Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:57 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Facebook to Cut Messaging From Main App in Effort to Focus on Facebook Messenger

Facebook is planning to motivate people to download and use its standalone Facebook Messenger app by removing messaging capabilities from the standard Facebook mobile app.

Currently, users can chat through the Messages tab located on the bottom toolbar in the main Facebook app, but that tab will soon redirect users to download the Messenger app instead. When installed, a message received in the Facebook app will switch the user over to Messenger to chat, as it does now when a user has both the Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps installed.

According to TechCrunch, Facebook is making the switch so that it does not have to support two versions of Messenger, thereby improving both apps. Facebook gave TechCrunch an official statement on the upcoming changes:
Quote:
In the next few days, we're continuing to notify more people that if they want to send and receive Facebook messages, they'll need to download the Messenger app. As we've said, our goal is to focus development efforts on making Messenger the best mobile messaging experience possible and avoid the confusion of having separate Facebook mobile messaging experiences. Messenger is used by more than 200 million people every month, and we'll keep working to make it an even more engaging way to connect with people.
Facebook has already forced users in Europe to switch over to Facebook Messenger to send and accept messages.

Facebook for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Facebook Messenger for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook to Cut Messaging From Main App in Effort to Focus on Facebook Messenger
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

... aaand I will stop FB messaging on my phone then.
Z400Racer37 is offline   38 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:59 PM   #3
needfx
macrumors 68020

they should remove the main app altogether and rewrite it
needfx is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:59 PM   #4
daverso
macrumors regular

Dumb. I don't want two apps.
daverso is offline   37 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:59 PM   #5
whsbuss
macrumors 68000

Its about time - hate when I open the app all my friends try to start a chat. Good Riddins
whsbuss is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:59 PM   #6
milo
macrumors 603

I guess I'll be sending people messages a different way then, and the fb app on my phone will get used less.

Good luck with that.
milo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
they should remove the main app altogether and rewrite it
They sort of did, it's called Paper. Speaking of which, I wonder if they will remove messaging from that app, too.
Cougarcat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Notafanboyyet
macrumors newbie

I'm fairly certain this is some of the oldest news I have ever read on this site, this was implemented a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, please do some research next time
Notafanboyyet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:00 PM   #9
penx
macrumors newbie

and strangely my iOS home screen bookmark started loading a white screen around the same time...
penx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:00 PM   #10
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Are they going to deliberately make me sad though?
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:00 PM   #11
jamescharley22
macrumors newbie

Looks like I won't be Facebook messaging anymore then. Oh well! Looks like it's just iMessaging and SMSing from then on.
jamescharley22 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:00 PM   #12
MacGeek1987
macrumors regular

Already use both apps. I would really like to see Paper on the iPad though.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:00 PM   #13
DavidBlack
macrumors 6502

Makes sense because IMO the Messenger app is way better than the in-app messenger.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:01 PM   #14
DJMeat
macrumors newbie

They pulled this crap in the UK last month, leading me to removing the app altogether. I don't see the benefit for a casual user such as myself to have to install two apps to achieve essentially the same thing, and the mobile site does exactly what I need it to do.

Of course, it doesn't help that I despise Facebook, but just. can't. delete. my profile...
DJMeat is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:01 PM   #15
efktd
macrumors regular

haven't they already done this? and works perfectly btw...
efktd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:01 PM   #16
512ke
macrumors 6502

I don't think this is a smart move at all. It makes the Facebook app less useful and relevant. Meanwhile Facebook messenger is not going to stand up against other instant messaging options. I don't get this personally.
512ke is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:01 PM   #17
jian
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to jian
I will simply not install message. once I get a message, I will either download the message for just 5minute to finish the conversation or go to the web version.

....simply because I hate the concept of having two apps that does the same thing.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:02 PM   #18
efktd
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGeek1987 View Post
Already use both apps. I would really like to see Paper on the iPad though.
paper on iPad would be really nice
efktd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:02 PM   #19
alexgowers
macrumors 6502a

already stopped using Facebook, only people who do are either robots or kids who don't know any better.

facebook is a pile of junk, designed to funnel you adverts and spam and allow stalkers to basically intrude on your life.

This is another attempt to try and get you to use an another app to DOUBLE THEIR AD revenue. Two apps, whole new set of ads and sales prices. This is not a legit reason to split them apart.

DO NOT TRUST facebook.
alexgowers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:03 PM   #20
TPALTony
macrumors regular

Since I didn't think FaceBook should be able to tell me how many of their apps I had installed on my phone so they can push more and more ads at me, I simply don't use it for messaging when on the go any more. It's worked rather well as I spend more time enjoying the world.

All the important people in my life have iMessage anyway.

Not sure it was their intended effect but it worked for me.
TPALTony is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:05 PM   #21
Locoboof
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Locoboof
Translation.... No one used our messaging app because they'd use it within the FB app. So know we'll force you to use it.

I never saw the need for two apps that do the same thing. This story is news to me and I think the move is pretty stupid. IMO

At this point,why not make another app to post pics to your wall? Lol
Locoboof is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:05 PM   #22
DJMeat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgowers View Post
already stopped using Facebook, only people who do are either robots or kids who don't know any better.

facebook is a pile of junk, designed to funnel you adverts and spam and allow stalkers to basically intrude on your life.

This is another attempt to try and get you to use an another app to DOUBLE THEIR AD revenue. Two apps, whole new set of ads and sales prices. This is not a legit reason to split them apart.

DO NOT TRUST facebook.
I only use FB to keep in touch with people I met when I was working on cruise ships. Most of them are scattered around the world and not on Twitter, so FB is the only useful option.
DJMeat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:07 PM   #23
nikicampos
macrumors 6502a

I'm telling you, MacRumors writers are so funny, using the word "motivate" when the correct one is "force"
nikicampos is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:08 PM   #24
seamer
macrumors 6502

I'm already forced to use FB and Messenger on my iphone. It's not intuitive, and I've noticed I am preferring to returning to texts or email since it kicks me out of the main app anyway.
seamer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:10 PM   #25
macduke
macrumors 68040

Less convenience? Nice.

I was a FaceBook user from 20052011. Have never regretted leaving. I'm certain that many of you would be surprised at how refreshing it is.
macduke is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion