Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wish I had more in the same vein to recommend, but I'll certainly keep an ear out for such things. Hopefully you'll do the same!

With pleasure.

My only other two recent discoveries are the lovely Danish singer/composer/songwriter Agnes Obel, (a sort of cross between Erik Satie and Yann Tiersen, with a slight touch of Edith Piaf), and a very talented and somewhat alcoholic Irish/Eastern European group called 'Mutefish' who made an excellent album (which I bought having watched them perform as street artists) called 'On Draught'.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Kraftwerk

Attachments

• kraftwerk-524efc2286838.jpg
    kraftwerk-524efc2286838.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 58

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Kraftwerk

Ah, I am of the age and vintage to remember when they first appeared.

Some wonderful music; I also recall a 'B' side of one of their singles……. Remember all of those discussions on whether 'B' sides allowed groups to write and perform dross, or, whether they allowed for experimental and slightly more adventurous or original music than might have been expected to appear on the 'A' side, which would invariably feature the sort of music that the group in question would be expected to produce?

Anyway, this particular 'B' side featured an electronic interpretation of Erik Satie's haunting 'Gymnopedie No 1', which has long been a favourite of mine. I was blown away by a modern group which even know of this piece, let alone decided to offer an electronic homage to it….

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The latest album (CD) which I have bought made by one of my favourite groups, namely the wonderful 'Pink Martini' from Portland, Oregon.

You are, well, one is, well, more precisely still, this one - me - is constantly surprised by the fact that time moves on in the lives of others, as well as mine. I have long loved the music of 'Pink Martini' - and have even had the privilege of seeing them perform live, a few years ago, when they gave a polished, gracious, lively and utterly accomplished performance in Dublin as part of their European tour.

However, I had forgotten that they might still be in the process of recording and producing fresh or new, albums. Browsing stuff online a little over a month ago, I took a look at their website, and spotted an album, a new one, that I had never heard of, whereupon I promptly ordered it and it was there, among a large pile of packages from Amazon when I returned home a few weeks ago.

The album is called 'Get Happy' and, as with everything ever recorded by the wonderful 'Pink Martini', it is, of course, excellent.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
An old one, yes, quite an old one, but still a very, very good one.

This is the 'Guitar Quintet in D Major, G. 448 (grave assai)', sometimes known as 'The Fandango' by Luigi Boccherini. This version is played by the Spanish group Los Romeros.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And a few oldies, but not quite as old as Luigi Boccherini's 'Guitar Quintet Fandango in D Major.'

Today's oldies date from a more recent vintage, namely that era of what must have seemed at the time to be bottomless optimism. I am writing, of course, of the sixties.

Anyway, I am listening to a selection of a few relatively minor hits from the sixties. These include, Dupree, Simon and The Big Sound, ''Kites", and "Castle In the Sky"; "The Gods" with their hit: "Hey, Bulldog", 'Herman's Hermits' with theirs, "No Milk Today", 'The Locomotive' with "Mr Armageddon"; it also includes 'Parking Lot' with "World Spinning Sadly", and, finally, 'The Yardbirds' with "For Your Love."

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A group called 'The Divine Comedy' (yes, named after Dante's book), with their album 'Casanova', (yes, that Casanova) and the track "Songs Of Love". This song was the theme music to the superb satirical (and occasionally scurrilous) British (and Irish) TV comedy series "Father Ted".

And tonight, I have been listening to "Something For The Week-End", "Becoming More Like Alfie", and "The Frog Princess" from the same album.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Had Tom Petty's new album on repeat for days now. Absolutely loving it. Currently listening to 'Shadow People' - real gem.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A trip back to 1983 - New Order’s “Power, Corruption and Lies”

Very good choice.

Actually, I am rather fond of some of the good stuff from the 1980s…….especially some of the good British stuff, such as, Simple Minds, Ultravox, Style Council, Dexy's Midnight Runners…….the Stranglers (even though they started out in the 1970s some of their best music came from the 1980s), and so on….

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Been on a metal kick and watching the highlights of the Sonisphere festival in the UK over the weekend, so with it being cloudy today, decided to tone it down.

Rediscovering Monica Ramos. Swedish/Chilean harpist. Very lush.

Two of her best from her biggest selling album, Moai:

Silencio Profundo (Deep Silence):

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.