Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Just read about it on line somewhere and school seems to be liking those for its cost, ease of use and secure?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Just read about it on line somewhere and school seems to be liking those for its cost, ease of use and secure?

If you just need the web, and web apps, then it'll be enough. If you need anything more, however, then it won't be.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This. Extra emphasis on "anything".
Google is slowly expanding the capabilities of ChromeOS to allow more offline functionality. (not a reason to consider buying a Chromebook now though)

Having said that, I'm still puzzled by the apparent popularity of Chromebooks. To me, they're nothing more than a tech-refresh/remix of the old 3277 terminals of the 1970's.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Google is slowly expanding the capabilities of ChromeOS to allow more offline functionality. (not a reason to consider buying a Chromebook now though)

Having said that, I'm still puzzled by the apparent popularity of Chromebooks. To me, they're nothing more than a tech-refresh/remix of the old 3277 terminals of the 1970's.

Agreed. They feel like a step backwards. A big step backwards.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I personally couldn't function only using a Chromebook but I picked up a refurb Samsung Chromebook last year for $160 to check it out. Definitely doesn't meet my needs but it's perfect for my younger kids. My kids (4th and 5th grade) are set up with Google accounts by their school and use Google's suite of apps for nearly all of their schoolwork--can store and submit/share all work via Drive. Most of their other computer work is via web based applications so the Chromebook is a very inexpensive way to meet all of their needs.

They'll most certainly need a more robust computer when they're a bit older but for now, a Chromebook is a great option--can see why it would be attractive to schools, especially elementary education.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Got one for my dad (acer with a touch screen). He loves it. Has everything he wants - browser, email, contacts, you tube and is light. For these types of uses it's a great solution. For power users (probably only about 5% of us) maybe not so good.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

They are popular, because they are cheap, don't need constant security updates like Windows, can do everything Microsoft Office can and allows for normal stuff like email and websurfing. A lot of people don't need a full computer to do these minor tasks. For these people the Chromebook is an awesome product.

bmxracer

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014
The school systems are switching to more technology based learnng. Teacher have their students type up their work on google docs now instead of microsoft word, due to many students not having the program at home. Most of the english teachers at the local schools have an entire class set of chromebooks for the class. The other classes share class sets of original ipads and old windows xp dell laptops. The schools also have many computer labs. Every class room also has smartboards. All students have a school google account for their work which works great with the chromebooks. The teachers love the chromebooks because they boot up faster than all the other computers and all the students have to do is share their assignments with them like that. I however could not replace a regular laptop with a chromebook but for their price they are decent. I also saw they had released a 4g t-mobile version with 500mb of free 4g a month for free. Which make chromebooks a little more apealing.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I believe they can run android apps now, which makes them a better buy than a tablet for me personally. When I use laptop/tablet outside of work it is mainly to surf the web, which is a much better experience with a physical keyboard.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
OP, you may find this article useful: http://www.androidcentral.com/chromebooks-101

One thing they don't mention in that article, and has not been mentioned in this thread, is printing. I haven't used a Chromebook but my understanding is that a Chromebook cannot print to a conventional standalone printer. You either need a Cloud Print enabled printer or a conventional printer connected to the web via a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I believe they can run android apps now, which makes them a better buy than a tablet for me personally. When I use laptop/tablet outside of work it is mainly to surf the web, which is a much better experience with a physical keyboard.

Not yet they can't but it is in the works.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I'm concerned about how the experience will be on a non-touchscreen device in regards to applications that are made for mobile.

----------

They are popular, because they are cheap, don't need constant security updates like Windows, can do everything Microsoft Office can and allows for normal stuff like email and websurfing. A lot of people don't need a full computer to do these minor tasks. For these people the Chromebook is an awesome product.

No, no, they do get constant security updates. You get a completely "new version" every 6 weeks or so. The difference is that it's more of a quiet update than Windows is. Also, I take it you really like it. I had one, it was pretty neat. Screen ended up crapping out shortly after I gave it over to my big sister.

Still can't find an offline image editor for it that's anywhere close to GIMP.

sdimas

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2014
USA
Most of the english teachers at the local schools have an entire class set of chromebooks for the class. The other classes share class sets of original ipads and old windows xp dell laptops. The schools also have many computer labs.

I hoped I would never have to remember my high-school classes (I just graduated). We had hp thin clients, which were slow even for Google docs :eek: they started a laptop program when I was a sophomore so I didn't get one. The laptops are a different model every year but a lot better that our computer labs and thin clients.

I also dislike this move to technologically impaired learning.

(used pencil and notebook most of the time, with the best notes you could ever copy :p)

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
My dad has the 2012 Samsung Chromebook. I'm not a fan of it myself because the screen is so awful and the plastic build of the computer feels so cheap. They also gimp the machine by only giving it 2 GB RAM. The new Sammy Chromebook 2 has 4 now but apparently the processor is still so underpowered that it feels slow no matter the RAM upgrade. Someone should but a mid-level Chromebook with a halfway decent display, processor, and RAM. As of now, you can either the low-end or the overpriced high-end Pixel. There should be a middle ground offering.

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
The whole lack of viruses thing is probably appreciated a lot by most people.

I don't quite understand why someone would go out to buy a Chromebook Pixel but the ones in the ~$200-ish price range is perfect. Especially if you really only need web browsing, which is becoming much more capable with offline features.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I am afraid Google Chrome OS will put Microsoft out of business in about 5 years. Google is working on Top secret at the Google Barge in Stockton Bay. :apple:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
SOME Android apps will come in the future. I only hope they do it properly. The new journal app by those Jotterpad guys looks great, a bit of tweaks, and that would be perfect for a Chromebook.

I agree with sdimas, I don't like this move either. I've used computers all my school life, but it was never an everyday thing. Looking at the work my 12 year-old brother came home with to finish on Google Drive this last year, I don't think the school district understands how to use it to their advantage either.

I tried using a Sony Vaio in 7th grade for note taking. It didn't work well so I've never done it again. I'm pretty sure something like the Surface would be better, but I take like three lines of notes in class these days. I take in information better if I just sit there and listen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.