Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vault

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
No-one at Apple screwed it up. It's a speed bump to tide over until the next gen machine with Broadwell. Intel are offering faster CPUs at the same price, so Apple took the opportunity to refresh the range.

It wasn't a big secret that broadwell would be delayed, we knew about it for a year. Apple should've planned their updates accordingly. No one forces them to stick with Intel's schedule, they could as well base them around GPU releases.

Designing a new logic board with Maxwell, writing firmware, updating the OS and Drivers followed by QA/testing all at the last minute due to a hitch with Intel production schedule is an epic waste of money if it's only for 6 months.

Oh poor Apple, they can't even keep up with generic pc laptops any more :rolleyes:

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
No-one at Apple screwed it up. It's a speed bump to tide over until the next gen machine with Broadwell. Intel are offering faster CPUs at the same price, so Apple took the opportunity to refresh the range.

Designing a new logic board with Maxwell, writing firmware, updating the OS and Drivers followed by QA/testing all at the last minute due to a hitch with Intel production schedule is an epic waste of money if it's only for 6 months.

The 750M is fit for purpose, unless your a hardcore gamer. In which case go buy an MSI gaming PC that weighs a lot more and has a 2 hour battery life.
No reason to defend Apple on it. Leaving the GPU update out is lame and that's what it is. If it's only 6 months they should be able to utilize any OS level work needed when the next update comes around. However, the latest rumors seem to be pointing towards summer 2015 which would be 12 months give or take.

I believe the 800M series has made gains especially in the battery-saving features compared to 700M series which renders your MSI recommendation slightly paradoxical.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I'm guessing we only got this update because:

-a small update for the Pros so they can make a big splash with retina Airs in a few months or so.
-Macs have been good sellers all year.
-they want to save a video bump for increased dpi in all-new Pro next year.
-increased battery benefits that's included with new gpu.
-make the most money they can.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
instead of waiting for next intel processor...how about you buy a current one if you NEED it.

Exactly. I just bought the maxed out rmbp 15" because I need it now.

I would not want to wait another year just for a new processor. Maybe next year I will get a mba instead.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Where is my new 17"? I am a professional, god damn it. :cool:

Apple hates you then :(
The removal of the 17" MBP must just be to annoy pros. I don't get it.

----------

Yeah, what kind of IDIOT would want a machine where you can put in 16 gigs of RAM and have 4TBs of storage.

:rolleyes:

You'd be getting ripped off, stuck with really outdated parts for wanting to have an upgradeable laptop Mac. I never said "idiot", just that I feel bad for anyone stuck in that situation.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
No the GPU is less powerful than a 2006 graphic card, that is UNACCEPTABLE.

Then, I was waiting for the mid-high 13" model update, since for the price, the configuration was way too weak.

They didn't update these model, AT ALL, and if you want to double to 16GB it's still THREE times the price of the unit on the market...

So no, I've had a Powerbook, a Macbook White, a Macbook Air, but Macs have become to much of overprice piece of very weak and outdated tech, especially the graphic cards...I prefer to just switch to PC again.
Good luck with that✌️

HitchHykr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
You need some sleep. They were redesigned 2 years ago.

About the updates...

This is why Apple needs their own solution for their Macs. Say what you want, but Intel will focus less and less and less on such CPUs and does aren't worthy that much anymore.

Apple can't wait. The potential for their own SoC is huge.

The grass is always greener, etc. etc....

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
What's the difference between 2.4 GHz and 2.6ghz - is it worth a exchange?

200 MHz. (Not trying to be funny. Given that the micro architecture is otherwise essentially identical, you will get about 200/2400 = 8% more performance.)

If you can exchange for free, you probably should - in a few years you'll have a 2014 machine instead of a 2013 machine to sell.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
"Most exciting product lineup in 25 years" my ass!

With all of these silent spec bumps, the only things Apple has left to update via keynote are the iMacs, iPads, and the iPhone 6. The iMac is going to get the silent treatment as well. Actually, the only major update I see is the iPhone 6 as the iPad will be a minor spec bump.

I'm glad I switched to Android and Win8/Ubuntu. Android always receives new stuff every year, and new hardware upgrades yearly too. Not to mention, Android isn't six years behind.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
GTX would use more power, and therefore emit more heat. It's a Pro laptop, not a gaming powerhouse.

As for barely capable - don't talk rot.

The GTX 850m has the same TDP as, and has better power management than the GT 750m.

Don't put someone down for talking rot, when the only one doing so is you, from a position of gross ignorance.

----------

I paid £50 to upgrade my MBP to a 1.1 TB Fusion Drive.
What are you paying for a 1TB SSD Drive?

Something he and I can afford.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I say October 2015. At this point, Apple should just wait until Skylake before making a major redesign. Broadwell will be one of the shortest-lived processors in Intel history.

What? I am waiting for Apple next major upgrade, and I was hoping for Broadwell (currently using late '08 core2duo). God knows when Broadwell is going to be released, and when that happens its going to be short lived and macbooks will have a complete redesign?

I am not paying $2000 for a laptop to be outdated in 8 months.

I find it very hard that Broadwells are coming in Oct. 2 updates in 2 months time difference? I say january at the least

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
What? I am waiting for Apple next major upgrade, and I was hoping for Broadwell (currently using late '08 core2duo). God knows when Broadwell is going to be released, and when that happens its going to be short lived and macbooks will have a complete redesign?

I find it very hard that Broadwells are coming in Oct. 2 updates in 2 months time difference? I say january at the least
Um, he said 2015...we're talking 14 months. Who knows, could happen the way things have gone since the iToy explosion.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
It wasn't a big secret that broadwell would be delayed, we knew about it for a year. Apple should've planned their updates accordingly. No one forces them to stick with Intel's schedule, they could as well base them around GPU releases.

Oh poor Apple, they can't even keep up with generic pc laptops any more :rolleyes:

Find me a more powerful GPU that uses 35W and I'll agree with you. Otherwise, it's a battery life vs. GPU argument and that's all a matter of personal opinion. As far as GPU power/watt goes I am not impressed with Nvidia's latest GT8xx GPU's.

You'll notice that these PC laptops that apple supposedly "can't keep up with" all have either worse battery life, worse display, worse processor, etc. something is always worse. OR they're more expensive.

So please take your ignorant uninformed bashing elsewhere.

----------

Have you ever been able to buy a laptop that wasn't outdated within 3 months? I haven't. And I've bought a lot of laptops.

Last edited:

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
Find me a more powerful GPU that uses 35W and I'll agree with you. Otherwise, it's a battery life vs. GPU argument and that's all a matter of personal opinion. As far as GPU power/watt goes I am not impressed with Nvidia's latest GT8xx GPU's.

You'll notice that these PC laptops that apple supposedly "can't keep up with" all have either worse battery life, worse display, worse processor, etc. something is always worse. OR they're more expensive.

So please take your ignorant uninformed bashing elsewhere.

----------

Have you ever been able to buy a laptop that wasn't outdated within 3 months? I haven't. And I've bought a lot of laptops.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about; you even get the TDP values for the 15" GPU wrong. The 8xxx series Maxwell chips are an incredible improvement over the 7xxx series, the GTX 850m using the same or less power whilst delivering double the performance. So please, "take your ignorant uninformed bashing elsewhere".

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
ugh, right when i purchased my first MBP about 2 weeks ago. is there any way to return the MBP (purchased from Best Buy, they only have 15 day return policy) and switch it for the latest MBP haswell refresh? (15 inch 8GB RAM version for the updated 15 inch base model 16GB RAM)

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Fact 7: For all your numbers the Mac still accounts for a paltry 5-10% market share around the world with Windows having a dominant 80% in most places.
When you refer to 'Mac' I awesome then you talk of market share of hardware? Microsoft has 0% of market share of personal computers. When you compare OS then of course Windows is higher, as they are installed on every non mac pc sold.
If you want to compare apples with well non apples, then try this one, what customers upgraded to when they had a choice, you'll find that mac users upgraded to Mavericks in over 50% of there install base, only 3% have upgraded to Windows 8.

ugh, right when i purchased my first MBP about 2 weeks ago. is there any way to return the MBP

Essentially you can return it within that timeframe if there is something wrong with the machine, or you just don't want it. A refund or replacement can be offered. I made a call, and that was what I was told. To upgrade from 2.6 to 2.8 was a waste of time for Apple and I.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
No reason to defend Apple on it. Leaving the GPU update out is lame and that's what it is. If it's only 6 months they should be able to utilize any OS level work needed when the next update comes around. However, the latest rumors seem to be pointing towards summer 2015 which would be 12 months give or take.

I believe the 800M series has made gains especially in the battery-saving features compared to 700M series which renders your MSI recommendation slightly paradoxical.

Apple wouldn't enjoy the profit margins that they currently do if they went for 800M series chips this time around.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
What a crazy generalisation.

There are 'sorts' of MacBook Pro users who don't need 512GB. Millions of them in fact.

I think you misunderstood me. All I was saying was those people don't actually 'need' a MacBook Pro to do their work. They just buy them because they are the best laptops available.

To push a Macbook Pro to its full potential you would have to be doing something like 3D rendering and animation, video editing, music production etc. All those kind of jobs will fill up a 256GB SSD in no time. Even the iMac I use for photoshop, print-work and web design has well over 300GB used already and that only contains relatively small files that I access on a regular basis.

MacBook Pros are aimed at professionals, but only the top-spec model is really viable for professionals, that's all I'm saying. If you just look at them as a standard consumer laptop, then all the models are fine for anyone. They are just a very expensive solution for checking Facebook or working in Word or Excel.

My real point was that if the MacBooks need anything upgrading it's the SSD capacity, and that's something they haven't upgraded. Everything else is already very good, even for high-end work.

Apple should really make any size of SSD an option in any model, but they are just trying to push you to more expensive systems, by limiting upgrade choices. Even if you aren't a pro, you may still have a big music, movie or photo library and not want to faff around with slow external storage.

my real complaint is still -- no matte display.
As someone who does graphics work all day long, I don't understand this argument. The diffuse glow you get on matte screens is much worse than the crystal clear image and gorgeous blacks you get from a screen behind glass. I've used both, for a long time, and I would never go back to matte screens. If reflection is an issue, just don't sit with bright lights behind you, or tilt your screen slightly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.