Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I have tests that are failing in Xcode sometimes with this error message:

Code:
TASK-ASSERT: cfurlcache - ProcessCacheTask - FAILED to get task-assertion, going commando with 1 items to process.

It seems this is specific to some versions of iOS 7, according to this thread:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...sh-encountered-an-xpc-error-while-communicati

I checked and saw that my iOS Simulator was only running iOS 7.1 and that the currently released version of iOS is 7.1.2, so I figured I'd update the simulator to that.

I checked the Mac App Store to see if there were updates available for Xcode there. Nope.

I checked the iOS Dev Center to see if a new iOS SDK was available there. They list Xcode 5.1.1, which comes with iOS SDK 7.1. They also have the files so that you can update your physical iOS device to iOS 7.1.2, but I don't think those work for updating the iOS Simulator (especially since they're made specifically for each hardware model.)

I checked Xcode > Preferences > Downloads, and clicked on "Check and Install Now" and it gives me the error message:
Failed to init DVTDownloadable from plist

I tried searching online for this error and found nothing with DuckDuckGo or Google.

So... am I missing something? How do I update the iOS Simulator from iOS 7.1 to a newer version?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Apple usually does not update the Simulator for any 0.0.x iOS updates. You have to test on actual iOS devices to determine any differences.

If your Xcode installation is acting flaky, you can always delete and completely re-install it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Apple usually does not update the Simulator for any 0.0.x iOS updates. You have to test on actual iOS devices to determine any differences.

If your Xcode installation is acting flaky, you can always delete and completely re-install it.

The problem is that the bug only appears in Unit Tests and that Xcode refuses to run Unit Tests on iOS devices (it'll tell you they can only be run on the iOS simulator.)

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
I would file a bug with Apple. They sometimes respond with relevant info.

If it's important I'd use one of my code level incidents to get help from Apple.

To me this sounds like an Apple bug that only affects the sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.