Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khabboub

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Tampa
hey guys, i bought a 2009 mac pro off eBay recently, and as i was playing with it, the plastic bar that is attached to the unlock hinge cracked a little right at part where it make a 90 degree turn. so now when i pull on the unlock hinge, it no longer unlocks the door.

does anyone know where i can find a replacement? i tried to google one but i am not sure what to call this thing

i will attach a picture because i know this isn't very clear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 113

khabboub

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Tampa
so i did a lot of fancy googling, and i couldnt fond anything that was similar to my problem.

i guess a lot of the latches get disconnected from that strip that locks the hard drives in, but my latch is fine. its the strip itself that is broken. any one have any ideas?

does anyone know what it is called?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The latch, and the rest of the mechanism that moves with the latch lever, are part of the Mac Pro case. Apple does not show any of those parts individually. At an Apple repair shop, you would need to replace the entire enclosure (the case) just to get a working latch.
Maybe you can discover how to get the various latch parts out, and repair with some epoxy, etc. That take-apart is NOT in Apple's service manual.
The screws that you see as part of the moveable pieces, may be staked in place and not something that you can unscrew easily (although I don't know for sure, never tried to loosen one of those "screws")

khabboub

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
Tampa
The latch, and the rest of the mechanism that moves with the latch lever, are part of the Mac Pro case. Apple does not show any of those parts individually. At an Apple repair shop, you would need to replace the entire enclosure (the case) just to get a working latch.
Maybe you can discover how to get the various latch parts out, and repair with some epoxy, etc. That take-apart is NOT in Apple's service manual.
The screws that you see as part of the moveable pieces, may be staked in place and not something that you can unscrew easily (although I don't know for sure, never tried to loosen one of those "screws")

no i took those screws out, they basically came right out. there is no way to get that little strip out. and they dont move. they are just there to sort of hold that strip on its track.

i just put a little super glue on there to see if that will work. maybe, maybe not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.