Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prknight324

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
Need some advice

I got a 2007 mbp and its still doing well but I'm off to film school this september and these avid programs need to use so much ram and my computer can handle any of it. Was holding out for Broadwell...then thought skylake, but i don't think i can wait if there is another delay. What ya think i should do? Hold out and just work in the labs or get the refresh to be able to work around?

Much thanks

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I got a 2007 mbp and its still doing well but I'm off to film school this september and these avid programs need to use so much ram and my computer can handle any of it. Was holding out for Broadwell...then thought skylake, but i don't think i can wait if there is another delay. What ya think i should do? Hold out and just work in the labs or get the refresh to be able to work around?

Much thanks

I'd get a loaded up 15" rMBP before September.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
It would at least be some consolation if they dropped the prices dramatically at the same time like they did with the MBA.

SpamJunkie

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2003
Well....my refurbished late 2013 MBP 15 inch is being shipped.

When the refresh is announced, the refurbished ones' prices will obviously go down.

Do I need to return it and order it again to get the dropped price or can I just contact Apple to refund the amount that is discounted???

I did the exact same thing, wondering the same :rolleyes:

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Why is everyone saying March 2015 for Broadwell and 8 series GPUs? Last Intel timeline I saw showed quad core Broadwell not releasing until next July. By then nvidia will likely have 9 series GPUs out. Shame on Apple if this 'refresh' doesn't include a new dGPU

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
It just doesnt make sense to me saying as several GTX 800M series chips have been out for a couple months, including the 850m.

Did you miss the article highlighting that this is just speed bump component upgrade. 800M aren't "drop in" replacements for the 700M. Apple isn't investing anything in board tweaking and substantive new part validation.

The next gen board development money is likely coupled to the same board as has the new Broadwell and chipset updates. There weaving in an 800m isn't a big deal since the redesign constraints are opened up anyway.

By that time I'd imagine some 900 series mobile GPUs will be out.

The upped end of the 800M series is GK based parts (i.e.., speed bumped 700 parts). Nvidia still need to flush out the rest of the line up. All 900 update in early 2015 would likely be is just clock speed bumped 800M models.

Nvidia is moving no where near as fast on architectural updates as their yearly hocus pocus on model number updates suggest. Doubtful Apple doesn't see through the "Its a new year, crank the product numbers" game.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Short Off-Topic question:

Do I get the 100$ back to school gift card if I'm ordering from the Apple on Campus store? Or is it just limited to the normal edu store?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Nvidia is moving no where near as fast on architectural updates as their yearly hocus pocus on model number updates suggest. Doubtful Apple doesn't see through the "Its a new year, crank the product numbers" game.

As Intel improves their integrated graphics solutions, the need & requirement for a discreet GPU gets less and less by the year. The integrated solutions are good enough for most users needs. I realise many, many users require a dGPU but NVIDIA really need to work on their power & heat issues as their GPU's can suck the life out of a battery.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
The upped end of the 800M series is GK based parts (i.e.., speed bumped 700 parts). Nvidia still need to flush out the rest of the line up. All 900 update in early 2015 would likely be is just clock speed bumped 800M models.

850M and 860M are Maxwell chips. More importantly. In september we will see new chips 870MX, 880MX, 865M and 860MX, and 855M, and 850MX, all line based on Maxwell architecture. Nobody knows what exatcly will them be.

Eveything right now about new components is such mysterious, and... spooky. :)

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Totally unexciting.

What sort of 'totally exciting' addition were you expecting/hoping for, bearing in mind Apple's hands are tied with Broadwell?

It's amazing. Users complain Apple updates their products too often, whereas others complete the updates are 'not exciting enough' with each release.

BlueXIII

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2014
I just got a fully loaded late 2013 15" rMBP on July 18th. Will I be able to exchange this at no cost?

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
As Intel improves their integrated graphics solutions, the need & requirement for a discreet GPU gets less and less by the year. The integrated solutions are good enough for most users needs. I realise many, many users require a dGPU but NVIDIA really need to work on their power & heat issues as their GPU's can suck the life out of a battery.
iGPUs will NEVER be as powerful as dGPUs.The whole point of a Macbook "Pro" is that it offers high end components and specs (Apple certainly charges accordingly). A ~$2,000 laptop with only an iGPU is laughable

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Are you trying to convince us or yourself? ;)

Not at all - the only thing that would make me want to upgrade and I was hoping it was already here was a new chassis design for the MBP. Now that the MBP15 is not the lightest/thinnest 15" on the market now, I would definately move into a 15" air or something lighter and still quad core. I am a Intel ARK freak and i know the differences between Haswell, Ivy, and future Baytrail.. but when you got the same exact chassis being used since 2012.. And knowing quadcore CPUs since Sandybridge and the performance is negligible in 95% of things I do, there's zero point to upgrade for an hour, maybe 2 hours of battery life.

Now if there was a 5 hour gap in battery life like the MBA12 to MBA13 (haswell) that was worth the upgrade (I did it, myself). But my '12 MBP15 has been viable for such a long time, Apple hasn't done ENOUGH to make me want to upgrade for internals alone.

If you never had a 12, then sure get a '13 model.. For people who still have a 12, trust me, don't upgrade until either Maxwell go on board or Broadwell gets in there for much better battery life. Or, like me, until a full chassis refresh (I'd love to see them go slightly under 4 lbs next time).

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
iGPUs will NEVER be as powerful as dGPUs.The whole point of a Macbook "Pro" is that it offers high end components and specs (Apple certainly charges accordingly). A ~$2,000 laptop with only an iGPU is laughable

In similar power envelope dGPU will very soon not be able to compete with Intel iGPUs.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
What sort of 'totally exciting' addition were you expecting/hoping for, bearing in mind Apple's hands are tied with Broadwell?

It's amazing. Users complain Apple updates their products too often, whereas others complete the updates are 'not exciting enough' with each release.

I had hoped for a Maxwell GPU in there. But yes, I understand the hardware may not be ready for Apple's typical Fall update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.