Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Is this update worth returning mid level 13 inch Rmbp that I purchased last friday?

Since it'll be within a week of purchase...you can just return it for a refund/replacement. And if you're getting a spec bump for free, that's gonna be great.

jpm224

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
If the 16gb standard gets applied to the 13 inch line as well without a price hike, I am going to be PISSED. Just bought the 2.6-8-512 model a month ago :mad:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
iGPUs will NEVER be as powerful as dGPUs.The whole point of a Macbook "Pro" is that it offers high end components and specs (Apple certainly charges accordingly). A ~$2,000 laptop with only an iGPU is laughable

If Apple could get away with it then they would remove the dGPU option entirely from all their consumer machines, but obviously Intel are not quite there yet with performance matching dGPU's.

FWIW, I'm a professional user and don't need a dGPU in my laptop. Intel's integrated IRIS solution is more than good enough for my needs and drives that retina display with ease.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
If Apple could get away with it then they would remove the dGPU option entirely from all their consumer machines, but obviously Intel are not quite there yet with performance matching dGPU's.

FWIW, I'm a professional user and don't need a dGPU in my laptop. Intel's integrated IRIS solution is more than good enough for my needs and drives that retina display with ease.

Intel HD6100 from 28W Dual core CPU will be faster than Intel HD 5200 from MBP 15 from this year.

Because of this performance you got such big delays of Broadwell.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I’ll bite when I can get a 13” rMBP with quad-core, 16gb RAM and 512gb flash for < $2K.

Does not look like it will be with this refresh.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
It's only two years old. You make it sound like it's an ancient piece of tech!

In the computer world, 2 years is a lot! And most people have the bad habit to buy the next thing released (I'm one of those people) but quad core performance/GPU performance wasn't ever boosted enough honestly since the first 2012 MBP15r came out.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I'll believe it when I see it and when I see it my wallet will chop onions to hide the tears.

Seth707

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
What are the odds they will do a graphics card update next year when they use broad well?

I have been wanting to get a new laptop and was waiting for a refresh. However this one doesn't look like a graphics card update will happen, so maybe i should wait for the next one.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
What are the odds they will do a graphics card update next year when they use broad well?

I have been wanting to get a new laptop and was waiting for a refresh. However this one doesn't look like a graphics card update will happen, so maybe i should wait for the next one.

Integrated.

10digits.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
These new MacBook Pros promise to be the fastest and most powerful ever. I think owners of even the current generation models will be considering an upgrade. I know I will be upgrading.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Go to Apple Store, and ask about MBP 15 inch what configurations they have in stock.

They will tell you exactly what i said. Base, mid-end, and top with every spec maxed out.

I bet they won't have it with the 2.6GHz and 1TB flash drive. :)

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Just *after* i bought my 13" Retina .....

They never bump these things up before i buy mine. :apple:

Don't worry. The 'new' 13" processor will only perform marginally better than the one in the machine you just bought. Just wait for the benchmarks.

If the RAM is going from 8GB to 16GB, that does mean something, though. But you'll probably survive - 8GB is still cool unless you're into some heavy photo/video/3D stuff.

Enjoy your Mac.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
....and yet iMac is stuck in the stone age with 5400/7200RPM hard drives in their base configurations.

It'll be nearly 3 yrs for a significant imac update if they wait until mid 2013. Yikes. Besides waiting for the broadwell chips, I guess they are waiting to unveil the retina iMacs.

I also hope they make the transition to flash based hard drives as standard soon. So hard to go back to spinning drives after experiencing solid state. The fusion drive is only a stop gap. If anything, the fusion drive should be standard.

Apoxie

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
No dGPU upgrade?

Im extremely dissapointed that they didnt upgrade the discrete graphics, since it would fit the Macbook Pro so well.

The 850M would have been a perfect choice then 750M, since its the new Maxwell part, where there is enhanced focus on battery life. Infact it would boost performance significantly (about 25-40%) and reduce battery comsumption since the 850M uses 45 watts while the 750M uses 50 watts!

I dont see myself buying a Macbook Pro for this reason. Maybe i'll look at the Lenovo with 4K display, if they fix the 48hz bug.

Lausebub

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
If the 15" info turns out to be true we probably won´t see a big change there either. I mean, what could they do? A slight price drop of $100 off of each model wouldn't surprise me, if all the components besides the processor stay the same. I highly doubt that they're gonna start selling a notebook with 512 gigs of flash for under fifteen hundred bucks.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
You're probably going to be waiting for a very, very long time then.

They are actually pretty close. If they replaced the top end processor (2.8gz Dual-core i7) they have now with a quad-core (which is actually priced about the same) and provide 16gb standard instead of the 8gb at the same price they would be at $1999. The problems are if the 13" rMBP can handle the higher MAX TPU and if people would be willing to give up some battery life in the quad core option. I would.

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
It's interesting times at the moment, as there are quite a few Apple products due for significant updates.

For me, I'm waiting to see what the iPhone 6 offers to decide whether to go for it, or an iPhone 5S. On the computer side, my choices are more tricky.

I've got a maxed out mid 2009 MBP15, which I bought as I needed good processing power for photos and videos but didn't have space in my then current apartment to locate an iMac. I now have a larger place with a home office, where I actually work most of the day.

With the MBP being 5 years old, it is beginning to lag with modern software (hmmm, when will software engineers realise that optimisation is still required, even though processor speeds increase and memory gets bigger!). So, I'm currently sitting between two options;
1. Replace the MBP with another one, along with Thunderbolt display. This option means that all of my documents / files can be on a single device, backed up to both Time Capsule and iCloud (with Yosemite).
2. Replace the MBP with a high end iMac (hopefully retina displayed / Flash based HD) and get either a MBA or MBP13 for mobile use, using iCloud to synchronise across the two devices. With Handoff I would be able to continue work between machines.
I probably won't decide until the middle of next year, unless Apple do launch the Retina iMac before year end.
My main issue with the current rMBP design is that the memory is not user upgradable (at least not on the 15 inch versions). I always prefer to buy the lowest memory configuration and then upgrade myself as this is generally cheaper. I did originally think I would miss the optical drive, but I vary rarely use it these days, and if I do, it is often a requirement for blu-ray output so I have an external drive anyway.
Finally, I have a feeling that we might actually see new iMac and Macbook Pro designs within the next 12 month. Given how small the electronics are getting, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple houses some of the components into the stand element of the iMac (although making a VESA mount version becomes more tricky).
Across both iMac and MBP, I suspect the top row of the keyboards will become touch based so that their assignment can be tailored to the software in use.
Lets see what wonderful products are in the pipeline!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
My mate bought a MBP a couple of weeks ago, even after I told him to wait, grr..

What are the chances Apple would straight swap him out for a new model if he took it instore, and would it be worth it?

Your friend will have used his MBP for two months or more by the time a new one is released. So what is the problem? Does your mate worry about it? Or is he happy with his MBP? Think about it: If you tell him, will you achieve anything other than annoying him?

In reality, any MacBook should last for at least three years, and after about three years is also the time where a new MacBook is so much better that I would want to upgrade. Once or twice a year you get some small improvement. It takes three years until these improvements add up to something significantly better where you sell the old computer to get a new one.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I bought the spec'd out 15" @ $3299 minus the education discount and got the $100 gift card on Wednesday of last week. Seeing as I paid $450 for the storage increase to 1TB over 512GB, I am seriously thinking of swapping if the 1TB becomes standard on the $2599 machine. If it is still an option only feature on both upper level machines, then I am only moderately considering swapping for the refresh.

Does this sound like the best course of action? My last October 2008 MBP is still going strong except for handling newer HiDef GoPro footage and I've learned not to be a refresh/upgrade whore or else you'll never be happy with any purchase.

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014
Don't worry. The 'new' 13" processor will only perform marginally better than the one in the machine you just bought. Just wait for the benchmarks.

If the RAM is going from 8GB to 16GB, that does mean something, though. But you'll probably survive - 8GB is still cool unless you're into some heavy photo/video/3D stuff.

Enjoy your Mac.

16GB would be overkill for my usage. I hope their entry model is 8GB with 256SSD, because 16GB with 128SSD isn't of great use to me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.