Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so please indulge me if this question has been already answered.

I have upgraded my MacBook5,1 Intel Core 2 duo 2,4GHz (late 2008) with a 8G RAM and a SSD (OWC - Electra 3G - 480 GB) installed recently and I have noticed an increase of heating. The CPU is working fine, around 6-7%, with momentary peaks of 70% from the WindowServer (but only for a second or two from time to time).

Nevertheless the temperature is around 68C (151F) and the fan is spinning like 6100 RPM. Do you know if it is an SSD issue?

Spotlight is not indexing.

I am using Mac OS 10.6.8

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

M.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so please indulge me if this question has been already answered.

I have upgraded my MacBook5,1 Intel Core 2 duo 2,4GHz (late 2008) with a 8G RAM and a SSD (OWC - Electra 3G - 480 GB) installed recently and I have noticed an increase of heating. The CPU is working fine, around 6-7%, with momentary peaks of 70% from the WindowServer (but only for a second or two from time to time).

Nevertheless the temperature is around 68C (151F) and the fan is spinning like 6100 RPM. Do you know if it is an SSD issue?

Spotlight is not indexing.

I am using Mac OS 10.6.8

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

M.

Did you clone your hard drive or do a fresh installation from scratch?

MacBady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Hi Altemose,

do you mean to install the OS only or all the applications?
Do I need to format the SSD again or can I just overwrite?

M.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
MacBook5,1 oveheating after SSD installation

Hi Altemose,

do you mean to install the OS only or all the applications?

Do I need to format the SSD again or can I just overwrite?

M.

Start with an SMC and PRAM reset. Then check the CPU Usage in Activity monitor. In the event of doing a fresh install you would wipe the SSD. But start small and work your way up the chain.

MacBady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Thank you Altemose,

I will do as you suggest and report the results

M.

MacBady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Solved

Hi everybody,

I have tried all of the above: SMC and PRAM reset +"Repair Permissions" on Disk Utility with slight improvement.

But what really killed it was disabling the Lightning Add-on from my Thunderbird mail client. This is a known bug in Thunderbird, I surfed the web as crazy to find it.
The CPU is fine now, without peaks and is working constantly at 48°C.

Now I need to search for a Calendar solution for iMail, not sure it exists.

Thanks everybody for your help.

M. :apple:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi everybody,

I have tried all of the above: SMC and PRAM reset +"Repair Permissions" on Disk Utility with slight improvement.

But what really killed it was disabling the Lightning Add-on from my Thunderbird mail client. This is a known bug in Thunderbird, I surfed the web as crazy to find it.

The CPU is fine now, without peaks and is working constantly at 48°C.

Now I need to search for a Calendar solution for iMail, not sure it exists.

Thanks everybody for your help.

M. :apple:

Glad you found the problem without having to reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.