Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The Moto X got it right with saying "OK, Google" through voice recognition. Like what was said before, if the iPhone 6 gets an audio processor tacked on then it could assist in voice recognition and prevent this "Hey, Siri" thing from being annoying with multiple iOS devices in the same room.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
Honestly every Apple Store I go to is crowded and would be too loud for it to hear your voice commands. Maybe if you just go up to one of them you could pull this off.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
The feature is more intended to be used in a car. What good is Siri 20 feet away from you exactly when you can't even see the screen?

Because she will read everything back to you, I have used it a few times while in bed and lights out and want to set the mood with some music :p

----------

The Moto X got it right with saying "OK, Google" through voice recognition. Like what was said before, if the iPhone 6 gets an audio processor tacked on then it could assist in voice recognition and prevent this "Hey, Siri" thing from being annoying with multiple iOS devices in the same room.

Welcome to the iPhone 6S with improved voice recognition :D

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
i Have iOS 8 on my iPad and iPhone and when they are both plugged in next to my bed and I say 'hey siri' then ask it to set a reminder they both try to do it.

Ultimately I only need the 'hey siri' on my iPhone so i switched it off on my iPad.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
there was a story about a gaming console commercial waking up consoles around the country. this is why google is working on voice recognition for hello google so it only wakes up for you

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
I did it last week with 4 iPhones (mine plus 3 friends) while in a meeting. All 4 run the beta, 2 with Morphie juice packs, 1 on a wall charger and mine on an external battery to charge. I quietly turned my iPhone to airplane mode and then:

"Hey Siri" - 3 people glare at me
"Call me ballbag" - 3 people wonder how to turn off the feature while I laughed...

oh and only 1 of the 3 heard it right, the other 2 got close enough to be funny

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
very well put and sums up why i havent used Siri since the first week after i got my old 4S back in the day

You should try it again. Siri is leaps and bounds better than it was when it first came out.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I have 5 iOS devices in my house and rarely are any of them are charging at the same time or even be within ear shot of me. I really don't see this as an issue.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Perhaps one solution is for Apple to setup the iPhone to activate SIRI by people saying 'HEY XYZ..' instead of HEY SIRI. (XYZ being the name associated with your phone...)

This way only your iOS device will be activated instead....

I know you would look like a muppet when people think you are talking to yourself....but you will at least activate the right phone...

ZAPELECTRIFIED

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2014
CA, USA
Perhaps one solution is for Apple to setup the iPhone to activate SIRI by people saying 'HEY XYZ..' instead of HEY SIRI. (XYZ being the name associated with your phone...)

This way only your iOS device will be activated instead....

I know you would look like a muppet when people think you are talking to yourself....but you will at least activate the right phone...

^ I agree, we should be able to give Siri a nickname for our own personal iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.