Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
So I decided it was time to add a PS3 to my collection (an original PS2 backwards compatible one that will let me use a Dual Shock 4 to play PS2 games).

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to start with the Naughty Dog games which are all available digitally on PS3 (not so much on PS4 or Vita).

So I'm going to be getting the Crash Trilogy (PS1 classics), Jak and Daxter HD Collection, Uncharted Trilogy and then will be getting the PS4 version of Last of Us.

Outside of that initial batch of games what are the must have PS3 games; if it's on PS4 as a remake I'll be getting that version like Tomb Raider or GTA 5.

Thoughts - what are the games to get? Digital is preferred if they offer them that way - not sure how widespread digital retail games are on PS3.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Journey is an absolute must have!

I've heard great things - evidently it'll be playable on PS4 this year at Gamescom (I think that's the name) - hoping it hits PS4 this year; curious if that is worth waiting for since it seems pretty close

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Mass Effect Trilogy

The first one can be a little tedious, but the overall journey is so worth it!

Also, Dead Space, Bioshock, Fat Cry 3.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Mass Effect Trilogy

The first one can be a little tedious, but the overall journey is so worth it!

Also, Dead Space, Bioshock, Fat Cry 3.

Thanks! I'll add them to my GameFly queue - never played a Far Cry game before. Dead Space I think I own already thanks to this month's PS Plus freebies

Renzatic

Suspended
Oh geez...

The Uncharted Trilogy (You already mentioned it, but I'll back it up)

The Mass Effect Trilogy (Just finished the entire trilogy last night. Took me 2 months to beat).

Journey (More an interactive AV experience than a game. Still worth it, though)

The Demon's/Dark Souls series (Among my favoritest ever)

Okami HD (Great good fun)

Persona 3 and 4 (Technically PS2 games, but you can grab them off the Playstation Store for the PS3)

Megaman 9 (Great good 8-bit NES fun)

...and tons more. These are my top recommendations, though. I'd suggest starting with these.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Just counting PS3 (or at least Playstation in general) exclusive games:

The Last of Us
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD
Little Big Planet
Journey
Flower
Ni no Kuni
WipeOut HD
Stardust HD

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Thats a lot of games. I hope you don't have adhd like me. I very rarely beat games unless i set my mind to it.

I suggest if you haven't played them picking up kingdom hearts 1.5 and 2.5 when its out. 3 will be out sometime in the future. Other than that I own a ps3 but rarely touch it. So I won't be much help.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
I'd definitely recommend the following...

God of War Saga, which includes...
-God of War HD
-God of War II HD
-God of War III
-God of War: Chains of Olympus
-God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, which includes...
FFX HD
FFX-2 HD

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMIX, which includes...
-Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD
-Re: Chain of Memories HD
-358/2 Days HD (cutscenes only)

Could get yourself several games for around $75 through those three HD bundles. Welcome to the breath of fresh air that is staying a generation behind. I got a PS3 a little over a year ago and I was able to get several games and bundles for cheap since the console is so "old."

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Thanks! I'll add them to my GameFly queue - never played a Far Cry game before. Dead Space I think I own already thanks to this month's PS Plus freebies

Regarding Dead Space: Do yourself a favor and play Dead Space 1. Only Dead Space 1. Pretend they never made any sequels. ;)

(The Plus freebie is Dead Space 3, if I'm not mistaken...)

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Regarding Dead Space: Do yourself a favor and play Dead Space 1. Only Dead Space 1. Pretend they never made any sequels. ;)

(The Plus freebie is Dead Space 3, if I'm not mistaken...)

Ah okay thanks for the warning

----------

I'd definitely recommend the following...

God of War Saga, which includes...
-God of War HD
-God of War II HD
-God of War III
-God of War: Chains of Olympus
-God of War: Ghost of Sparta

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, which includes...
FFX HD
FFX-2 HD

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMIX, which includes...
-Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD
-Re: Chain of Memories HD
-358/2 Days HD (cutscenes only)

Could get yourself several games for around $75 through those three HD bundles. Welcome to the breath of fresh air that is staying a generation behind. I got a PS3 a little over a year ago and I was able to get several games and bundles for cheap since the console is so "old."

Thanks! - So many games!!! GameFly is going to come in handy - shouldn't be a problem with this older titles

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
not a very popular game but Heavy Rain. It's so unique

I agree and I enjoyed it very much.

Yes, Gamefly is going to be your best friend and should have no problem getting the order you want with so many older games.

Great service.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Another vote for Bioshock Infinite, Heavy Rain and Far Cry 3.

I also quite liked Heavenly Sword if you can find a cheap copy. Not the best game mechanics but it was more enjoyable than some reviews suggested.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My faves. I'll try to stick to exclusives but let's see!

R-Type Dimensions
Street Fighter 4 AE, SF3 Online
3D Dot Heroes
Ni No Kuni
Gran Turismo 5 - with a racing wheel+3D glasses it's brilliant
Dark Souls
Metal Gear Solid HD collection+4
Ico+Shadow of the Colossus HD
When Vikings Attack
Zen Pinball 2 - bought tables work on PS4 and Vita too
Rayman Origins
Journey
Under Defeat HD
Super Stardust HD
Outland

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
This growing list of games is going to be really handy - will be picking up a second DualShock 4 just to use with my PS3 coming in later today!

I hope that outside of rumble that the DS4 does the job, I really don't want to have to use a DS3 :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This growing list of games is going to be really handy - will be picking up a second DualShock 4 just to use with my PS3 coming in later today!

I hope that outside of rumble that the DS4 does the job, I really don't want to have to use a DS3 :)

If a game needs to use the motion sensors it won't work at all. GTA doesn't do, just because there's an option to use gestures to ride vehicles+reload guns! Quite a few games don't support it. I'm really hoping for a patch to enable a DS4 to work flawlessly with the PS3, motion controls and all, because it really is a comfy controller!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
If a game needs to use the motion sensors it won't work at all. GTA doesn't do, just because there's an option to use gestures to ride vehicles+reload guns! Quite a few games don't support it. I'm really hoping for a patch to enable a DS4 to work flawlessly with the PS3, motion controls and all, because it really is a comfy controller!

Yea I heard they did one patch already that improved support, hoping they will make it 100 percent compatible in the future - rumble and all - how hard can that really be :)

I am pretty excited as odd as it sounds to try backwards compatibility mode on the PS3 and see what it feels like to play PS2 games on a Dual Shock 4!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
AAAAAHHHH - I AM SO FURIOUS AT THIS EBAY SELLER - HOW DID HE THINK THIS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA ... Have already opened an eBay case - this is just ridiculous - what a waste of time and passing up some other better auctions

For clarification - I have yet to open the box - that is how I got it!!!!!

Attachments

• idiot.JPG
    idiot.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 151

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Holy crap that is terrible and would dispute it.

Yea there is a rattling inside, the top is scratched all to hell and I'd imagine the hard drive is toast. Won't know until tonight if it even works.

Have already requested an official refund from eBay and want to return it regardless - part of the reason I bought the fat was how awesome visually it looks, also PS2 support is fantastic.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
My favorite PS3 exclusives:

Journey
Heavy Rain
Demons' Souls
The Last of Us
Beyond Two Souls

There are a ton mutliplatform titles too, but I'm just going to assume PS3 exclusives are what you were looking for lol

Renzatic

Suspended
Yea there is a rattling inside, the top is scratched all to hell and I'd imagine the hard drive is toast. Won't know until tonight if it even works.

Have already requested an official refund from eBay and want to return it regardless - part of the reason I bought the fat was how awesome visually it looks, also PS2 support is fantastic.

Ahh, the fat PS3. One thing you need to keep in mind is that only the old 60GB PS3 is directly compatible with PS2 games, and they're hard to come by these days. And the scratches on the top? I've got a fat, and I can't even look at the thing without it getting another dozen scratches.

I wanna say take it back, but considering what you've got, you might not be able to replace it. If it works, but it's ugly...I'd keep it.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
If you're into RPGs, I'd suggest Valkyria Chronicles. Alternate-reality WWII with Anime characters... which is actually a LOT more interesting than it sounds. A pretty great JRPG with genuinely deep characters, an interesting setting, and some unique and challenging gameplay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.