Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Flash-crapware.jpg

Here is the link on that ad. The ad has the following disclaimer:

This site distributes software free of charge via WeDownload Manager which is compatible with Mac running OS X 10.6+. Besides managing the download of your selected software, the download manager will make recommendations for commercial offers that you might be interested in. The additional software may include toolbars, browser add-ons and other types of software applications. You are not required to install any additional software to receive the software you are trying to download. You can completely remove any of the installed programs at any time in Mac Applications folder. More info about the uninstalling can be found here.

In other words, along with your Flash, you get a crapware manager installed on your machine. :eek: This commercial appeared as the "Sponsored" message in the recent Flash news item on the Mac Blog.

Does MR allow WeDownload "Sponsored" commercials?

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Here's a second "free" Flash download service with its own crapware service:

Flash-crapware-2.jpg

Here is the link that second ad goes to.

This "free" download manager also asks you about crapware to install on your machine. FAIL.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I'm still seeing these advertisements in the "Sponsored" box on this thread.

Are these viewed as acceptable advertisements for MR?

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I'm still seeing these advertisements. I saw one for the macflashplayer.org crapware service today (message #2 in this thread).

If MR is attempting to actively filter these advertisements, I have no problem flagging them when I see 'em. If MR has no problem with the ads promoting crapware downloads, just say that and I'll stop flagging those ads.

I don't know what it means when the ads persist and MR ignores messages noting them in the forums. Moderators? Arn?

Thanks.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm still seeing these advertisements. I saw one for the macflashplayer.org crapware service today (message #2 in this thread).

If MR is attempting to actively filter these advertisements, I have no problem flagging them when I see 'em. If MR has no problem with the ads promoting crapware downloads, just say that and I'll stop flagging those ads.

I don't know what it means when the ads persist and MR ignores messages noting them in the forums. Moderators? Arn?

Thanks.

That's something Arn takes care of. Moderators have no access to or anything to do with adverts.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
And Macrumors is supported by ad revenue, so they might stay there...

Of course. But I'm not sure what your point is. Your comment has a false dilemma (a logical fallacy). MR can have advertisements, and those advertisements don't have to step on the sensibilities of the customers here. If you educate yourself and look at the archives in this forum, you'll see all sorts of advertising that has been snipped out of the MR advertisement feed.

There is a delicate balance to advertising on high-quality sites. I appreciate that Arn and his staff bend over backwards to maintain the quality of advertisements here. In return, I do nothing to filter the ads served up by this site. I fondly hope that the majority of MR readers do the same.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Of course. But I'm not sure what your point is. Your comment has a false dilemma (a logical fallacy). MR can have advertisements, and those advertisements don't have to step on the sensibilities of the customers here. If you educate yourself and look at the archives in this forum, you'll see all sorts of advertising that has been snipped out of the MR advertisement feed.

There is a delicate balance to advertising on high-quality sites. I appreciate that Arn and his staff bend over backwards to maintain the quality of advertisements here. In return, I do nothing to filter the ads served up by this site. I fondly hope that the majority of MR readers do the same.

Of course. I simply misunderstood your intention in previous posts where it seemed you were against the notion of advertisements entirely.

I for one also hope they are removed, but these are also one of the most common types of ads, and will likely show up again down the line.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I for one also hope they are removed, but these are also one of the most common types of ads, and will likely show up again down the line.

I don't understand. AFAICT, ads promoting crapware are only a tiny percentage of the ads on MR.

The whack-a-mole with the penny auction sites took about 6 months, but they now seem gone.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I don't understand. AFAICT, ads promoting crapware are only a tiny percentage of the ads on MR.

The whack-a-mole with the penny auction sites took about 6 months, but they now seem gone.

:eek: Maybe it is just me then. I see them a lot of places. Mostly for flash/video converters.
Perhaps I've been spending too much time on YouTube and trying to get the legit version of VLC :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.