Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

believlle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
hi,

A new thread, anyone got a new 11ac TC and can report the file accessing R/W rate?

steps described by Raima:

1. Connect your mac to your TC via a cat 5/6 cable.
2. Install Black Magic Disk Test
3. Connect to your TC Drive on your Mac
4. open up Black Magic Disk Test on your mac, and select the target as the TC
5. Run the tests and report back with the results

or, can simply read or write a big file on TC and watch the cpying rate.

New TC and AE have good processor from broadcom they should have big performance improvement than older generations.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Since TC HD is there for backup and restore which is I/O speed important?

If you want fast disk I/O, go for RAID 0 array of SSDs via TB transport.

believlle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Since TC HD is there for backup and restore which is I/O speed important?

If you want fast disk I/O, go for RAID 0 array of SSDs via TB transport.

Hi, if you tried to backup and restore a mac via old time capsule you will know. it took half day as the poor disk access speed.

i don't need a TB SSD raid0 anyway, just wanna know how much better new TC would be.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Hi, if you tried to backup and restore a mac via old time capsule you will know. it took half day as the poor disk access speed.

I have a flat 3TB one right now. Had it in service for over a year. I don't care how long it tales to backup as that is a background process. I would care about how long it takes to do a full restore...especially with my TBs of photo libraries. But that is why those libraries are sitting on RAID 1 arrays..

I have a new TC arriving on Monday. The current flat one will have wifi turned off and be used a second small router, printer connection, and backup drive for the wife's Mac.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Already replied on your other thread.

My result from the new 2TB TC over gigabit ethernet to the internal drive using the Blackmagic Disk Test. Note this was while a Time Machine backup was going on to the TC.

Write: 38.6 MB/s
Read: 30.0 MB/s

believlle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Already replied on your other thread.

My result from the new 2TB TC over gigabit ethernet to the internal drive using the Blackmagic Disk Test. Note this was while a Time Machine backup was going on to the TC.

Write: 38.6 MB/s
Read: 30.0 MB/s

thank you mfram. and as you side it was during a backup so i think the result would be affected, have you finished the backup and had chance to test again?

Siriustoo

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Speed over wireless

I'm getting the following over wireless from a mac mini server to a 2TB Time Capsule
Write 27.1 MB/s
Read 22.8 MB/s

----------

Using the mac mini to 2TB time capsule through a Dell 1GB switch I am getting
~40 MB/s Write
~42 MB/s Read
Did not run all of the tests in Black Magic

Still have terrible lag over a wired connection, but none over wireless. Have not figured that out yet.

believlle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I'm getting the following over wireless from a mac mini server to a 2TB Time Capsule
Write 27.1 MB/s
Read 22.8 MB/s

----------

Using the mac mini to 2TB time capsule through a Dell 1GB switch I am getting
~40 MB/s Write
~42 MB/s Read
Did not run all of the tests in Black Magic

Still have terrible lag over a wired connection, but none over wireless. Have not figured that out yet.
thank you Siriustoo, i got another result write 42 while read is 53, directly connect TC to a MBP.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Wired:
Write 42.8
Read 52.1

However, the internet generally feels slower compared to my previous TC. Not really sure why.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I know you are asking about the new 2013 Time Capsule, but I was curious so I ran the BlackMagic Speed test on my 1st-gen 2008 TC (with a replacement WD 2.0 TB "green" drive in it). Gigabit ethernet connection:

Write: 27 MB/s
Read: 42 MB/s
(+- 2 or 3, I guess.)

Seems to indicate that my old unit's read speed is about as good as a brand new unit's?

blackandwhite76

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
I have a 2013 TC and think these speeds are bad over gigabit ethernet - am I the only one???

40MB/s (x8 for bits)= 320Mb out of 1000 (gigabit connection) is terrible.

The 802.11ac is only ~30MB/s which isn't too bad for wireless.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
40MB/s (x8 for bits)= 320Mb out of 1000 (gigabit connection) is terrible. The 802.11ac is only ~30MB/s which isn't too bad for wireless.

Here is what I get on gigabit ethernet

ethernet-blackmagic.png

And this is 802.11ac wifi on my 2013 MBA

wifi-TC_internal.png

I don't really agree that 30MB/s "isn't too bad" though. Here is what I get on the same network connecting to my Mini on 802.11ac wifi. It is twice as fast as the time capsule, and even faster than gigabit ethernet on the time capsule. Not really complaining, the Time Capsule does what it should. But it ain't no speed demon. ;)

wifi-mini.png

blackandwhite76

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
thats about what I get if I capture the screen at peak.
But still if you could maintain 49MB/s constantly thats only 400 Mbits/s through a gigabit port, can't be that much over heads.

Wow connected to the mini is fast. Im starting to think its just a dumb router and doesn't have the processing power or something to go faster.

My cheaoy eBay orico and another brand with 2TB seagate's plugged in connected via USB 3.0 to my iMac 2013 get over 100MB/s, one goes up to 160MB/s.

Might be worth selling Timecapsule (bugger as I put a 4TB Seagate HDD)

----------

Im still surprised your wireless is that fast. Whats your signal and noise ratio's?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The Mini is connected to the Time Capsule with gigabit ethernet, so there doesn't seem to be any speed problem with the router function, it's just a slow disk (or slow disk interface?) in the Time Capsule. Sorry, I don't know how to view S/N ratio. But these tests were done in the same room, about 3 meters from the Time Capsule, using the 5ghz band.

I have several Seagate Desktop Backup Plus USB3 3TB drives. They clock around 160-170MB/s on my MBA. I have a bus powered USB3 Passport Ultra drive that does a little better than 100MB/s. But my old USB2 Passport bus-powered drives only get around 35/MB/s.

If you think the Time Capsule internal drive is slow, try connecting an external disk to the USB port. Using that same 100MB/s disk, this is what I get over gigabit ethernet. :eek:

ethernet-TC_external.png

blackandwhite76

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
It's not the drive as I took it out and put it into a HDD dock connected to comp via USB 3.0 - it's definitely the time capsule and it's interface. Makes it sort of pointless to use as a back up if speed is important since a USB 3 connected directly sends/receives data much faster.

Time to sell.

In regards to your wireless transfer of 60MB/s that was done copying from time capsule connected to Mac mini and another comp 3m away?
I have mine next to each other and only get 40MB/s.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have a Mac Mini running file sharing. It is connected to the Time Capsule with hardwired gigabit ethernet. I used a wifi connection from my 2013 MBA to the Time Capsule which is in the same room. I mounted one of the Mini's disks on the MBA and ran the disk speed test. The Time Capsule was only being used as a router.

blackandwhite76

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
OK, I see. Sucks that the TC needs to be connected to get maximum wifi benefit.

Time to go TC. My $30 eBay 3.5" HDD dock is cheaper and faster for a 1/3 of the price (inc 2TB HDD)

----------

The slow ethernet speed is still not acceptable for a 1000Mb gigabit port.

Anyone else got better than ~40MB/s with their Time capsule connected via Ethernet?

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
OK, I see. Sucks that the TC needs to be connected to get maximum wifi benefit.

Time to go TC. My $30 eBay 3.5" HDD dock is cheaper and faster for a 1/3 of the price (inc 2TB HDD)

----------

The slow ethernet speed is still not acceptable for a 1000Mb gigabit port.

Anyone else got better than ~40MB/s with their Time capsule connected via Ethernet?

The 40MB/s limitation is not due to Ethernet but the cpu/chipset on the AE as with ANY router. Also AE is supposed to be used as a Time Machine backup not as a NAS device.

blackandwhite76

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
I realise now its the chipset/cpu but even as a Time machine backup the data transfers are slow. Good for sharing to ATV, or backup and let it take hours and walk away.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
The 40MB/s limitation is not due to Ethernet but the cpu/chipset on the AE as with ANY router. Also AE is supposed to be used as a Time Machine backup not as a NAS device.

USB 2

I see Time Machine Backup via Airport as a failure. Backing up is an intensive task and can be felt. To get it done as fast as possible use the fastest storage with the fastest port directly on the Mac.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
It is well known that time capsule is very slow compared to real NAS devices, which can easily get 100MB/s over gigE. The only benefit of time capsule is convenience. If you need performance, look elsewhere! There is no debating this.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
It is well known that time capsule is very slow compared to real NAS devices, which can easily get 100MB/s over gigE. The only benefit of time capsule is convenience. If you need performance, look elsewhere! There is no debating this.

NAS Storage was the PC's incredibly expensive answer to Firewire. I never understand why anyone is so proud of their NAS. Slow and expensive.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
NAS Storage was the PC's incredibly expensive answer to Firewire. I never understand why anyone is so proud of their NAS. Slow and expensive.

Proud? Who is proud?

It's an excellent backup and media solution for a network. I have 4 computers backing up to a single 1-terabyte RAID setup at 100mB/s. Slower than FireWire, yes. But also allows me to have a single RAID backup solution instead of 4 separate ones.

Not for everybody, but NAS are great for many applications.

Besides, this thread was about time capsule speeds. What was the purpose of your post, exactly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.