Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
What are the reason why apple would do such a small speed bump ? 200MHz is next to nothing.. let alone anything to freak out about.

Other than just marketing.

It has nothing to do with Apple. Intel are refreshing the chips, so the existing parts Apple are using will cease to exist as inventory dries up in the supply chain.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
There should be some nice deals coming on the existing models, which I recommended people buy over the spec bumped versions.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It has nothing to do with Apple. Intel are refreshing the chips, so the existing parts Apple are using will cease to exist as inventory dries up in the supply chain.

ya, i get that, but why does Apple have to do this then? If they know its only 200Mhz increase, i guess its just for marketing purposes and more money.

a big jump, i would say "yes"

an increase may be an increase, no matter how small of one, but still..... people are more out for the bigger changes, not small difference . It may interest a few first time buyers, but don't expect everyone to sell their old mac's overnight for a small bump.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I fully know this is true. But I still want an 8xx GPU in there. I'll be ordering the dGPU model either way, but please Apple. Please.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
It's more Intel's fault than Apple's. Had Intel been on time with their chips, we would've seen a new and noteworthy MBP update. I guess all the major stuff has been pushed back to March 2015.

I'm sure by then they'll roll everything out together with many new bells and whistles.

I know, apple could at least give us the 800 series gpus though. But, I see the point, I guess this is a good reason for apple to become less dependent on Intel in the future,... though I don't really see how they will do that and it will benefit the users.
Right now I guess there's no reason to update any of the Macs for Apple. I wouldn´t mind an iMac with the latest Haswell and Geforce 880m gpu, but still the update is hardly worth it.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
ya, i get that, but why does Apple have to do this then? If they know its only 200Mhz increase, i guess its just for marketing purposes and more money.

a big jump, i would say "yes"

an increase may be an increase, no matter how small of one, but still..... people are more out for the bigger changes, not small difference . It may interest a few first time buyers, but don't expect everyone to sell their old mac's overnight for a small bump.

There's always a 'speed bump' mid-way through a microarchitecture's life cycle. Older parts are discontinued & refreshed with like-for-like incremental updated parts. This is nothing new.

Anyone would have to be clinically insane to sell their current Haswell machines for such a minor unnoticeable speed bump.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm glad my 2012 MBPr 15 is still 100% relevant this long after it's initial release.. For 95% of things, the 2012 with 650m is everybit the same as the current MBP and apparently future released MBP.. Money well spent! The performance differences in Haswell vs Ivy or 650m/750m aren't big enough.. Even battery life 7 vs 9 hours isn't enough either to justify upgrading but that could just be me. Just glad to hear I can keep my '12 another year being it's exactly the same hardware at least..

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Thats great news !!! Now please make 4K thunderbolt display apple !

My current setup is classic mbp + external monitor, if I buy the current retina mbp but still using "low res" ext monitor that would be useless imo.

JTgonzo

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
I'd love to see an SSD upgrade in the 13" rMBP. I need to upgrade (battery in my late 2010 MBP won't hold a charge), but want a 512 SSD, which right now means I have to go with the high end 13" model. I'd love to see a 512 SSD offered at least as an upgrade on a lower end model, and ideally standard on the mid-range model.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
What are the reason why apple would do such a small speed bump ? 200MHz is next to nothing.. let alone anything to freak out about.

Other than just marketing.

This is more likely a change in Intel's shipping than Apple's products. Likely that Intel is no longer delivering the 2013 Haswell and Apple now has to integrate this new chip into it's computers.

If this is purely a CPU spec bump, I'd expect a press release and nothing more. I'm hoping for a price drop if the 750M is still in play...

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I'd love to see an SSD upgrade in the 13" rMBP. I need to upgrade (battery in my late 2010 MBP won't hold a charge), but want a 512 SSD, which right now means I have to go with the high end 13" model. I'd love to see a 512 SSD offered at least as an upgrade on a lower end model, and ideally standard on the mid-range model.

I'm hoping for a price cut on the 1 TB SSD 13 inch MBP, currently it's a $500 add

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I'm glad my 2012 MBPr 15 is still 100% relevant this long after it's initial release.. For 95% of things, the 2012 with 650m is everybit the same as the current MBP and apparently future released MBP.. Money well spent! The performance differences in Haswell vs Ivy or 650m/750m aren't big enough.. Even battery life 7 vs 9 hours isn't enough either to justify upgrading but that could just be me. Just glad to hear I can keep my '12 another year being it's exactly the same hardware at least..

I have the same feeling as yours :D. I can keep mine for a long time.

dMgfOrrEal

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2014
Well....my refurbished late 2013 MBP 15 inch is being shipped.

When the refresh is announced, the refurbished ones' prices will obviously go down.

Do I need to return it and order it again to get the dropped price or can I just contact Apple to refund the amount that is discounted???

TSP23

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
Is this update worth returning mid level 13 inch Rmbp that I purchased last friday?

dMgfOrrEal

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2014
It just doesnt make sense to me saying as several GTX 800M series chips have been out for a couple months, including the 850m. By that time I'd imagine some 900 series mobile GPUs will be out.

Well, MBP has never had the latest and the greatest mGPU before anyways and it is not necessary....unless you are playing high intense 3D gaming. But who plays a serious games on MB? Get a PC for gaming. gg

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
Is this update worth returning mid level 13 inch Rmbp that I purchased last friday?

Really, the answer comes down to, if you can, why wouldn't you? Worst case scenario, you get a better machine for your money, best case scenario, you might save some money.

henryngan2006

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Yay!! This is super great news to me!! I was considering buying the updated model as it has more ram at the same price...but I didn't wanna wait until October. Now I can buy the lower model, configure it to 512gb ssd, get the 16gb ram, no longer need to pay extra dollars for the GPU that I don't need, enjoy college students discount and back to school promotion. This is soooooooo perfect :D

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana

Are you trying to convince us or yourself? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.