of several photos over the weekend showing what was claimed to be the bare logic board for the upcoming 4.7-inch iPhone 6, Nowherelse.fr now shares [Google Translate] a new set of photos showing the same part reportedly from the even larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 model.

The photos include side-by-side comparisons of the part from both iPhone 6 models and the iPhone 5s, and while it does not appear to be confirmed which iPhone 6 logic board is for which device size, there are now clearly two distinct parts larger than the current iPhone 5s logic board.

Logic board fronts left to right: newly shown iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, previous iPhone 6
(Click for larger)
The component layout of the logic boards from the two iPhone 6 models appear very similar, but the board design and screw hole layout are somewhat different, particularly on the upper portion of the board including the arm extending across the top of the device above the battery. As with the first logic board, this part allegedly includes support for near field communications (NFC).

Logic board backs left to right: newly shown iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, previous iPhone 6
(Click for larger)
While the legitimacy of the parts can not be confirmed, they do appear very similar to existing parts and exhibit complexity that would be expensive to fake. They also contain part numbers (820-3675-04 and 820-2486-09) in the pattern followed by Apple. Finally, the two logic boards measure 57.1 mm and 61.5 mm wide, meaning that certainly the larger one and probably the smaller one must be for larger devices considering the iPhone 5s has an overall width of 58.6 mm.

The iPhone 6 is expected to debut around the September timeframe, although it is unclear whether that launch will include both versions or only the 4.7-inch model. Rumors have been split on whether the 5.5-inch model will launch simultaneously or up to several months later due to production challenges.

Article Link: Bare Logic Boards for 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Compared in New Photos
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Baklava
macrumors 6502a

Gigantic battery for the 5.5-inch model.
MacRumors 'iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Popping Up in China [...]' - BornAgainMac 'This is what that Chinese chick was trying to say during the keynote. That it was going to be released early in China.'
Baklava is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:40 AM   #3
A. Dumbledore
macrumors member

Come on 5.5 inch 😁
A. Dumbledore is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:41 AM   #4
SmoMo
macrumors regular

" they do appear very similar to existing parts and exhibit complexity that would be expensive to fake"

Not expensive to fake in Photoshop!
SmoMo is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:44 AM   #5
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

These leaks are finally showing that the 5.5" model appears to be happening. Hopefully we will see a case/screen leak soon to put all these conflicting rumors to rest.

I know some members of my family definitely want the 5.5" model. I really like using the iPhone with one hand, so I likely will go with the 4.7" model, but we shall see. I think this may be the first time I hold off until I see them in person.
zedsdead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:44 AM   #6
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Still find it difficult apple will have a new variant of their "C" iPhone, and then these two brand new "premium" models weighing in with two larger screen sizes. That's 2-3 brand new models this year.
Dwalls90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:44 AM   #7
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

I just hope they announce and release the 5.5" iPhone 6 at the same time as the 4.7" model. If Apple plays their cards right, I'll be making the switch back from Android.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:46 AM   #8
taptic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baklava View Post
Gigantic battery for the 5.5-inch model.
And yet, Apple will still find a way to make it last only thirty minutes...
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:50 AM   #9
diddl14
macrumors 6502

After weeks and weeks they finally get the parts, and than make pictures on a crappy background...
diddl14 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:52 AM   #10
Henriok
macrumors regular

The A8 is a bit smaller than the A7 in the iPhone 5S. And it's a bit less rectangular too. This does not reflect anything significantly regarding the technology itself since it's only the dimensions of the packaging, but it's an interesting tidbit.
Henriok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:52 AM   #11
t.gillespie
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShap5 View Post
And yet, Apple will still find a way to make it last only thirty minutes...
Look in the mirror.. this is the culprit of that issue! I make it through the day with moderate use and still have 30-40% left after a 5am - 10pm day. Thats with moderate texting, some news browsing, a few Facebook posts, a few calls and a boat load of email..

Every time I see complaints about battery.. it's almost always because they left apps like Facebook running in the background after using it.. I always close all my apps down.. The FB and other notifications still get through just fine.. don't need to leave the app open.. that just kills battery.
t.gillespie is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:55 AM   #12
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
More wasted space. Of what value is a photo of circuitry to readers? Of what benefit is it? So, they moved a screw hole and it's complex. It doesn't provide any information on features, benefits, or final visible design, so why waste the bandwidth?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:00 AM   #13
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
More wasted space. Of what value is a photo of circuitry to readers? Of what benefit is it? So, they moved a screw hole and it's complex. It doesn't provide any information on features, benefits, or final visible design, so why waste the bandwidth?
It's for one, a click generator, and two, it gives the opportunity for 5.5" lovers to re-iterate their desire for a larger phone for the 47th time
RightMACatU is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:04 AM   #14
Henriok
macrumors regular

Quote:
How much bandwidth do you think been wasted really? And.. I agree, this does not reveal much. There doesn't seem to be much new besides rearranging of the components. But that, in itself, does reveal that there won't be much ground breaking news. And that is news.

But we might have to look in more detail, like counting the number of ribbon connectors that could lead to more sensors and antennas (like NFC).
Henriok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:05 AM   #15
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

It's hard for me to understand what exactly we're supposed to get out of these component photos.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:09 AM   #16
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

More leaks.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:11 AM   #17
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.gillespie View Post
Every time I see complaints about battery.. it's almost always because they left apps like Facebook running in the background after using it.. I always close all my apps down.. The FB and other notifications still get through just fine.. don't need to leave the app open.. that just kills battery.
iOS doesnt work that way ....

however i do close them but its more like an OCD issue than battery concerns
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:11 AM   #18
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Dumbledore View Post
Come on 5.5 inch 😁
And the smart ones here all are crying a little on the inside that Apple is making phablets. But I guess they'll sell so it's not all bad.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:12 AM   #19
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

They are equal size in height, maybe that means that the new iphone wont be too tall.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:14 AM   #20
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
It's hard for me to understand what exactly we're supposed to get out of these component photos.
Well this component photo specifically - I get disappointment from it.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:14 AM   #21
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
I just hope they announce and release the 5.5" iPhone 6 at the same time as the 4.7" model. If Apple plays their cards right, I'll be making the switch back from Android.
I don't understand how anyone could switch from iOS just to get a bigger screen..

Is putting up with the crappy software and lack of integration into the rest of the Apple ecosystem worth it just to get a bigger screen? Is a slightly bigger screen that important to you?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:18 AM   #22
A. Dumbledore
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And the smart ones here all are crying a little on the inside that Apple is making phablets. But I guess they'll sell so it's not all bad.
If there's a market for them, then why not? Let's be honest though, both phones should do great.
A. Dumbledore is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:20 AM   #23
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502

5.5'' is a reality, thankfully!!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:26 AM   #24
1Zach1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four oF NINE View Post
I don't understand how anyone could switch from iOS just to get a bigger screen..

Is putting up with the crappy software and lack of integration into the rest of the Apple ecosystem worth it just to get a bigger screen? Is a slightly bigger screen that important to you?
Widgets, bigger screen, better screen to device size ratio and more customization options are what keep me at Android right now. I don't have any issue with the software and it integrates just fine into my ecosystem.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:32 AM   #25
taptic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.gillespie View Post
Look in the mirror.. this is the culprit of that issue! I make it through the day with moderate use and still have 30-40% left after a 5am - 10pm day. Thats with moderate texting, some news browsing, a few Facebook posts, a few calls and a boat load of email..

Don't assume so much. I also keep most apps closed at all times. Usually I only have mail open. The 5 and 5s aren't as bad, but the 4s is pretty terrible even with a new battery. And a phone ought to be able to do more than just "moderate" usage before the battery is drained.

----------

Quote:
Well nobody knows for sure if the iphone 6 will really be released this summer. We can only assume so because that's the way it's ben for a little while now. This at least let's us know that production is getting started.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion