Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perlsyntax

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
If i don't have a iPhone can i still test it out on the iPhone simulator before i have apple test out my app and has anyone use TestFlight for beta testing?

Last edited:

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
The simulator is very good for general testing. But if you actually intend to release an app on the App Store, you *DEFINITELY* need to test the app on an actual iPhone. In fact I currently would recommend testing on an iPhone 5S, an iPhone 5, and an iPhone 4S.

Sometimes, bugs and glitches will not show up in the simulator. The more real-world devices and versions of iOS you test it out on, the better.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
In fact I currently would recommend testing on an iPhone 5S, an iPhone 5, and an iPhone 4S.

I can't imagine many bugs you would uncover by running on an iPhone 5 that you wouldn't find by running on an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5S.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The iPhone 5S is 64bit, while the 5 and 4S are 32bit. Additionally, the 4S has a smaller screen size.

Right... You seem to be backing up my statement that it's pointless to test on the iPhone 5 after you've already tested on an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5S.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your question is not clear, but if you are asking
"Can I build a project and hope that it works without testing it on an actual device?"

Well, yes, but why would you?

As has already been posted - the simulator allows you to test your app in a general way, but the actual hardware is going to be your best test.
I suppose if you have already developed some apps, and you have done the same kind of coding for another app, you might skip the testing phase, because you are confident in your ability.
(and that makes even less sense as I write it)

But, you are asking the question, so I am assuming that you have little experience (and less money). That makes it even more imperative that you come up with some way to test on actual hardware. Maybe you know someone who has an iOS device that you can use for testing.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I don't see why so hard to understand what i talking about.

It's because, to me at least, the terms / phrasings you're using are too ambiguous for me to know what it is that you're referring to. That's why I asked for clarification. If you're not willing to provide that, I'm not sure I can be of any further help. Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.