Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
I can get the retina (not the new one from today) for $1299 - $100, then another $100 off for .edu, plus the $100 gift card. So $1,099 plus $100 gift card.

Good deal?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
how does it compare to the price list? http://prices.appleinsider.com

If you are in the States, try to purchase it on your state's tax free weekend for an extra savings. For us tax free weekend is this coming Friday and Saturday. Of course another choice is to purchase from an online retailer like B&H or Adorama. At least for my state, Amazon is collecting sales tax. :eek:

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
how does it compare to the price list? http://prices.appleinsider.com

If you are in the States, try to purchase it on your state's tax free weekend for an extra savings. For us tax free weekend is this coming Friday and Saturday. Of course another choice is to purchase from an online retailer like B&H or Adorama. At least for my state, Amazon is collecting sales tax. :eek:

And on that note, make sure computers aren't on your state's exclusion list either, if it is participating.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
So it came out to $1,162.44 plus $100 Apple Gift Card.

MBP￿13.3/2.4GHZ/4GB/128GB￿FLASH
Part￿Number:￿ME864LL/A

Or should I get the new one that came out today?

antoniogra7

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
4GB is quite little this days, I can't recommend you to get it. My 2010 13" MBP have that amount of ram and I find myself using it all quite often and getting unresponsiveness. I know my computer lack performance in other places too and that with an SSD you would do much better, but still, I think ram is very important and I think you should keep that in mind. If you can find someone who has that model or a similar one (with 4GB) ask him how's going for him, maybe I'm wrong and my problems aren't due to the ram amount.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
4GB is quite little this days, I can't recommend you to get it. My 2010 13" MBP have that amount of ram and I find myself using it all quite often and getting unresponsiveness. I know my computer lack performance in other places too and that with an SSD you would do much better, but still, I think ram is very important and I think you should keep that in mind. If you can find someone who has that model or a similar one (with 4GB) ask him how's going for him, maybe I'm wrong and my problems aren't due to the ram amount.

I was actually just thinking about that...
I can get the new one that came out today with 8GB for $100 more (plus more speed).

antoniogra7

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I was actually just thinking about that...
I can get the new one that came out today with 8GB for $100 more (plus more speed).
Do it if you can afford it, 100$ isn't that much and 4GB if seems very little now, imagine in a couple of years. Also, you can't upgrade it, so better get it now.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas

Your problems aren't due to ram unless you are doing heavy work.

OP, look here and this will tell you how much ram you need.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1756865/

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
the unresponsiveness is due to other things.
The only reason :apple: upgraded the ram in the base 13" is because people are superstitious about the issue.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
I think I've decided on the older retina 13", 8GB, 256GB for $1299 from best buy, with $100 edu discount and 10% off coupon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.