Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:31 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Supply Chain Sources Claim December Launch for 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 and iWatch

Reports from within Apple's Asian supply chain (via GforGames) again suggest the company is planning to launch the 4.7-inch iPhone separately from the 5.5-inch model, with the latter model entering mass production in September. This staggered launch would allow Apple to debut the highly-anticipated 4.7-inch iPhone 6 early this fall and then follow with the iWatch and the larger iPhone model later this year.

The report claims a December launch for both the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and iWatch, which would be unusual timing for Apple given the holiday shopping season. The company generally prefers to launch its consumer-focused products before Black Friday kicks off holiday shopping in late November. But if supply constraints are an issue, it is possible Apple might choose to make a limited launch of the devices before the end of the year to get them onto shoppers' radars.

Apple is rumored to be planning its first press event in September, which will be used to unveil the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 along with the official release date of iOS 8. Apple may hold a second event in October to announce the next generation iPads, OS X Yosemite and possibly the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and the iWatch. Though announced in October, the latest report claims larger iPhone and iWatch may not hit retail shelves until December of this year.

Besides a larger display, the iPhone 6 is expected to include a faster A8 processor, an updated Touch ID fingerprint scanner and an improved camera module with some form of image stabilization technology.

Article Link: Supply Chain Sources Claim December Launch for 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 and iWatch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:46 AM   #2
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
December? That sucks
CrazyForApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Applefan 2013
macrumors 6502

We better buy our hand warmers and space heaters now, before the masses buy them all to wait in line!
Applefan 2013 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:48 AM   #4
HiRez
macrumors 601

December seems like a terrible time for an iWatch launch. Something that makes a perfect holiday gift arrives after a lot of people have already finished their shopping? Not so good. Even November is pushing it.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Alphabetize
macrumors 6502

I want this rumor to be true!
Alphabetize is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:50 AM   #6
marine0816
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIDG3T View Post
It was still in your head that the 5.5 would be released alongside the 4.7?

LOL.
Yes, I'm sorry if I'm not like you and don't know the date.. Since you apparently have knowledge of it, do you care to share it?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:53 AM   #7
colmaclean
macrumors 68000

I'd image if this is true it will a very limited December release, designed to grab the headlines from the competition.

Availability would be tight until well into Q1 2015.
colmaclean is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:55 AM   #8
Unconsoled
macrumors regular

No way there is a December release. Dumb rumor.
Unconsoled is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:57 AM   #9
A. Dumbledore
macrumors member

Aww ****!

The people saying bye apple and say they're screwing with us... Please remember this is a rumor website.
A. Dumbledore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:58 AM   #10
newdeal
macrumors 68000

If they aren't releasing both phones at the same time then the only sensible thing to do is to announce and open preorders for both at the same time and just make people who want the bigger one to wait longer. If the I watch won't ship until closer to Christmas then that is another item that they should do preorders for starting in November
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:06 AM   #11
marine0816
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebabselector View Post
It's a phone - get over it. Chances are the reports are 100% wrong - if you're upset over this I wouldn't want to see you with a real issue.
To the person that is on a iPhone website
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:08 AM   #12
dvoros
macrumors 6502

December release

Fire the jerks who thought of this
dvoros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:10 AM   #13
aloyouis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
December seems like a terrible time for an iWatch launch. Something that makes a perfect holiday gift arrives after a lot of people have already finished their shopping? Not so good. Even November is pushing it.
Why? Announce it and make it available for pre-order with a guaranteed pre-Christmas delivery date. Apple will sell millions and millions as Christmas gifts in addition to those that they would sell directly to the consumer/end user. Brilliant!

I won't even mention it around the house and I bet it is under the tree for me on Christmas Day. (Rumour has it that I have a few pounds to lose and the iWatch might help).
aloyouis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:12 AM   #14
imwoblin
macrumors 6502

I'm sure glad I don't get that excited by iPhone launches anymore. I've waited in lines for hours ever since the original launch and still have every previously released model. I'll just grab the next release online or a day or two after launch.
The torch is passed.......
imwoblin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:12 AM   #15
Moto G
Banned

All this '5.5" coming later' talk is simply hilarious. Not being able to let go of one's self delusion is called denial. Can YOU REALLY imagine Apple releasing TWO sizes of the same phone within a few months?

Snap out of the daydream - 5.5" is imaginary.
Moto G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:13 AM   #16
britboyj
macrumors 6502

Considering the number of supply chain leaks Apple has had over the past few years, it wouldn't shock me if Apple deliberately obfuscated parts orders and assembly projections just to **** with them, as well as selectively leak certain facts to certain folks to determine where the leaks were coming from.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:14 AM   #17
sza
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
How exactly is Apple toying with us? They haven't announced anything. These analysts and supply chain leakers don't know anything about Apple's plans. This is pure speculation and guess work. Save your judgement for when Apple actually makes an announcement.
However, rumors about Apple are always true...
sza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:15 AM   #18
marine0816
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
Not protecting Apple. You said Apple is toying with us because a rumor said they would release one phone later than another. I asked how Apple is toying with us, please, do tell.
You're angry cause I said Apple is toying with us? WOW
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:18 AM   #19
brendu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto G View Post
All this '5.5" coming later' talk is simply hilarious. Not being able to let go of one's self delusion is called denial. Can YOU REALLY imagine Apple releasing TWO sizes of the same phone within a few months?

Snap out of the daydream - 5.5" is imaginary.
If Apple has shown us anything this year it is to stop thinking Apple won't do something because they haven't done it before... The 5.5" iPhone may well happen. Samsung has proven there is a market for the size.

----------

Last edited by maflynn; Jul 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Removed deleted post fro quote
brendu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:21 AM   #20
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Sites like MacRumors need to put this stuff through a BS test before they publish it on their site. When has Apple ever launched a flagship product in December? That makes zero sense. Just because some Far East site claims something doesn't mean the rumors sites have to publish it.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:31 AM   #21
Moto G
Banned

I'm willing to place a serious bet with anyone who'd like to take me up on it. My proposal is simple; I bet 4,720 that Apple will not release a 5.5" iPhone before summer/autumn next year, if at all.

I am 100% serious, so who's up for it?
Moto G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:33 AM   #22
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
If they aren't releasing both phones at the same time then the only sensible thing to do is to announce and open preorders for both at the same time and just make people who want the bigger one to wait longer. If the I watch won't ship until closer to Christmas then that is another item that they should do preorders for starting in November
Agreed. If it's a staggered launch they have to at least announce both with details and pricing IMO.
THE JUICEMAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:17 AM   #23
fallenjt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
Exactly. There's no way that Apple will make that kind of stagger annoucements. It doesn't
Make any business sense. Either they announce both at the same time or only one model a year.
fallenjt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:19 AM   #24
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
Closed for moderator review

Thread has been reopened. Stop with the arguing, insults and name calling.

Last edited by maflynn; Jul 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM.
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:34 AM   #25
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Unless a delay couldn't be avoided, I can't believe iPhone6 5.5/iWatch would be released so late in the holiday season.
KdParker is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion