Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
So is the rumored 5.9" "Phablet" Nexus 6 made by Motorola gonna be true ?

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
My dream list would be a Nexus 5 with:

- Same screen, much smaller bezel
- Bigger battery
- Better camera
- Headphone jack on bottom
- Front facing speakers
- Fingerprint reader
- SD card slot

I know the last few are pie-in-the-sky. :)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Motorola Nexus phablet is happening, Android Silver’s future uncertain
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-phablet-android-silver-411112/

I am excited to see how this upcoming Motorola 5.9" Nexus 6 Phablet will compete with the Note 4 this Fall ?

Will be neat to see if Google has special AOSP apps and customizations for a Phablet, like the S-Note stuff Samsung puts on the Note series, but done in stock Android.

Right now my next phone is either;

- Note 4
- Motorola Nexus 6 Phablet

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I hope the battery life is improved. They can't seem to get a good camera and battery life on the Nexus series. 5.9" device is too big for me, though. I've had every Nexus device, but I'm not walking around with a device that big.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Motorola Nexus phablet is happening, Android Silver’s future uncertain
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-phablet-android-silver-411112/

I am excited to see how this upcoming Motorola 5.9" Nexus 6 Phablet will compete with the Note 4 this Fall ?

Will be neat to see if Google has special AOSP apps and customizations for a Phablet, like the S-Note stuff Samsung puts on the Note series, but done in stock Android.

Right now my next phone is either;

- Note 4
- Motorola Nexus 6 Phablet

Well crap! Thats a no go for me then. Why the hell would they go up to 5.9"?
Looks like ill be looking at a possible Moto X+1.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
This new rumor for the Nexus 6 makes perfect sense;

- 5.2" screen is a nice little bump up, and is in line with what they do every year, with a little larger screen size, so this seems totally normal and expected.

- Snapdragon 805 is the new standard this Fall in all Android phones, so no surprise there, I expect this. Every Nexus phone always gets whatever is the latest processor out.

- 3GB RAM ? I guess, that seems to be the standard paring with the 805 processor.

- WQHD display ? That also seems to be the new Android standard the second half of this year. I don't really want it, or see a need for it, to me 1080p is perfectly fine, and battery life worries me with that high res.

- Biggest question, battery size ? With that beastly resolution, we need at least a 3,000mAh to be decent, and sadly the Nexus phones always fall short on battery life, they gimp that every year :( Please Google put in a beast of a battery.

- Next question, who's the manufacturer ? Motorola ? If so, let's see some MAXX style 3,500mAh battery in the Nexus 6 :cool:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Dang. With a 5.9" screen this would have been my dream machine. Looks like it'll have to be Note 4 for me.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
This new rumor for the Nexus 6 makes perfect sense;

- 5.2" screen is a nice little bump up, and is in line with what they do every year, with a little larger screen size, so this seems totally normal and expected.

- Snapdragon 805 is the new standard this Fall in all Android phones, so no surprise there, I expect this. Every Nexus phone always gets whatever is the latest processor out.

- 3GB RAM ? I guess, that seems to be the standard paring with the 805 processor.

- WQHD display ? That also seems to be the new Android standard the second half of this year. I don't really want it, or see a need for it, to me 1080p is perfectly fine, and battery life worries me with that high res.

- Biggest question, battery size ? With that beastly resolution, we need at least a 3,000mAh to be decent, and sadly the Nexus phones always fall short on battery life, they gimp that every year :( Please Google put in a beast of a battery.

- Next question, who's the manufacturer ? Motorola ? If so, let's see some MAXX style 3,500mAh battery in the Nexus 6 :cool:

So very yes. 5.2" is more like it.

Moto X+1 or Nexus 6!

Phone Arena: Motorola Shamu aka Nexus 6 full specs leak: 5.2" QHD screen, Snapdragon 805 and Android L

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Moto...D-screen-Snapdragon-805-and-Android-L_id59287

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
These new specs...

Too good to be true...

Also, what will battery life be like? Even with 3000mah the G3 suffers, and we all know how the battery life is on the Nexus 5.

Awesome specs, but I seriously doubt battery life will be on par.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
These new specs...

Too good to be true...

Also, what will battery life be like? Even with 3000mah the G3 suffers, and we all know how the battery life is on the Nexus 5.

Awesome specs, but I seriously doubt battery life will be on par.

Agree. These rumored specs are spot on, and I predict 100% accurate. Nexus phones always come out with the latest processor. But fall short big time on battery.

Please please please put a MAXX style battery in Nexus 6.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
I would feel more confident about the battery of the Nexus 6 because Motorola is behind it.

I hope it works out.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Agree. These rumored specs are spot on, and I predict 100% accurate. Nexus phones always come out with the latest processor. But fall short big time on battery.

Nexus phones always fall short on camera qualify as well.

Google and whoever partners with Google for the nexus line always takes a shortcut to save a few dollars with the camera qualify.

But Motorola isn't exactly known for making good cell phone cameras to begin with.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I thought I remember reading somewhere they were possibly doing:

nexus 5-phone (5.?")
nexus 6-phone (5.9") basically 6"
nexus 9-tablet

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Even if they include a huge battery inside the QHD display will suck a lot of juice. I think battery life would be similar to the G3 or slightly better due to smaller screen and better optimisation maybe.

Why the need for QHD seriously? 5.2 at 1080P like the G2 is perfect.

I don't need QHD on a phone! :eek::eek:

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Even if they include a huge battery inside the QHD display will suck a lot of juice. I think battery life would be similar to the G3 or slightly better due to smaller screen and better optimisation maybe.

What does QHD even mean? It's more tan 1080 resolution? Better colors? Better in sunlight? What's the draw?

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Motorola event happening Sept 4th.

motorola-event2.jpg

It's really going to come down to the MX+1 and Nexus 6 this year, I think. And if the Nexus 6 is based off of the MX+1, it'll be interesting to see which way people will lean between the two. They'd both, in theory, be very very similar, especially now that Motorola has been so good at updating to the latest OS versions. Price might be a factor. Custom colors for the MX+1 might be a factor.

Will be an interesting Fall, for sure.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

I have QHD on my LG G3 and basically cannot tell the difference unless I hold the phone about an inch from my cornea.

I do think it's a bit pointless right now whilst battery savings would be more useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.