Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themanfromvlad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
Montreal
I was a huge Swell fan, and was crushed when I just opened the app and found it's been completely shut down after apple's purchase. Couldn't they just keep it running in the meanwhile?

In any event, I need a replacement app. Any suggestions? Preferably from people who used Swell and know why it was so awesome.

AdamTheMechE

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
I'm with you, man. I miss Swell so much!

"NPR One" helps a bit, but there are several downsides, which I've mentioned in an Apple Store review of them. Hopefully they add these functions!

1. No ability to speed or slow playback speed.
2. Only caches 30 minutes or so of audio, compared to Swell's 2+ hours. As someone with a cheap data plan, I love caching hours while on wifi and caching enough for my daily commutes.

Of course, it's only NPR programming, so there isn't nearly the variety as Swell had, but it's a decent "set it and forget it" when you run out of normal podcasts.

An unrelated comment -- I'm so pissed they cut it off so soon! I would love to go back through my bookmarked tracks and play history so I could see what I mainly listened to! That way, I could find their own podcasts at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.