Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
OK, so I have been editing on FCP, and have only briefly glanced at FCPX and was immediately baffled - it seems like a completely different way of working with different concepts.

However, I can see that inevitably FCPX is the future and at some point, gotta get on with the times. So here I come.

I am quite willing to switch and have an open mind, I'm just looking for the best resources explaining how FCPX works. Tutorials, videos, books, what is the best out there?

I'm on 10.9.4 and an iMac that can handle FCPX according to Apple system requirements.

Hit me with some recommendations!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
My advice is to start with the good old user manual and pay EXTRA attention to these things before you even start to read or watch anything else:

* Storylines: The biggest new concept FCX added. Learn this up front or prepare to drown.

* The difference between the 'Select' tool (a) and the 'Position' tool (p) and when to use each.

Make sure you really understand those concepts or you'll waste a lot of time getting frustrated with tutorials.

After that, go nuts learning whatever you want. I would advise you to really dig deep into the organization stuff. The ability to control your media outside of the old "folder" or "bin" metaphor is truly one of Final Cut X's most masterful features. Don't ignore it.

And just keep an open mind. Yes, it's very different. Yes, I still need Adobe Premiere for some jobs. But for the jobs that FCX can do, it does them very well and I'm really learning to love the program for what it is.

Keep at it and you'll be impressed.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
Regardless if you agree or not, but If your coming from a FCP Studio 3 environment then I wouldn't use FCPX. Not being able to roundtrip from fcp to motion and back again, this and lots of other things. Not having soundtrack or color, endless crashes..

I still use FCP Studio 3 to this day and I also use Adobe CC. I love adobe CC and it was a flawless transition moving to it from being a Studio 3 user for 3 1/2 years.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Thank you folks, for all the fantastic advice - you guys are awesome! And pwhitehead - aww man, you're scaring me! I guess I'll go ahead and give FCPX an honest try with an open mind. If it is as bad for me as it is for pwhitehead, I can always go back... of course, I find working with sound very important, so if FCPX makes that a chore, I'll be seriously disappointed... Thanx again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.