Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
l use to love using my Chrome browser on my MBR but now browsing is not as pleasurably easy, eg when browse, eg doing a speedtest.net frequently the page will go to another page, often l get windows which just pop up eg "MacKeeper","FlixJunky". l can't even access my HSBC internet banking since it no longer allows pop up which is essential. I have deleted all history, cookies, but this still happens, do l have to uninstall Chrome and reinstall? My safari also doesnt allow pop ups and has the annoying pop up screen "MacKeeper". please help me get them back to how they use to be.
will MacKeeper help?

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Thanks for the tool Weaselboy, l downloaded it and got a zip file on my desktop, but l can't seem to open it! "Archive utility" is the default app that it opens with but I only ever get a small Archive utility window that says "Expanding TSMART.zip" please see enclosed screen shot.
how do l open it?

thanks again

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 1.53.31 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 1.53.31 pm.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 104

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the tool Weaselboy, l downloaded it and got a zip file on my desktop, but l can't seem to open it! "Archive utility" is the default app that it opens with but I only ever get a small Archive utility window that says "Expanding TSMART.zip" please see enclosed screen shot.
how do l open it?

thanks again

Hmmm... that's odd. I just downloaded it and it unzipped in about one second.

Maybe delete the ZIP and redownload then try again?

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Hmmm... that's odd. I just downloaded it and it unzipped in about one second.

Maybe delete the ZIP and redownload then try again?

well turns out l opened it many times over, check screen shot , it removed only 2 malwares l think, check screen shot. are these malicious ones? l have had my MBR for over a year and never used any virus or adware software, when l used a pc l used both, and ran the adware a few times a week, and each time it would find dozens of malware. discrepancy or what?
my chrome is now behaving itself thanks to you :) l can do speedtest.net as multiple times and access my HSBC banking which l couldnt do before because of these malwares.
how often should we run TSMART and is it equivalent to the pcs malware softwares?
lastly, how did u know about this software?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 5.40.56 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 5.40.56 pm.png
    479.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 5.39.23 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 5.39.23 pm.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 5.39.02 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-26 at 5.39.02 pm.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 131

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
well turns out l opened it many times over, check screen shot , it removed only 2 malwares l think, check screen shot. are these malicious ones? l have had my MBR for over a year and never used any virus or adware software, when l used a pc l used both, and ran the adware a few times a week, and each time it would find dozens of malware. discrepancy or what?
my chrome is now behaving itself thanks to you :) l can do speedtest.net as multiple times and access my HSBC banking which l couldnt do before because of these malwares.
how often should we run TSMART and is it equivalent to the pcs malware softwares?
lastly, how did u know about this software?

Glad this fixed you up!

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-downlite/

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-spigot/

You can read about both those buggers at these links. Basically they are both adware and you should be okay now with them deleted.

What is happening is formerly trustworthy sites like CNet are bundling this crap in with the installers for apps you download from them. Really sleazy. You can read about it here.

The only way you would have gotten this adware installed was if you approved the installation of it, but that could have been installed as part of a regular app you downloaded from somewhere like CNet, so you did not realize you were installing adware.

I ran across the site mentioned at some Mac news site I follow and have been following the author on Twitter ever since. He does a good job of keeping up with Mac security issues.

http://www.thesafemac.com/twitter/

As long as you are careful about where you get apps you install, you would never need to run this tool again.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Weaselboy, whats your opinion on mac using antivirus? l thought about downloading some torrents but not sure how u can check whether the file is infected. surely an antivirus programme would scan it and tell you? if an online scanner could do that for you, that would be useful, no?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy, whats your opinion on mac using antivirus? l thought about downloading some torrents but not sure how u can check whether the file is infected. surely an antivirus programme would scan it and tell you? if an online scanner could do that for you, that would be useful, no?

Ordinarily, I'm not a proponent of AV on the Mac with two exceptions... people that are getting files from places like bit torrent and users who exchange files with Windows users. The torrents for the reason you mentioned (and yes an online scanner would work) and infected MS Office files being exchanged with Windows users. Even though these infected files would not hurt your Mac, you don't want to be passing them along to other users.

If you do want to use an AV, the free ClamXAV is a good choice.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Ordinarily, I'm not a proponent of AV on the Mac with two exceptions... people that are getting files from places like bit torrent and users who exchange files with Windows users. The torrents for the reason you mentioned (and yes an online scanner would work) and infected MS Office files being exchanged with Windows users. Even though these infected files would not hurt your Mac, you don't want to be passing them along to other users.

If you do want to use an AV, the free ClamXAV is a good choice.

Weaselboy, what is the reason you're not a proponent of AV? and you said "yes an online scanner would work" where is the online scanner? l know of online scanners for websites that might b infected, eg https://safeweb.norton.com/ but not an online scanner for files that have been downloaded,

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy, what is the reason you're not a proponent of AV? and you said "yes an online scanner would work" where is the online scanner? l know of online scanners for websites that might b infected, eg https://safeweb.norton.com/ but not an online scanner for files that have been downloaded,

https://www.virustotal.com/en/

If you search for "online virus file scan" you will find several like the one above. You upload the file to them and they scan and give you the results. For the occasional torrent file, that may be all you need.

--

Most times this issue comes up here, we have a whole host of forum contributors who will just flatly say "You don't need AV on a Mac." I think that is short sighted and an oversimplification of the issue.

At this point, there are not any reports of actual Mac viruses out there in circulation, so this leaves adware and malware as the big threat. Your Mac has XProtect built in to scan downloaded files for malware, but Apple has in the past been a little slow to update this protection.

Running an AV app may not stop you from getting malware/adware, but the hope is if you do get infected the AV app will at some point alert you to the problem. The example I use is good old Uncle Bob who has no idea about any of this and you are his tech support. You just tell Uncle Bob if he gets an AV alert popup to give you a call. Now none of this has stopped him from getting the malware, but at least it tells Uncle Bob to give you a ring because there is a problem. I think there is value in that.

I think you need to stop and ask what the user is doing on their Mac and what is the users level of computer sophistication (like Uncle Bob). Like I mentioned in my reply earlier, I think if you are installing apps from risky sources you should run an AV app. Or if you are exchanging files with Windows users, you should run an AV app.

So I am not at all against running AV on a Mac and I think in some cases it is a good idea. Just depends on the user and what they do with their Mac.

I hope this helps and would welcome any feedback/discussion. :)

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
https://www.virustotal.com/en/

If you search for "online virus file scan" you will find several like the one above. You upload the file to them and they scan and give you the results. For the occasional torrent file, that may be all you need.

--

Most times this issue comes up here, we have a whole host of forum contributors who will just flatly say "You don't need AV on a Mac." I think that is short sighted and an oversimplification of the issue.

At this point, there are not any reports of actual Mac viruses out there in circulation, so this leaves adware and malware as the big threat. Your Mac has XProtect built in to scan downloaded files for malware, but Apple has in the past been a little slow to update this protection.

Running an AV app may not stop you from getting malware/adware, but the hope is if you do get infected the AV app will at some point alert you to the problem. The example I use is good old Uncle Bob who has no idea about any of this and you are his tech support. You just tell Uncle Bob if he gets an AV alert popup to give you a call. Now none of this has stopped him from getting the malware, but at least it tells Uncle Bob to give you a ring because there is a problem. I think there is value in that.

I think you need to stop and ask what the user is doing on their Mac and what is the users level of computer sophistication (like Uncle Bob). Like I mentioned in my reply earlier, I think if you are installing apps from risky sources you should run an AV app. Or if you are exchanging files with Windows users, you should run an AV app.

So I am not at all against running AV on a Mac and I think in some cases it is a good idea. Just depends on the user and what they do with their Mac.

I hope this helps and would welcome any feedback/discussion. :)

Weaselboy, thanks for the superb clear replies, so helps educate the not so tech savvy, me! only recently got introduced to torrents, downloaded about a dozen over few months, in future if l download a torrent, you recommend that l use http://www.virustotal.com before opening? and that should protect me from any viruses ? what should l look for in the torrent to ensure it is safer? and are there a reputable sites?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy, thanks for the superb clear replies, so helps educate the not so tech savvy, me! only recently got introduced to torrents, downloaded about a dozen over few months, in future if l download a torrent, you recommend that l use http://www.virustotal.com before opening? and that should protect me from any viruses ? what should l look for in the torrent to ensure it is safer? and are there a reputable sites?

It depends on what kind of torrent you are downloading. If it is just a video file, that is safe to go ahead and play. But if you are downloading apps you plan to install, that is the real danger and you should scan those somewhere like the site I mentioned. Even then, there is no way to know for sure if someone embedded something evil inside the app.

There aren't any reputable torrent sites I have ever seen as much of what the offer up is pirated software. Some have kind of a reputation system where regular uploaders who are "trusted" are marked. If you look on Pirate Bay for example you will see some users with a pink skull and crossbones by their name indicating they have been around a while.

Appletise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
It depends on what kind of torrent you are downloading. If it is just a video file, that is safe to go ahead and play. But if you are downloading apps you plan to install, that is the real danger and you should scan those somewhere like the site I mentioned. Even then, there is no way to know for sure if someone embedded something evil inside the app.

There aren't any reputable torrent sites I have ever seen as much of what the offer up is pirated software. Some have kind of a reputation system where regular uploaders who are "trusted" are marked. If you look on Pirate Bay for example you will see some users with a pink skull and crossbones by their name indicating they have been around a while.

No definitely not apps or software, only some videos, for my two young children and of course couple of adult ones for self :) can those "video" torrents not be corrupted? a scan with virustotal makes sense no?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
No definitely not apps or software, only some videos, for my two young children and of course couple of adult ones for self :) can those "video" torrents not be corrupted? a scan with virustotal makes sense no?

Nah... if it is just video files you are fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.