Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:49 AM   #51
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcLovin View Post
seems apple is doing un-noteworthy updates across their entire product line this year.
What are they supposed to do otherwise seeing as how Intel has delayed Broadwell until next year?
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:53 AM   #52
TSP23
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful View Post
Really, the answer comes down to, if you can, why wouldn't you? Worst case scenario, you get a better machine for your money, best case scenario, you might save some money.
We will see.
TSP23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:58 AM   #53
efktd
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
any Mac updates are welcomed
efktd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 07:59 AM   #54
Steve121178
macrumors 68020
 
Steve121178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post
I'm glad my 2012 MBPr 15 is still 100% relevant this long after it's initial release
It's only two years old. You make it sound like it's an ancient piece of tech!
__________________
13" rMBP Haswell i5/16GB/512GB (Late '13) 21.5" iMac i5/16GB/1TB Fusion (Late '12) iPhone 6 64GB iPad mini 2
Steve121178 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:04 AM   #55
prknight324
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Need some advice

I got a 2007 mbp and its still doing well but I'm off to film school this september and these avid programs need to use so much ram and my computer can handle any of it. Was holding out for Broadwell...then thought skylake, but i don't think i can wait if there is another delay. What ya think i should do? Hold out and just work in the labs or get the refresh to be able to work around?

Much thanks
prknight324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:08 AM   #56
Steve121178
macrumors 68020
 
Steve121178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by prknight324 View Post
I got a 2007 mbp and its still doing well but I'm off to film school this september and these avid programs need to use so much ram and my computer can handle any of it. Was holding out for Broadwell...then thought skylake, but i don't think i can wait if there is another delay. What ya think i should do? Hold out and just work in the labs or get the refresh to be able to work around?

Much thanks
I'd get a loaded up 15" rMBP before September.
__________________
13" rMBP Haswell i5/16GB/512GB (Late '13) 21.5" iMac i5/16GB/1TB Fusion (Late '12) iPhone 6 64GB iPad mini 2
Steve121178 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:16 AM   #57
prknight324
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
I'd get a loaded up 15" rMBP before September.

Thanks! All suggestions are welcomed! Would definitely need a high grade one
prknight324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:16 AM   #58
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
It would at least be some consolation if they dropped the prices dramatically at the same time like they did with the MBA.
Shaun, UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:26 AM   #59
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
It would at least be some consolation if they dropped the prices dramatically at the same time like they did with the MBA.
They may have been making room for the Mac book air retina
osofast240sx is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:32 AM   #60
SpamJunkie
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dMgfOrrEal View Post
Well....my refurbished late 2013 MBP 15 inch is being shipped.

When the refresh is announced, the refurbished ones' prices will obviously go down.

Do I need to return it and order it again to get the dropped price or can I just contact Apple to refund the amount that is discounted???
I did the exact same thing, wondering the same
SpamJunkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:34 AM   #61
mario-64
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Why is everyone saying March 2015 for Broadwell and 8 series GPUs? Last Intel timeline I saw showed quad core Broadwell not releasing until next July. By then nvidia will likely have 9 series GPUs out. Shame on Apple if this 'refresh' doesn't include a new dGPU
mario-64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:41 AM   #62
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68030
 
CmdrLaForge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: around the world
Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
Looks like no 13" with a quad core then. So at the earliest Sep/Oct 2015.
__________________
rMacbook Pro 13" / Cinema Display 23" / iPad Air 128GB / iPhone5 white 16GB
CmdrLaForge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:50 AM   #63
Steve121178
macrumors 68020
 
Steve121178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrLaForge View Post
Looks like no 13" with a quad core then. So at the earliest Sep/Oct 2015.
Try Skylake's release, around March 2016. Bear in mind that it's not a certainty that Skylake's quadcore parts will have a low enough TDP for the 13" rMBP.
__________________
13" rMBP Haswell i5/16GB/512GB (Late '13) 21.5" iMac i5/16GB/1TB Fusion (Late '12) iPhone 6 64GB iPad mini 2
Steve121178 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:51 AM   #64
deconstruct60
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangmanSwingset View Post
It just doesnt make sense to me saying as several GTX 800M series chips have been out for a couple months, including the 850m.
Did you miss the article highlighting that this is just speed bump component upgrade. 800M aren't "drop in" replacements for the 700M. Apple isn't investing anything in board tweaking and substantive new part validation.

The next gen board development money is likely coupled to the same board as has the new Broadwell and chipset updates. There weaving in an 800m isn't a big deal since the redesign constraints are opened up anyway.


Quote:
By that time I'd imagine some 900 series mobile GPUs will be out.
The upped end of the 800M series is GK based parts (i.e.., speed bumped 700 parts). Nvidia still need to flush out the rest of the line up. All 900 update in early 2015 would likely be is just clock speed bumped 800M models.

Nvidia is moving no where near as fast on architectural updates as their yearly hocus pocus on model number updates suggest. Doubtful Apple doesn't see through the "Its a new year, crank the product numbers" game.
deconstruct60 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:57 AM   #65
gim
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Short Off-Topic question:

Do I get the 100$ back to school gift card if I'm ordering from the Apple on Campus store? Or is it just limited to the normal edu store?
gim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:58 AM   #66
Steve121178
macrumors 68020
 
Steve121178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstruct60 View Post
Nvidia is moving no where near as fast on architectural updates as their yearly hocus pocus on model number updates suggest. Doubtful Apple doesn't see through the "Its a new year, crank the product numbers" game.
As Intel improves their integrated graphics solutions, the need & requirement for a discreet GPU gets less and less by the year. The integrated solutions are good enough for most users needs. I realise many, many users require a dGPU but NVIDIA really need to work on their power & heat issues as their GPU's can suck the life out of a battery.
__________________
13" rMBP Haswell i5/16GB/512GB (Late '13) 21.5" iMac i5/16GB/1TB Fusion (Late '12) iPhone 6 64GB iPad mini 2
Steve121178 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:00 AM   #67
koyoot
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstruct60 View Post
The upped end of the 800M series is GK based parts (i.e.., speed bumped 700 parts). Nvidia still need to flush out the rest of the line up. All 900 update in early 2015 would likely be is just clock speed bumped 800M models.

Nvidia is moving no where near as fast on architectural updates as their yearly hocus pocus on model number updates suggest. Doubtful Apple doesn't see through the "Its a new year, crank the product numbers" game.
850M and 860M are Maxwell chips. More importantly. In september we will see new chips 870MX, 880MX, 865M and 860MX, and 855M, and 850MX, all line based on Maxwell architecture. Nobody knows what exatcly will them be.

Eveything right now about new components is such mysterious, and... spooky.
koyoot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:03 AM   #68
moxxey
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
Totally unexciting.
What sort of 'totally exciting' addition were you expecting/hoping for, bearing in mind Apple's hands are tied with Broadwell?

It's amazing. Users complain Apple updates their products too often, whereas others complete the updates are 'not exciting enough' with each release.
moxxey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:06 AM   #69
MacMan988
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Time for me to sell my 17" MBP it seems...
MacMan988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:07 AM   #70
BlueXIII
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
I just got a fully loaded late 2013 15" rMBP on July 18th. Will I be able to exchange this at no cost?
BlueXIII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:10 AM   #71
mario-64
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
As Intel improves their integrated graphics solutions, the need & requirement for a discreet GPU gets less and less by the year. The integrated solutions are good enough for most users needs. I realise many, many users require a dGPU but NVIDIA really need to work on their power & heat issues as their GPU's can suck the life out of a battery.
iGPUs will NEVER be as powerful as dGPUs.The whole point of a Macbook "Pro" is that it offers high end components and specs (Apple certainly charges accordingly). A ~$2,000 laptop with only an iGPU is laughable
mario-64 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:11 AM   #72
Diversion
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentad View Post
Are you trying to convince us or yourself?
Not at all - the only thing that would make me want to upgrade and I was hoping it was already here was a new chassis design for the MBP. Now that the MBP15 is not the lightest/thinnest 15" on the market now, I would definately move into a 15" air or something lighter and still quad core. I am a Intel ARK freak and i know the differences between Haswell, Ivy, and future Baytrail.. but when you got the same exact chassis being used since 2012.. And knowing quadcore CPUs since Sandybridge and the performance is negligible in 95% of things I do, there's zero point to upgrade for an hour, maybe 2 hours of battery life.

Now if there was a 5 hour gap in battery life like the MBA12 to MBA13 (haswell) that was worth the upgrade (I did it, myself). But my '12 MBP15 has been viable for such a long time, Apple hasn't done ENOUGH to make me want to upgrade for internals alone.

If you never had a 12, then sure get a '13 model.. For people who still have a 12, trust me, don't upgrade until either Maxwell go on board or Broadwell gets in there for much better battery life. Or, like me, until a full chassis refresh (I'd love to see them go slightly under 4 lbs next time).
__________________
Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 13"
Diversion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:13 AM   #73
koyoot
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario-64 View Post
iGPUs will NEVER be as powerful as dGPUs.The whole point of a Macbook "Pro" is that it offers high end components and specs (Apple certainly charges accordingly). A ~$2,000 laptop with only an iGPU is laughable
In similar power envelope dGPU will very soon not be able to compete with Intel iGPUs.
koyoot is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:16 AM   #74
mario-64
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyoot View Post
in similar power envelope dgpu will very soon not be able to compete with intel igpus.
lol
mario-64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:20 AM   #75
Mackan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxxey View Post
What sort of 'totally exciting' addition were you expecting/hoping for, bearing in mind Apple's hands are tied with Broadwell?

It's amazing. Users complain Apple updates their products too often, whereas others complete the updates are 'not exciting enough' with each release.
I had hoped for a Maxwell GPU in there. But yes, I understand the hardware may not be ready for Apple's typical Fall update.
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC