Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I have home sharing up and running on my server (mac mini late 2011) and working fine over both ethernet (another mac mini) and wifi (macbook pro retina), but I can't seem to get it to work with my iOS devices (ipad 3 and iphone 5c). Both see the library and will connect with it, and after a looong load time, will show the entire library; however, when I click on a track to play, it looks like it's about to play, then jumps to the next track and does the same thing, etc., similar to how older itunes versions acted when you tried to play an album you'd deleted from your library. It's obviously connecting but something is going a bit...strange? All devices and computers are logged in with the same Apple ID...

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Ok, just in case anyone else has this problem:

I just spent about two hours in a LiveChat with Apple support; fittingly, the support site went down for maintenance just after we started talking, so it took a lot of trial and error. Apparently this is an uncommon, but not rare, problem with Home Sharing and larger libraries. The problem ended up being that the device was going to the lock screen before the library finished loading, which then somehow corrupted the shared library. Closing "Music" (iTunes) on the iOS device, then reopening, reconnecting, and allowing the library to load fully without the device locking (kept tapping the screens periodically) solved the problem, or seemed to, as I have both my iPad and iPhone playing different songs from my server as I type this (Afghan Whigs and Bauhaus, which is really weird, in case anyone was curious).

So to recap: problem appears to be that iOS can't continue loading on its own, you have to keep it from locking (even though it can stream from the same source while locked; I know, it makes no sense, but there you have it)...

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
I find the library slow to load too. I am running my library off a rMBP15 and on both 5s and iPad Air it's slooooow to load, and usually have to close the app, and reload to connect. After that it's ok.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Ok, just in case anyone else has this problem:

I just spent about two hours in a LiveChat with Apple support; fittingly, the support site went down for maintenance just after we started talking, so it took a lot of trial and error. Apparently this is an uncommon, but not rare, problem with Home Sharing and larger libraries. The problem ended up being that the device was going to the lock screen before the library finished loading, which then somehow corrupted the shared library. Closing "Music" (iTunes) on the iOS device, then reopening, reconnecting, and allowing the library to load fully without the device locking (kept tapping the screens periodically) solved the problem, or seemed to, as I have both my iPad and iPhone playing different songs from my server as I type this (Afghan Whigs and Bauhaus, which is really weird, in case anyone was curious).

So to recap: problem appears to be that iOS can't continue loading on its own, you have to keep it from locking (even though it can stream from the same source while locked; I know, it makes no sense, but there you have it)...

I find the library slow to load too. I am running my library off a rMBP15 and on both 5s and iPad Air it's slooooow to load, and usually have to close the app, and reload to connect. After that it's ok.
Any new tips to offer as a follow up? I have the same problem as the OP but my library rarely loads. I am stuck on the spin wheel at about 85% and it never finishes. If it does finish most of the time it does like you say plays silence, then repeatedly skips through my library as if a file is missing.

I am trying to connect from an iPad Air to an iMac both are updated

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.