Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I don't understand how anyone could switch from iOS just to get a bigger screen..

Is putting up with the crappy software and lack of integration into the rest of the Apple ecosystem worth it just to get a bigger screen? Is a slightly bigger screen that important to you?

to put it simply, yes...

Especially if you are 6'6" like me. The current iPhone is simply too small to be used.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
These leaks are finally showing that the 5.5" model appears to be happening.

Unless this is a very good photoshop fake, a 3d printer fake or the board for the new iPad Mini. or even a leak of a part that might have been from a prototype that was rejected

The only real proof that said model is happening is when Tim and Co announce it. Until then who knows.

----------

Every time I see complaints about battery.. it's almost always because they left apps like Facebook running in the background after using it.. I always close all my apps down.. The FB and other notifications still get through just fine.. don't need to leave the app open.. that just kills battery. :rolleyes:

While you are correct about use being a factor, it's less about apps being open and more about the apps themselves. Bigger battery drainers are background app refresh (which is why folks notice a difference when they force quit the apps cause it kills that function), location services (especially with apps like Swarm which use LS constantly and don't quit when you force quit), having things like bluetooth on and constantly searching for something to connect to and so on.

Mashurrab

macrumors regular
May 30, 2014
I don't understand how anyone could switch from iOS just to get a bigger screen..

Is putting up with the crappy software and lack of integration into the rest of the Apple ecosystem worth it just to get a bigger screen? Is a slightly bigger screen that important to you?

I know someone who loves the iphone but he complains about big fingers that presses 4 buttons at once and bad eye site that a bigger screen should ease, so yes they can live with a bad software and crappy hardware to be able to use a "smart phone"

----------

Widgets, bigger screen, better screen to device size ratio and more customization options are what keep me at Android right now. I don't have any issue with the software and it integrates just fine into my ecosystem.

Bigger screen, yes
Better screen. No
Please check the technology used for screens

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
It's hard for me to understand what exactly we're supposed to get out of these component photos.

There are definitely two different devices, and both are likely to be larger than the 5s. Up to now this has been pure speculation (there have only been leaked cases for one size of device). Also, the circuits do not take much more area than the 5s, so the battery size is probably increased. Finally, the arrangement across the top is different from the 5s, indicating that there is probably some added functionality (this is not just a re-cased 5s).

The background looks real - probably a laminate desk, and the lighting is also plausible (the highlighting looks consistent across the background and the cards), so this looks like one of the most plausible leaks so far this year.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
iOS doesnt work that way ....

however i do close them but its more like an OCD issue than battery concerns :D

Well it does. Kinda.

Instead of killing the app, turn of Facebook's location services and background app refresh and that will boost your battery life.

There are loads of little things you can tweak that don't affect end user experience (Mainly it's just turning off the stuff that you don't use) that can get you a bit of extra juice out of your battery. Last time I posted a little guide I got hounded by members on here saying "Why should I have to cripple my device in order to get a decent battery life!?".

I tried to tell them that it in fact doesn't cripple your device at all, it just switches off the stuff you don't use, but they were having none of it.

Their loss.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The G3 is an excellent example of why a company should not increase the resolution for its sake. If anything, the G3 makes me want Apple not upgrade the screen other than making it more power efficient.

Well, I would upgrade the screen to 1920 x 1080. That is standard full HD, which is a universal standard size which would make using a lot of media products easier. At least for now, until 4K becomes mainstream.

tabber

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2014
maybe you should? iphone hasnt had the best screen for some time now. even my nexus 5 has a better sceen

http://www.lg.com/global/g3/index.html#specifications

Yep, all my iPhone friends even comment how clear and sharp my Nexus 5 screen is. It is an incredible screen. I bought it as a stop gap until the iphone 6 came out, as I just couldn't live with the 3.5" screen on my iPhone 4 any longer, and the iPhone 5s just wasn't enough of an upgrade (and not for double the price of an N5). I hope the battery is good on the i6, as the one on the N5 is pretty poor. Literally the only thing I dont like about it though, i'm suprised how good Android 4.4 and the Google ecosystem is. That wasnt really supposed to happen :)

My train to work 2 years, pretty much every commuter had an iPhone. Now its less than half, nearer a third. Apple need to wow a lot of people who have shifted away (including myself) with the new iphone, I hope they dont disappoint.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
I know someone who loves the iphone but he complains about big fingers that presses 4 buttons at once and bad eye site that a bigger screen should ease, so yes they can live with a bad software and crappy hardware to be able to use a "smart phone"

----------

Bigger screen, yes
Better screen. No
Please check the technology used for screens

"Better screen to device size ratio" not "better screen".

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
And the smart ones here all are crying a little on the inside that Apple is making phablets. But I guess they'll sell so it's not all bad.
So what you're saying is, only dumb people want 5.5" phones?
I really have a hard time understanding all the hate towards a bigger device. I can understand if you don't prefer it and leave it at that, but it's like some people are losing their minds about it.
Makes no sense.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Well, I would upgrade the screen to 1920 x 1080. That is standard full HD, which is a universal standard size which would make using a lot of media products easier. At least for now, until 4K becomes mainstream.

Agreed, the G3's screen resolution at this point is a negative for me. 1080p IMO

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Every time I see complaints about battery.. it's almost always because they left apps like Facebook running in the background after using it.. I always close all my apps down.. The FB and other notifications still get through just fine.. don't need to leave the app open.. that just kills battery. :rolleyes:

That's a common misbelief. You're not supposed to close apps down. If you're supposed to close apps, don't you think Apple would have implemented a "close all" button? You're only supposed to close down apps if they're malfunctioning and requires a restart.

If you want to save battery life, go into settings > background app refresh and disable Facebook.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Hold on. I'm sure I've got a pic around here of a new pan-head screw they're using on the 5.5....

ISanych

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
UK

It is very easy - when your have tiny unusable screen it is doesn't matter which OS is running on such device. Apple forced many users to try android and it is actually not bad at all.

SgtFire

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Has the home button leaked yet?

Not that I have seen. I check several sites several times a day and haven't seen a home button. Have seen a supposed backlight for the 5.5" model but just once.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Nice troll job. So your battery only lasts 30 minute or is that just BS?

With localization turned ON in Maps, my iPhone 5 lasts no more than 30 to 45 minutes, so this makes sense.

Now that I have bought an Automatic Link, it has a background localization service enabled that lasts much more than 45 minutes, but reduces my battery life of a good 30%.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Look in the mirror.. this is the culprit of that issue! I make it through the day with moderate use and still have 30-40% left after a 5am - 10pm day. Thats with moderate texting, some news browsing, a few Facebook posts, a few calls and a boat load of email.. :cool:

I'm not sure what other people use but I do the same thing as you, which is being productive and enjoy quick social media status updates, news reading, and texting throughout the day and my 5s will last through the day until I go to sleep. I've never have issue with battery.

My coworkers have insane battery issue and when I ask, they're streaming youtube and music all day long. This is a usage issue, not a battery issue. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.