Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
Yeah, my iphone has 16 gb and I don't have big apps, only music is up to 2.7 gb plus 18 gb on onedrive so I got that going for me

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
After deducting the OS, music, apps, and pictures/videos I'm over the 16GB, so while 32GB is over kill, 16GB is too small.

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
I mostly end up using it for email, general surfing, various social apps, etc. and 16 GB seems to be fine. Not sure why social media stuff would really end up eating much space.

Becuase with social media, you post pics. Pics take up space. I have around 1200 pics that takes up a little over 7 gigs and they all have to do with social media. In a 16 GB iphone, you only get around 12-13 usable space. 7 gigs is more than half of the usable storage ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Becuase with social media, you post pics. Pics take up space. I have around 1200 pics that takes up a little over 7 gigs and they all have to do with social media. In a 16 GB iphone, you only get around 12-13 usable space. 7 gigs is more than half of the usable storage ;)
So it's more photos than social media per se (given that photos can be backed up to somewhere like Dropbox, Flikr, computer, etc. from the phone while they are still there on social media after they have been posted without the need for them to still be on the phone necessarily).

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Goodness, no. My phone is 64GB. I take too many photos and have my entire iTunes music library on my phone!

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I need a 32gb. I'm always running out of space and hate having to put things on my iPod since I rarely take it out with me anymore.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I would always grab the 16GB iPhone until this past Feb I decided to grab me a 64GB and my wife 32GB 5S. Definitely won't be looking back after this. I love having the extra space for apps, photos, and music.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I have 16gb but never use it all - no music, large games or movies on there.

8gb would be plenty for me.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
16 Gig has always worked good enough for me. I don't keep any apps that I'm not using on my phone, and when I want to play a large game I download it, play it, and then delete it and if I ever want it again I can redownload it. Micro-managing my phone has never been an issue for me. I always have between 5-7 gig available. Used to be a problem, but Spotify and such has freed up lots of previously used space.

I would like to move up to 32 gigs if it ever becomes the default version. :cool:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
16gb is more than enough for the tens of millions of people that buy it.

It's enough if you don't use your phone as a media device. Way too many still use their phones as a mobile phone and don't need the 'smartphone' bit. They just make calls, send SMS, use the camera, check emails and browse occasionally for train tickets and cinema listings. 16GB for people who listen to music, download videos and install tons of apps is a tiny amount of storage space.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
It's enough if you don't use your phone as a media device. Way too many still use their phones as a mobile phone and don't need the 'smartphone' bit. They just make calls, send SMS, use the camera, check emails and browse occasionally for train tickets and cinema listings. 16GB for people who listen to music, download videos and install tons of apps is a tiny amount of storage space.

I listen to music but stream all of it; I don't seen the point in keeping music files on a device. At least not more than the occasional album or playlist for offline use.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Nope. I have a 64GB 5S and take a TON of photos. Just had to delete a few hundred because I was bumping up against the limit as it is. The extra space allows me to be a bit lazy and not delete things as often.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Nope. I have a 64GB 5S and take a TON of photos. Just had to delete a few hundred because I was bumping up against the limit as it is. The extra space allows me to be a bit lazy and not delete things as often.
Just auto back up them to the clouds then you're free to delete them

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I listen to music but stream all of it; I don't seen the point in keeping music files on a device. At least not more than the occasional album or playlist for offline use.

Thats all good but when i travel and there is no reception, streaming kind of doesn't work. So yea space is a necessity in poor reception areas. 64gb is the only option for me.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I prefer to use an iPod touch to listen to my music while commuting because I like to save my battery juice on the iPhone for surfing and using it as a phone.

I typically keep one or two albums on my iPhone so I have a fallback if my iPod dies or I don't have it with me.

Both are 16gb versions.

I have 8.4Gb of space left on my iPhone.

Very interesting to see other peoples needs and wants and usage.

OKERO

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
Plantation, Florida
Currently have a 16GB 5S and honestly, it doesn't work out for me. I take A LOT of photos and videos and have to constantly let them upload and then proceed to delete them at the end of my days. I do not have any music on them and just the essential applications that I do use. Other than that, would be nice to have a sd card slot or the functionality to hook up a USB and play music from it. But Pandora keeps me going.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
16 gig is fine for those who will not use all the space for massive data collection (e.g education / office workers , padded down to the workplace stuff) But for someone like me who wants media on the iPad all the time, 16 gigs is just way too low. This time I went with a 64gig iPad. Was tempting to get the 128Gig iPad Air, but i think 64 gig was a great compromise. 7 gigs of melbourne,sydney trip photos (high quality photos of course looks awesome on a retina display!) 25 gigs of music 6 gigs of videos. Leaves me with around 10 gigs. :)

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I have a 32 GB iPhone 5 but will be dropping to s 16 GB iPhone 6 if they are available. I recently picked up a 64 GB iPod Touch 5G fit all my music so a huge phone is no longer needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.