Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's spotting of an unreleased "Mac mini (Mid 2014)" on an Apple support page, French site Consomac noticed [Google Translate, via MacPlus] another entry on the same page mentioning a Mid 2014 27-inch iMac model. Both the Mac mini and iMac entries have since been removed from the page, although they are still visible on a cached version of the page from yesterday.

imac_mid_2014_27_listing.jpg
Apple did release a new low-end Mid 2014 21.5-inch iMac last month, but the remainder of the iMac lineup remained untouched and those machines are still considered Late 2013 models.

While the Mac mini entry has been taken as a hint that an upgrade may be imminent, especially since the machine has not been updated since October 2012, the iMac entry may point more towards the inclusions being an error. With the new low-end iMac having been added just last month, it seems unlikely that further iMac updates will occur in the near future.

It is possible Apple may have planned for a broader iMac update in the middle of the year with the low-end model appearing as part of that refresh, but the company may have changed plans due to a lack of chip availability or other factors. Alternatively, it may simply be an error unrelated to Apple's product launch plans.

Article Link: 'Mid 2014' 27-Inch iMac Also Referenced on Apple Support Page

Chastepe

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Derby, UK
This must be apple's new marketing trick for letting us know their plans for new hardware releases. Or perhaps an intern web designer messed it up :D :p

Eweie

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
I choose to believe (in the mythical mac mini update) :apple:

Last edited:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I really want a new iMac. I hope this does point to something happening before too long. If not, I guess I wait for 2015, which sorta chews. Although I guess at that point, I'll have the option of a better processor. *shrug*

J. Jizzle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
U.S.A.
I really hope this is true. I have really wanted to upgrade to a 27" iMac for a while (Currently have a late 2012 Mac Mini). I'm hesitant to upgrade at the moment because I want to wait for the true iMac refresh. Really hoping it will be this year!

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
So much new to buy this year! I'll stick with buying the iPhone 6 first

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
If this is true, then we can say that the upcoming iMac won't be a new model with Retina displays, and is just going to be a small spec bump like the rMBP had yesterday.

It's because it says 21.5" and 27" iMacs, combined with the lack of a new CPU generation. When Apple is making the transition to Retina, I guess they'll opt for different screen sizes as well. 21.5" 4K is non-existent, even 27"! 24" and 28" are more probable for today's market + those screen sizes are already being build in 4K.

Another option is that Apple secretly build 27" 4K or Retina screens to release now in their iMac's, but I highly doubt it. I think they're waiting for Broadwell.

In other words: small spec bump if mid 2014 is true, new Retina iMac is for next year...

Last edited:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
2014: Year of the best product pipeline in 25 years :rolleyes:

Tim Cook said last year Apple was going to have an amazing new lineup of products that would blow everyone away, nothing happened except iPad Air

This year, MAYBE the iWatch lol

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
2014: Year of the best product pipeline in 25 years :rolleyes:

Right but you guys read too much in to CorporateSpeak. Technically all the products that have come out this year are the most powerful in the company's history. So Cook's statement above is true.

Of course he also said Apple would be coming out with new product categories, which has not materialized but also is too soon to expect them as Apple of recent years does not announce new products until very late sumer or early fall. Here in the northern hemisphere, where Apple is HQ'd, it's still mid-summer and will be for another month.

So too soon to gripe. Too soon. Stop watching the paint dry on the walls and do something fun or interesting today!

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am happy to see MR reporting that the french websit spotted the imac on the same page, a day after the mac mini thread lit up with this. I guess a french web site is news worthy while MR readers/posters are not. :/

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I'm assuming there won't be a keynote address for these updates. I feel as though we are running out of time to qualify as "mid-2014."

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Weird that only the 27" model is listed.

I think the opposite (only 21.5" listed) would make more sense if this was to be true. When the iMac got redesigned, the 21.5" model came out first since manufacturing yield was better with a smaller display.

Also, assuming an eventual move to Retina displays, the 21.5" model would be better suited for a 4K display (same screen estate as the current 1080p), while the 27" would ideally be 2880p. I guess 4K is more feasible than 2880p this year.

So yeah, if this was the other way around I'd think this is real, but as it is I'm really skeptical.

Edit: Actually the 21.5" is listed, it's just assumed to be that new entry model with an ULV CPU. If another new 21.5" iMac indeed comes out soon, the term "Mid-2014 21.5" iMac" would then be ambiguous.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
In other words: small spec bump if mid 2014 is true, new Retina iMac is for next year...

I think Chris has hit the nail on the head. This is what I expect too.

I have a mid-2010 27" iMac and I'm holding on to it until a large-display retina iMac comes out. As soon as it does, I'm pulling out my credit card!

Bryan

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I think Chris has hit the nail on the head. This is what I expect too.

I have a mid-2010 27" iMac and I'm holding on to it until a large-display retina iMac comes out. As soon as it does, I'm pulling out my credit card!

Bryan

I'm hoping this is not the case. If Apple wants to be the first to market with mainstream 4k displays, the iMac is the way to go. Next year may be too late.

But then again, maybe they will start with the Thunderbolt 2 Display...

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Mac Mini is better than iMac

I currently have a 2007 iMac 24". I am running Mavericks. I have upgraded it with 6GB of RAM. I also upgraded the HDD to 2TB. It is starting to have stability issues such as freezes, unable to restart reliably, etc. I am either going to get the new Mac Mini or the new iMac 27". While the iMac looks nice, I have some trouble with Apple's direction. I was able to easily upgrade my HDD in the 24" iMac. All I had to remove was the glass (pull it out with suction), remove a few screws, and then pull out the HDD and put the new one it. HDDs fail over time and nothing you can do about it! The new iMac's HDDs are a lot harder to take out. Unless Apple were to release an iMac where the HDD is as easy to take out as the RAM is, I think I want to get a Mac Mini instead. I just wish they would put the same powerful internals in the Mac Mini that they do on the iMac. I could buy a 27 or 30" monitor from many manufacturers that will go with the Mac Mini beautifully! Decisions and decisions! And it looks like Mac Mini holds up in value better than the iMac. A 2007 era Mac Mini goes for almost the same price as my iMac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.