Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Google is pushing and supporting WebP.

Mozilla is pushing and supporting mozjpeg.

Microsoft is pushing and supporting JPEG XR.

Everyone trumpets their favorite format's superiority. The size of a compressed file can be measured, but the quality of lossy images is subject to human interpretation. How do we compare our choices?

Are these formats and their codecs going to live side-by-side and be supported by most major software, including Apple's, or is the battle going to be bloody, with only some format(s) emerging victorious?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think mozilla has the market presence like MS and google to hope for wide spread acceptance on a standard.

If I were a betting man, I'd say google has a better shot at having others embrace Webp vs. JPEG XR - but that's just my opinion.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
PNGs were invented to avoid the Unisys patent claim on the GIF compression format, but once the patents expired the GIF format became free for anyone to use. Even though it was designed for a world of dial-up modems, it's ability to do animation seems to have given it everlasting popularity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.