Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I have a HP Z820 workstation (Xeon E5-2687W 3.1 GHz, 3.8GHz Max Turbo Frequency, 20MB Cache, 1600 8 cores, 16 threads per CPU, 2CPUs in my machine, 64GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Nvidia Quadro K5000 4GB 1st GFX). How is it compared with the latest Mac PRO?

I mainly use it for computer simulations, SolidWorks, 3ds Max, etc.

Thanks.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Hello, I have a HP Z820 workstation (Xeon E5-2687W 3.1 GHz, 3.8GHz Max Turbo Frequency, 20MB Cache, 1600 8 cores, 16 threads per CPU, 2CPUs in my machine, 64GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Nvidia Quadro K5000 4GB 1st GFX). How is it compared with the latest Mac PRO?

I mainly use it for computer simulations, SolidWorks, 3ds Max, etc.

Thanks.

I believe, for CPU- and memory-intensive tasks that scale easily to multiple cores and CPUs, a "generic" workstation like the one from HP is still best. Most notably, it allows double the number of cores and four times the amount of memory in the same "box".

No OSX, though.
;-)
But at least, you can install Linux.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I believe, for CPU- and memory-intensive tasks that scale easily to multiple cores and CPUs, a "generic" workstation like the one from HP is still best. Most notably, it allows double the number of cores and four times the amount of memory in the same "box".

I'm happy that you put quotes around "generic" - since the Z820 is HP's flagship workstation and is world's apart from "generic".

Or, do you define "generic" as "doesn't have the logo of a half eaten fruit on it"? ;)

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
You can run OS X on a Z820. Not sure Firewire or the embedded LSI 2308 RAID controller work, but the OS can be setup and function with both CPUs and 128GB RAM and graphics cards of your choice.

Although I use Windows applications on the Z820, I am interested in knowing how the Z820 compared with the Mac Pro when both are running OS X?

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I'm happy that you put quotes around "generic" - since the Z820 is HP's flagship workstation and is world's apart from "generic".

Or, do you define "generic" as "doesn't have the logo of a half eaten fruit on it"? ;)

I say "generic", because comparing the nMP to any of these workstations (Dell Precision, Lenovo Thinkstation) is a bit like an apples to oranges comparison.
And yes, the lack of the Apple-logo on the chassis adds to that.
;-)

The z820 is certainly not a "generic" PC - even though, most people probably use it as one, running Windows 8.1 on it... ;-)
To me, it looks more like a server - and probably shares a lot of components from HP's DL-series.
Apple's nMP was probably never designed to compete with these workstations. At least not in the high-end.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
To me, it looks more like a server - and probably shares a lot of components from HP's DL-series.

Outside of individual components like the CPUs, memory DIMMs, PCH and low-end DL disks there's very little in common between a ProLiant DL 3-series and the Z820. The CPUs, memory DIMMs and PCH are also shared with the MP6,1.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
So, is the HPZ820 I have faster or much faster than the current generation of Mac Pro?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
So, is the HPZ820 I have faster or much faster than the current generation of Mac Pro?

It's faster in multi-core CPU performance. Using a previous architecture and slightly slower memory, but more cores and faster clockspeed give your system the edge. In single threaded processing tasks the newer Mac pros will be generally a little bit faster as they have a 3.9GHz turbo boost and the newer Ivy bridge architecture.

Your graphics card out paces them for what it was designed for and in 3DS Max it is vastly superior and Solidworks it has quite superior view port performance, but for GPU computing the D700s are better.

They also have PCI-E SSD I/O speeds, dunno what you have, but you can get that so that isn't a huge deal.

You certainly wouldn't want a Mac Pro instead of what you have for what you say you do.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
It's faster in multi-core CPU performance. Using a previous architecture and slightly slower memory, but more cores and faster clockspeed give your system the edge. In single threaded processing tasks the newer Mac pros will be generally a little bit faster as they have a 3.9GHz turbo boost and the newer Ivy bridge architecture.

Your graphics card out paces them for what it was designed for and in 3DS Max it is vastly superior and Solidworks it has quite superior view port performance, but for GPU computing the D700s are better.

They also have PCI-E SSD I/O speeds, dunno what you have, but you can get that so that isn't a huge deal.

You certainly wouldn't want a Mac Pro instead of what you have for what you say you do.

Thanks. As you know, most applications still do not benefit from lots of cores. For those that can take advantages of less than 4 cores, is the HP one still better?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
"Better" is relative

Thanks. As you know, most applications still do not benefit from lots of cores. For those that can take advantages of less than 4 cores, is the HP one still better?

The HP has massive internal expansion (memory, disks, PCIe cards) - if these are important to you, then it's "better".

The Z820 is a large chassis. HP also has the Z620, which is a smaller dual-socket machine with a bit less expansion. You could also drop to the Z420 - a single-socket machine like the MP6,1, but one with still much more internal expansion than the MP6,1.

MacProCard

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
I looked at the HPZ820 before going with the nMP. One of the deciding factors for me was my previous experience with HPs. They sell a lot of junk.

I've had high-end laptops with overheat, battery and screen issues. The desktops themselves have proven to be more reliable but always had the most unfriendly upgrade potential(cheap power supply and poor space management). The only 2 desktops to die on me have both been HP.

So when it came to spending big money again with HP, I just couldn't do it. Besides, I wouldn't spend any significant money on a machine w/o thunderbolt technology.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I looked at the HPZ820 before going with the nMP. One of the deciding factors for me was my previous experience with HPs. They sell a lot of junk.

I've had high-end laptops with overheat, battery and screen issues. The desktops themselves have proven to be more reliable but always had the most unfriendly upgrade potential(cheap power supply and poor space management). The only 2 desktops to die on me have both been HP.

So when it came to spending big money again with HP, I just couldn't do it. Besides, I wouldn't spend any significant money on a machine w/o thunderbolt technology.

I can confirm similar issues with HP, especially a few years ago. In my experience, they've improved quite a bit as far as quality control goes, but many of their older machines (circa 2007-2011) tend to be less reliable than one would like, in my experience. I've had terrible experiences with their customer service trying to order parts (typically cheap plastic casings breaking, or screen plastics getting too hot and becoming brittle.) However, I'm impressed with their newer machines. A few friends of mine have picked up their ENVY series laptop, which feels like it's a great quality product, and they have not yet had any issues. Whether the quality control has made its way into their workstations is something I haven't had a chance to test firsthand, but HP as a brand seems to be stepping it up.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
The Z820 and Z620 support Thunderbolt.

Besides, What does Thunderbolt really offer him aside from faster external disk access (which wouldn't really be the bottleneck anyway when 3d rendering is concerned)? There are open pcie slots for anything else.

----------

My HPZ820 is very very quiet. How about the Mac Pro?

The Mac Pro likely wins there. I have an older z820 and it's not all that quiet to me (comparatively at least).

HumpYourWayUp

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Europe
A comparison photo says more than a thousand words :cool:;)

cdn20120805hp_z820-501e8d5-intro1.png

Ewwww :p

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
A comparison photo says more than a thousand words :cool:;)

Ewwww :p

I have the liquid cooling system installed. When I turned on the machine, it was a bit noisy. Then, it became very very quiet. It is quite heavy compared with the latest Mac Pro.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
The most interesting thing for me was pulling apart the workstation. It's compartmentalized like a G5, so you've got to pull apart plastic sheath after plastic sheath to get to stuff.

The current station we've got hasn't done so well--it would randomly shut down during renders, which I think was a PSU issue, but after that either the graphics card fried by itself or the power issues caused it to die.

Ordering another one so hopefully it's more solid, especially since it's going to have a Titan Z in it.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I find it interesting that so many have had issues with HP machines. I have had several and have been pleased with them. The only problems I've encountered involved cooling issues, which I haven't seen in a few years. (Although I have one laptop that would get so hot the case warped, although the mahine itself still runs just fine.)

Their professional level laptops have been favorites of mine. Their products aren't Apple level quality, but they've been fine for me. But, I am a small sample size, while some folks here have had to deal with many, many- hundreds or even thousands.

Still, I'll stick to my MBPs these days. :)

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I find it interesting that so many have had issues with HP machines. I have had several and have been pleased with them. The only problems I've encountered involved cooling issues, which I haven't seen in a few years. (Although I have one laptop that would get so hot the case warped, although the mahine itself still runs just fine.)

Their professional level laptops have been favorites of mine. Their products aren't Apple level quality, but they've been fine for me. But, I am a small sample size, while some folks here have had to deal with many, many- hundreds or even thousands.

They ship so many units most people in tech are likely to have come in contact with a dodgy consumer machine.

They've sold well over 500 million x86 based systems since 2000, close to 600 million by the end of this year. That means tens of millions of units were bound to fail based on the average failure rates. People's experience with the consumer side is very different to how it is with the enterprise level support and build quality of machines. Usually they have to go back to a store and responsibility can be pushed around and around.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I've got a hex nMP d700 to setup with 8.1 for 3dsmax in a few weeks. They have been a very popular choice for very quiet workstations in windows, think that will be the 8th for bootcamp so far. They are quieter running full blast than a hp elite 8300 sff never mind a z series. I like the z's but quiet they most certainly are not, noisier than my 3,1!

This one is going to be simulating demolitions apparently...

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you already have that desktop, why even compare it to a Mac Pro? You obviously have the space and it's quite powerful. It's not like if the Mac Pro was any little bit better you'd switch?

The Z820 has more expansion and everything is upgradable. It's not really a comparison.

That said my work space does not have space for a computer that enormous, so I enjoy using my small Mac Pro.

Plus it's very quiet when I'm running a full workload.

MacProCard

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014

My sample size is small in the grand scheme of things. But Toshiba all the way for PC laptops. I love my late 2013 rMBP fo rwhat it's worth. Got burned bad on 2 recent Samsung ATIV 8 laptop PCs. -complete junk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.