Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Should I buy the Macbook Air '13 (2014 model)?

Because everyday I read somewhere that a '12 Air with retina display is coming out, so this rumor stop me from buying the latest '13 Air.

Maybe there isn't a huge difference between the two but I don't want to buy the current one if some weeks later the reitna Air will come out shortly after.

Is this rumor realistic? Should I wait? When the new Macbook Air are usually introduced?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The mba just received a bump and price reduction.Buy now. Best time to do so.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
There is no harm in waiting if you do not need a computer. Nobody really knows when it will come out because Apple is waiting on Intel to release their new processors. So far, the earliest expected date is October 2014. It may be released as late as March 2015.

If you do need a computer though, now is a very good time to buy a MBA. In the past few weeks, the price has dropped as low as $750 new at BestBuy. It is a great computer that will last any consumer 5 years at least, and the price is extremely reasonable if you look around. The new rMBA will most likely have a high price and potentially glitchy hardware, so waiting for the 2nd or 3rd generation isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Matt

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
If you need it now, buy it now. Existing models have already gotten the only upgrades they are getting this year.

I too was holding off in anticipation of the new 12" rMBA but Intel's latest delay schedule of well into next year puts it too far out for me to wait so I just ordered a new current MBA. If your needs are less urgent you could hold off until they are urgent but the likelihood is no 12" rMBA until well into next year.

Good luck in your decision

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Should I buy the Macbook Air '13 (2014 model)?

Because everyday I read somewhere that a '12 Air with retina display is coming out, so this rumor stop me from buying the latest '13 Air.

If you need the computer, don't wait - could be a while on the 12.
What's interesting is the updated 13 rMBP midrange compared to the Air.

I'm helping someone decide who has a 2012 13inch Air now, and wants more drive space and a better screen for road photo edits. When we A/B the 2 models, the excuses for the newest Air dwindle. Weight/Size are too close and we are not fooled by the skinny front edge any more. She needs the better screen and the 7-8oz difference is suddenly not an issue.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Here's a table I put together to help me decide. Prices will be a bit off due to some discounts but gives you the general idea.

If I was going 13" I would have likely gone with the rMBP but I ultimately decided to stay with the 11" MBA

Attachments

• 2014 Macbook Evaluation.xlsx.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 193
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.