Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
i opened the text editor and i want to make a .txt file. How would I do this? it doesn't give me that extension in the option

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
scan said:
i opened the text editor and i want to make a .txt file. How would I do this? it doesn't give me that extension in the option

If you create a file and 'Save As' the only two formats you can get are RTF and Word. It will read .txt files, but you'll need another app to create a .txt file. Word will, just select that option.

D

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Mr. Anderson said:
If you create a file and 'Save As' the only two formats you can get are RTF and Word. It will read .txt files, but you'll need another app to create a .txt file. Word will, just select that option.

D

thx.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
When you initially open TextEdit your text file will be saved as .rtf (Rich Text Format, which allows colors styling and all that jazz ;))

If you want just a regular .txt file, Click 'Format' from the menubar, and choose 'Make Plain Text'. Now when you save your text file it will be in plain text .txt format in whatever encoding you choose at the save menu (ie, western, UTF-8 ...etc..)

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Will Cheyney said:
How is TextEdit a bad text editor? It works faultlessly...

Yeah it seems alot think textedit is like document creating scum or something. ;) (kidding) I mean while its not nearly as feature rich with options and stuff like SubEthaEdit or vim (or I guess even TextWrangler though I have never used that one personally, downloading it now though :D ), TextEdit I think is great for just quick notes or larger file touchups or a quick copy and paste to save. If you are writing code or anything though then yeah you'll probably want something more feature rich like the aforementioned apps. Though I have to say, dispite having a bunch of different editors, its nice to just use something simple and easy like TextEdit. Thats my opinion anyways.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
TextEdit is great for making/reading rtf files and even simple doc files. Nice support for the most important formatting, and could be the only word processor you really need.

It's just that as a text editor, for text files (txt, html, php, etc.) it's just not nearly as good as the above mentioned editors. It also has a tendency to revert back to rich text format when you edit e.g. html files and it has, on more than one occasion, messed up files I've worked on to do small changes (this was after BBEdit Lite just didn't cut it any more, and before TextWrangler became freeware and I discovered SubEthaEdit, when I actually tried using TextEdit as my main text editor... ;)).

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Thanks for all suggestions for a Text Editor but it looks like I wouldn't even need the text editor. I'll just use Xcode because I wanted to use it for coding C programs I find Xcode really neat. It is easy to use and has a few simple features that I like.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Odd. I've never run into any problems when editing HTML/PHP/CSS in TextEdit - and I use it al the time!
The only thing I do wish it had for code editing was colours!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Every time you touch yourself, God makes a .txt file. :D

kitten.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.