Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matarielz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
I need to run an MPI process that will demand 100% of all 4 cores of my mini 2012. Would it be safe to run it for about 60-80 hours??? I've tried it for about 10 min. and temps go up to between 95-100 degrees celsius. If it is not safe safe is there a way it can be done without damaging the mini? Fan runs at about 4500rpm @95 degrees

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
I have run handbrake for 48 hours straight with the fans kicked in going full speed and holding the temps around 95 celsius. No problems.

If the temps get too hot the mini has temp sensors to shut down to prevent any damage.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As stated above, it is fine for a Mac Mini to be running that hot for a long period of time. They were designed with it in mind.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
As said, if the temperature were too much for the Mac Mini it would switch itself off.

More importantly, modern processors are aware of their own temperature, and will throttle their performance in order to remain within a target temperature. If you've seen a processor mention TDP then this is partly what this refers to, along with the maximum power that the part should draw.

While this means it's safe to run the processor for long periods, it also means that your Mac Mini may only run at the true maximum speed of its processor in short bursts; during prolonged use it will settle at a level that keeps it within its target temperature. This is one of the things that distinguishes a quad-core Mac Mini from a quad-core Mac Pro (once you've adjusted for other differences) as the Mac Pro is designed to run with the processor at full speed for prolonged periods (though it presumably still throttles a bit if you also push both GPUs as well).

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
I have the same concern as I'm thinking of using my new 2012 i7 mac mini for 720p livestreaming. On my 2012 i7 macbook pro, it draws 90% cpu, 5000rpm, and 180-195 degrees fahrenheit. I use laptop fan cooler, and it helps bring it down 10 degrees. I haven't dared 1080p for more than 1 hour stretch in fear of thermal shutdown.

Are there any external cooling either passive heatsinks or fans that are effective for the mac mini?

eezacque

Feb 17, 2013
The processor may be able to take the heat in the short run, but heat does shorten the life of components in the long run. With an architecture where everything is soldered onto the logic board, repairs are no longer feasible. So, while your machine running hot does not kill it now, it will shorten its life (it is a bit like smoking for humanoids)

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I have the same concern as I'm thinking of using my new 2012 i7 mac mini for 720p livestreaming. On my 2012 i7 macbook pro, it draws 90% cpu, 5000rpm, and 180-195 degrees fahrenheit.
Your MBP supports hardware accelerated H.264 encoding via Quick Sync (for example for Air Play). This reduces the CPU temperature and allows 1080p H.264 encoding in realtime.

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
How do I confirm that this is enabled? I'm using Wirecast for streaming.

Your MBP supports hardware accelerated H.264 encoding via Quick Sync (for example for Air Play). This reduces the CPU temperature and allows 1080p H.264 encoding in realtime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.