Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
I have a nMP connected to a four year-old 30" ACD. Obviously the old display doesn't have a webcam or mic built-in and Apple discontinued the iSight years ago. As far as a mic goes, I've been using my Blue Yeti and it's wonderful but I'd also like a webcam to mount on top of my display.

Will a GoPro work well as a webcam / mic solution? Is there a mount for the top of my ACD? Also, can I plug the GoPro directly into my nMP via USB? One last question...what model GoPro do you recommend...I know they make many?

Thanks.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
One other question...it appears that the GoPro Hero3+ has a decent built-in microphone but I'm sure it's no where near as good as my Blue Yeti. As the Yeti is a USB mic and the GoPro has a mini-USB port to attach an external mic, do you think I could get the best of both worlds - awesome webcam and superb audio using both in tandem?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I believe it has a built-in web server inside, which you could open with VLC or a browser or something (since it can use an app to do so). But it would still be an issue to get that into other applications, unless they can access a stream directly. And even then you'd have a delay that would make it unusable for anything but like a security camera. And I'm not sure about the quality or sound; if you used your mic you'd be faced with the no so trivial problem of syncing the sound with the video.

And I doubt that connecting it via USB would allow you to do anything but charge it or download video like any other camera.

Do yourself a favor and get something designed to be a webcam. This site has some listed: http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
no, won't work. the usb is for charging and for transferring pics/vids, not to use it as a web cam. get yourself a $50 one and problem solved. not sure why you would want to use a rugged camcorder as a web cam, not that it would work.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
no, won't work. the usb is for charging and for transferring pics/vids, not to use it as a web cam. get yourself a $50 one and problem solved. not sure why you would want to use a rugged camcorder as a web cam, not that it would work.

Need a webcam for video conferencing for work. Want a higher quality alternative to my iPhone for pics and video especially on vacations. Thought that a GoPro would kill two birds with one stone.

It's a shame that a GoPro won't serve both purposes :(

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Need a webcam for video conferencing for work. Want a higher quality alternative to my iPhone for pics and video especially on vacations. Thought that a GoPro would kill two birds with one stone.

It's a shame that a GoPro won't serve both purposes :(

Is that code for "my boss is buying the webcam; too bad it can't be a GoPro"? :D

Been there, couldn't do that. FWIW I tried other cameras and camcorders in an attempt to get something like going, and it's like using a hammer to do screws. Just the wrong tool. I did a bunch of work and still ended up with latency problems.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Is that code for "my boss is buying the webcam; too bad it can't be a GoPro"? :D

Been there, couldn't do that. FWIW I tried other cameras and camcorders in an attempt to get something like going, and it's like using a hammer to do screws. Just the wrong tool. I did a bunch of work and still ended up with latency problems.

I AM the boss :D

I've been on a couple of vacations where I really didn't want to have my iPhone near water or sand or other places like on camping trips and thought, "It would be nice to have something more rugged."

At the same time it's likely that I will pick up some more geographically diverse clients that will necessitate some video conferencing.

It was a tantalizing thought to be able to get a GoPro and as I said, "kill two birds with one stone." Bummer!

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I AM the boss :D

I've been on a couple of vacations where I really didn't want to have my iPhone near water or sand or other places like on camping trips and thought, "It would be nice to have something more rugged."

At the same time it's likely that I will pick up some more geographically diverse clients that will necessitate some video conferencing.

It was a tantalizing thought to be able to get a GoPro and as I said, "kill two birds with one stone." Bummer!

Most web cams today can more than handle what you're after. But even if you can somehow make it to work for argument's sake, your internet speed will severely degrade the video quality making the whole thing moot.

faxoli

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
I think you can get any camera as a Webcam using this Blackmagic recorder.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892453-REG

Just plug in hdmi

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
That might work BUT probably not easy; I assume the GoPro has an HDMI out, which would then feed this device. Which then feeds the Mac. Might do audio too, but I'd still wonder about latency. And it would be more expensive than a GoPro AND a decent webcam.

I used older low quality vid capture solutions with things like a Sony lipstick cam and it was pretty ugly. Better to just get the right tool.

BennyDigital

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
To save himself $50.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.