Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
There is no 5.5" iPhone. This could be an iPad Mini part. Could be a redesigned Apple TV part. Apple hasn't updated Apple TV in a while and could want to catch up to Amazon Fire TV in features.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
There is no 5.5" iPhone. This could be an iPad Mini part. Could be a redesigned Apple TV part. Apple hasn't updated Apple TV in a while and could want to catch up to Amazon Fire TV in features.

Odd that you would mention an iPad Mini as there were people just as sure that the iPad Mini didn't exist either.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
It is very easy - when your have tiny unusable screen it is doesn't matter which OS is running on such device. Apple forced many users to try android and it is actually not bad at all.

It is actually bad. :( Most of my friends are using androids with the latest samsung note & s5, LG, nexus, etc. They hate using it and can't wait to get back to iOS once Apple came out with a bigger screen. An example is that people here complain about unable to delete about 10 stock apps. Samsun forced 200 apps on to their Note and you can't delete it at all, except restoring/rooting it. That is the skill for tech incline people, not normal users.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If there's a market for them, then why not? Let's be honest though, both phones should do great.

Long story short, Apple should make what they think is the best products, but just catering blindly to a market want.

So what you're saying is, only dumb people want 5.5" phones?
I really have a hard time understanding all the hate towards a bigger device. I can understand if you don't prefer it and leave it at that, but it's like some people are losing their minds about it.
Makes no sense.
No. I am saying Apple making a 5.5 inch phone is wrong. But I agree with you it's a polarising issue. Some love their oversized phones and others think they are toxic cancer. One side or the other is how most people sit on this issue.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It's hard for me to understand what exactly we're supposed to get out of these component photos.

Yeah, it's not like we can discern any meaningful information out of those images, like amount of ram, possible new features (they still can't confirm or deny the inclusion of NFC), processor specs etc. so why bother?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I just hope they announce and release the 5.5" iPhone 6 at the same time as the 4.7" model. If Apple plays their cards right, I'll be making the switch back from Android. :D

Even with the current model lots of people where making the switch to the iPhone. If anything the larger models will just increase the rate of people moving to the iPhone.

I am mainly refering to the first time users of the iPhone since a relatively small amount of iPhone user actually switched for the android OS. Most moved for the larger screen, and I am sure they will come back regardless of when the 5.5 model is released.

DRP52

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
Toronto
Bring on the 5.5"!!!!! And I predict a 5.5" release along side the 4.7", just in smaller quantities of the two.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Welp, so much for the "5.5" iPhone 6 doesn't exist" comments.
I'm sure those comments will keep coming until the announcement of the 5.5" iPhone (if that happens). People are already saying that the 5.5" device is anything but an iPhone.

No. I am saying Apple making a 5.5 inch phone is wrong.
This is how I think Apple will take their iDevices in the future.

Old:
iPhone: One-handed use, pocketable.

New:
iWatch: Quick notifications/input, one-handed use.
iPhone: Pocketable.

An 5.5" iPhone would give more display space while still being able to fit in a pocket.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Odd that you would mention an iPad Mini as there were people just as sure that the iPad Mini didn't exist either.

I wasn't one of those Mini doubters. The mini had TONS of leaked parts. We haven't had TONS of leaked parts for a 5.5" phone. As a matter of fact... we have had none except for this logic board... and this part could be for anything... like I said... an iPad Mini or a redesigned Apple TV.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I wasn't one of those Mini doubters. The mini had TONS of leaked parts. We haven't had TONS of leaked parts for a 5.5" phone. As a matter of fact... we have had none except for this logic board... and this part could be for anything... like I said... an iPad Mini or a redesigned Apple TV.
These has been a leaked back screen for it, as well as leaked schematics, and a leaked front panel.

biggrim

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Can I ask a potentially silly question? Why the two different sized logic boards? Why not make them all the same size (reduce cost) so that there is slightly more room in the alleged 5.5" for a bigger battery to support the larger screen? doesn't make sense for two different sizes if the devices are going to be the same internal spec like the ipad Air and mini retina. Only difference is the screen size. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Can I ask a potentially silly question? Why the two different sized logic boards? Why not make them all the same size (reduce cost) so that there is slightly more room in the alleged 5.5" for a bigger battery to support the larger screen? doesn't make sense for two different sizes if the devices are going to be the same internal spec like the ipad Air and mini retina. Only difference is the screen size. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Well IF (big if) there is a 5.5" version, the rumors have suggested that it may have some features over the 4.7" version. Apple probably doesn't want people making Frankenstein iPhones with parts mixed and matched from both.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Am I the only one who doesnt get these "logic board leaks"? I mean rarely do they ever reveal something.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Lets see which comes first, the iphone 6 launch or a working iphone 6 from all these parts.....

----------

Am I the only one who doesnt get these "logic board leaks"? I mean rarely do they ever reveal something.

the iphone 6 is larger than iphone 5 :)

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The A8 is a bit smaller than the A7 in the iPhone 5S. And it's a bit less rectangular too. This does not reflect anything significantly regarding the technology itself since it's only the dimensions of the packaging, but it's an interesting tidbit.

A7 = 28nm
A8 = 20nm
A9 = 14nm :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.