Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Because the most difficult car on the grid for Rosberg to pass is Hamilton's and the same for Lewis on Nico. Either of them can easily pass any car on the grid this year with fresh tyres - but not on worn ones.

Nico was in position to throw together a few flying laps before his stop - Hamilton while still having good pace, wasn't in that position.

----------

While that would be nice and everything, that sounds more like racing, not 2014 F1. It's not worth the risk to wear out your tyres in a battle on lap 50 when there's still 25 to go and your best chance is at the end, not now. Rosberg probably did want to win the race, but his camp probably opted to go into the summer break on top of the standings.

when hamilton was told to let rosberg pass, rosberg was not in a position to pass him. he didn't get in that position in any of the following laps until the pit stop.
so it is irrelevant that he could have passed alonso "easily", since it wasn't going to be anywhere near that position on fresh tires.

if he really wanted to win the race, he should have pushed on the second last set of tires, gotten close to lewis to put him in a realistic postulation of letting him go by (which he would have), and at the same time make up more room on alonso and ricciardo up front.
but he didn't and that was his decision (and that of his engineers).

even if at that time hamilton would have parked the car to let him go which it seems to be what he expected, he still would have had to make up the same amount of time on the duo in front.
he reached hamilton at the very end, so he would have reached alonso slightly after that (consider that alonso would also have driven faster without having to defend himself from hamilton), and it is entirely questionable whether he could have passed him.
and that he could have reached and passed ricciardo is an even longer stretch, if not completely impossible, since he was way ahead.
add to that that if hamilton had slowed down significantly to let rosberg go, it would have reached even later, and would have not passed him (much less ricciardo).

in conclusion, the idea that mercedes "gave up a 1-2 finish" to 'let them race' is ludicrous,
even a victory by rosberg was not going to happen at that point.

by slowing down to help rosberg, hamilton would have helped rosberg, but not the team.

if indeed Nico was "in position to throw together a few flying laps before his stop" and he didn't, than he only has himself to blame.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
And with Mercedes all but won the team championship, did it really matter if they got the one, two or not.
Instead they got the lion share of TV coverage which should keep the sponsors happy.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
in conclusion, the idea that mercedes "gave up a 1-2 finish" to 'let them race' is ludicrous,
even a victory by rosberg was not going to happen at that point.

by slowing down to help rosberg, hamilton would have helped rosberg, but not the team.

if indeed Nico was "in position to throw together a few flying laps before his stop" and he didn't, than he only has himself to blame.

Maybe you're right - I don't know? I don't have the mounds of data to dig through to see what would have happened if someone let someone through. All I know is that if the Mercedes boss looks at the data and concludes Nico would have won the race if Lewis let him through then that's probably more sensible then any speculation we spectators can conjure.

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/3213/9399105/Rosberg-Wants-Internal-Talks

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Again IMO, I believe the reason the team wanted Lewis to just slow down and let Nico by was that it would have protected Nico's tires for the charge on Ricciardo and Alonso before his final stop.

And considering how fast Nico closed on the front three when he had "clear air" in front of him after his final pit stop, if Lewis had just let him by, I do believe he would have been able to close the gap to Alonso and then once he dived in for fresh rubber, should have put him in position to at least score second and quite possibly win the race.

On the flip side, I expect Lewis knew that strategy would hurt him and benefit Rosberg, as Don't panic suggested above. And considering the (reported/rumored) state of affairs between the two, Rosberg may have feared that if he had closed on Lewis to try and force the pass, Lewis would have held him up, anyway. We know that the wake turbulence from the rear of the cars causes the front of the car behind to wash out if it is too close and that increases wear on the front tires. As such, Nico would have gotten past in the end, but he would have done damage to his tires in doing so and at that point, indeed might not have been able to sufficiently close the gap to Alonso and Ricciardo sufficiently to jump them in the final pit stop.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Oh, Bernie....

Also, the Canal+ Hungary in-cockpit video seems to have been rushed, it was nowhere as nice as the Germany one.

"Jacques, make sure you get the Hungary race edited and on the web before you go on vacation for all of August!"

"Ca va Pierre! OK to do it quick? Traffic is already building!"

"Sure, no one will notice, they'll be on vacation too!"

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Sadly ive not been able to follow the racing this year, the BBC only have half the races and as such i have just not be bothering to catch up.

When the BBC lost the races to ITV years ago, i tried to follow them , but the adverts, usually happening right where something interesting did, broke the feeling for me,

Sundays used to be race day, sit down, buffet and beer out, and watch the pre-race show and the race in one sitting, now, i go out and do stuff.

F1 has on the whole gotten VERY greedy, im not paying sky to watch 22-24 weekends of racing a year just because they bid an outrageous amount and the BBC couldn't afford to pay that for ALL the races.

In fact, shouldn't the BBC be held to order over this, as they are now basically an advertisement for sky sports every time they don't show a race.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sadly ive not been able to follow the racing this year, the BBC only have half the races and as such i have just not be bothering to catch up.

When the BBC lost the races to ITV years ago, i tried to follow them , but the adverts, usually happening right where something interesting did, broke the feeling for me,

Sundays used to be race day, sit down, buffet and beer out, and watch the pre-race show and the race in one sitting, now, i go out and do stuff.

F1 has on the whole gotten VERY greedy, im not paying sky to watch 22-24 weekends of racing a year just because they bid an outrageous amount and the BBC couldn't afford to pay that for ALL the races.

In fact, shouldn't the BBC be held to order over this, as they are now basically an advertisement for sky sports every time they don't show a race.

Non sky subscriber here. The BBC extended highlights are not that bad. I've been able to follow the season fine. Yes I'd prefer every race live, but I'd take what I can.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
BBC iPlayer is the only way I get to watch the races, being a stateside cable cutter.

Actually the edited recaps are pretty good and I don't mind them cutting out the boring follow the leader stuff.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I'm with you here!
F1 has done its best to drive the sport out of reach of the fans and I'm certainly not paying 45 quid a month to watch half a season on Sky! I still catch up on the BBC though and none of my F1 loving friends followed the sport onto Sky either. They might as well be not showing it as far as I am concerned and the sport needs to realise the BBC on FTA is the only way to maintain its popularity in the long term.

Sky might have an impressive set up for those who can afford the luxury of watching, but with such dismal viewing figures its a wonder they are allowed to have exclusive coverage. They need to lower their prices or give up on expecting people to subscribe.

At least Spa is a BBC race so I will see this one live.

----------

I suppose that can be taken as a positive though as its pushed your interests towards other activities on a Sunday. I'm the same in that respect but used to record most of the races and watch delayed anyway. Sundays are too precious to be stuck in the house for me and with a young family its selfish for me to let it affect them. Highlights are ok and I am good at avoiding the result. I just wish all the races were on the Beeb so I could watch them in full.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
I'm sure we've all heard the news that Jean-Eric Vergne will be replaced at Toro Rosso by 16 year old Max Verstappen for 2015.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
BBC iPlayer is the only way I get to watch the races, being a stateside cable cutter.

Actually the edited recaps are pretty good and I don't mind them cutting out the boring follow the leader stuff.

So you see lap 1 and 2, latp 32 where there is a crash and then the last 2 laps lol

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
So you see lap 1 and 2, latp 32 where there is a crash and then the last 2 laps lol

I can't recall a BBC "summary" which wasn't a very large fraction of the race, pushing perhaps over 80% of the race.

Now, there are 5 minute highlight packages which are as you describe.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Big weekend coming up! Is it too easy to predict this time around?

Merc 1-2, Williams 3-4, Red Bull 5-6, Ferrari 7-8?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Big weekend coming up! Is it too easy to predict this time around?

Merc 1-2, Williams 3-4, Red Bull 5-6, Ferrari 7-8?

Sadly this is the way it could go. But I think one of the Bulls or Williams will challenge for second place this weekend.

Mercedes hasn't had the best luck recently and their inter-team battle is bound to continue to take its toll. At least I hope so. Let's keep it interesting.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No, the BBC are generally pretty good with their highlights and often you don't feel anything has been missed out. A few laps are skipped here and there but its usually during quieter periods of the race. It does means its difficult to follow strategy and timing, but I don't have time to invest that level of following any more.

It would be nice to still have the whole race, however highlights are not the end of the world and are put together very well. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than paying through the nose for the fairly bland effort Sky broadcast too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.