Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I was thinking about this while debating on hitting Comic-Con to say thank you to LeVar Burton for his work on the Reading Rainbow kickstarter project (I contributed; wasn't going to pass that up! sorry.. digressed)..

Say they continue down that route and make a new Thor movie. With this revelation and accents aside, who do you think should play Thor? I don't know if you really want a Brunhilda-type, but you also don't want someone very petite either..

Someone like Jeri Ryan, perhaps?

BL.

I'd go with Gwendoline Christie, and since she's already working for Disney in Star Wars Ep VII so it wouldn't be hard to move her sideways in the company.

I fancast Jeri Ryan to play Agent Abigail Brand, if they ever introduce SWORD.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I see it as Thor being the offfice, not the person. Same as having a black or female President.

(BTW, many countries except the USA have had a female premier - we had our own Maggie Thatcher, Regan's hearthrob, and in Argentina's recent presidential elections, both the right wing and left wing candidates were female. BBC article on female premiers in that hotbed of machismo, Latin America: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11447598 )

Back on topic, I see no reason not to have a female Dr Who, or female Bond at some point.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I see it as Thor being the offfice, not the person. Same as having a black or female President.

(BTW, many countries except the USA have had a female premier - we had our own Maggie Thatcher, Regan's hearthrob, and in Argentina's recent presidential elections, both the right wing and left wing candidates were female. BBC article on female premiers in that hotbed of machismo, Latin America: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11447598 )

Back on topic, I see no reason not to have a female Dr Who, or female Bond at some point.

Sadly we'll never see a woman Doctor as long as Moffat has his hands on the property.

With that said, I'd give anything to see Natalie Dormer as Jaime Bond.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway

I can see the reasoning behind it. Just a bit confusing if you're from a place where it (or at least its variants) is a normal and, excusively, male name.

Imagine if Thor was named Steven or Tony instead, and now some woman took the name for herself. A bit strange, maybe?

I guess the problem is that Thor don't really have any commonly recognized titles/aliases that could be used instead, unlike a lot of other superheroes.

Would like to see some more good female superheroes though, so they better make her worthy of the "title".

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Sadly we'll never see a woman Doctor as long as Moffat has his hands on the property.

With that said, I'd give anything to see Natalie Dormer as Jaime Bond.

Don't tell me you buy into this Moffat's Who was hugely sexist (and RTD's was not at all) and ignore Moffat himself has hinted at a woman Doctor? (I have my own kind of mixed views on that but that is a whole other debate).

What's wrong with just creating new, awesome FEMALE characters rather than just converting old ones that were male? Isn't this just another variation on the sad lack of imagination of the entertainment industry nowadays with going with "reboots" - and yes I know there are some good counter-examples - BSG (with a female Starbuck!) being one of the best - I'm just wishing for originality!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The one thing I worry about with making the character female is that she'll end up being drawn in awkward, fanservicey poses.

You mean like this:

Attachments

• 310585167_emma_frost4-47405374886_xlarge.jpeg
    310585167_emma_frost4-47405374886_xlarge.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 781
  • comic-sexy-300x300.jpg
    comic-sexy-300x300.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 496

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Don't tell me you buy into this Moffat's Who was hugely sexist (and RTD's was not at all) and ignore Moffat himself has hinted at a woman Doctor? (I have my own kind of mixed views on that but that is a whole other debate).

What's wrong with just creating new, awesome FEMALE characters rather than just converting old ones that were male? Isn't this just another variation on the sad lack of imagination of the entertainment industry nowadays with going with "reboots" - and yes I know there are some good counter-examples - BSG (with a female Starbuck!) being one of the best - I'm just wishing for originality!

Moffat has straight up said "don't hold your breath for a female Doctor".

Personally tho, I think River deserves her own show.

There are new and original female characters, but Marvel has recently started realizing that there's a need for Legacy characters. Granted, Cap's been what 7-8 people, there's been at least 4 wielders of Mjølnir (one of which was Jane Foster). Having Sam being the new Cap, the new Thor, Kamala Khan as the new Ms Marvel, Carol being Captain Marvel, Annabelle Riggs being the new host for Valkyrie (think Donald Blake). It's all about creating legacies, similar to the Batfamily, The Flash, etc.

No one says "Oh where's the originality" when Dan Ketch became the new Ghost Rider, or when Sam Alexander replaced Rick Rider as Nova. It's only when Miles Morales became the new Ultimate Spider-man, Renee Montoya became the Question, etc. The whole "should be an original character!!" pops up when traditionally white male heroes are replaced by a minority/LGBTQIA/woman.

In the last couple years (and including the Cap/Thor thing) we've also gotten; Kamala Khan (Ms Marvel)
Cindy Moon (Silk)
Angela (tho, technically, that's Gaiman just bringing his character from Image to Marvel)
Adam Brashear (Blue Marvel)
Aya Ayala (technically she's a legacy too, White Tiger)
Victor Hernan Alvarez (Power Man, legacy)
Benjamin Deeds (Morph)
Andrea Brenton (Mania, another of Venom's spawn)

All these characters are minorities, LGBTQIA, women (or in cases combinations of 2 or more).

And while Marvel's getting better at representation, they turn around and do problematic **** like making Mystique straight (and Nightcrawler's origin) after decades of Raven's relationship history with Irene Adler (Destiny).

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yawn. Just another Marvel stunt place holder until Thor 3 comes out. While Thor is no longer worthy to wield Mjolnir, he will again eventually.

The good part: Thor has a beard again. :D

At any rate, lest I sound like Aaron's King Thor (who is more fun in concept than execution), I'm done.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It would hardly be the first time that a new character takes up the mantle of an existing superhero, title et al.

Thor is not a title. Frigga didn't give birth to some abstract idea to be passed around.

Why wasn't Beta Ray Bill called Thor then when he first picked up Mjolnir?

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Thor is not a title. Frigga didn't give birth to some abstract idea to be passed around.

Why wasn't Beta Ray Bill called Thor then when he first picked up Mjolnir?

Because Beta Ray Bill didn't pick up Mjolnir.

He had a different hammer altogether. Both existed during Secret Wars II, and had separate hammers at that time.

BL.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH

He had a different hammer altogether. Both existed during Secret Wars II, and had separate hammers at that time.

BL.

Tho he has a point. Jane Foster wasn't "Thor" when she briefly wielded Mjølnir, and neither was Natasha in the recent Age of Ultron thing.

I can't remember if Eric Masterson ever actually used Mjølnir.

I think the publicity is just more that the new Wielder (since the name Torunn is taken by Thor's daughter, Torunn Torsdottur... that's a mouthful) isn't a derivative of Thor (like She-Hulk, Supergirl, etc) and is her own hero.

I kinda wish Valkyrie would get a new title again, because I loved Fearless Defenders.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Tho he has a point. Jane Foster wasn't "Thor" when she briefly wielded Mjølnir, and neither was Natasha in the recent Age of Ultron thing.

I can't remember if Eric Masterson ever actually used Mjølnir.

I think the publicity is just more that the new Wielder (since the name Torunn is taken by Thor's daughter, Torunn Torsdottur... that's a mouthful) isn't a derivative of Thor (like She-Hulk, Supergirl, etc) and is her own hero.

I kinda wish Valkyrie would get a new title again, because I loved Fearless Defenders.

I'm guessing the difference is that those two BRIEFLY wielded the hammer and not permanently.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

BL.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Thor and Beta Ray Bill fought. Thor lost because Beta Ray Bill was able to lift Mjolnir and defeat Thor. (Thor also reverted to Dr. Blake form)

Because Bill's world was destroyed by Surtur and he was worthy, Odin gave him Stormbreaker.

This was during Walt Simonson's Thor Unleashed Story line. I own the comic. It's one of my favorites.

Odin didn't just Welcome Beta Ray Bill into Asgard as "the new Thor".

Does this look like Stomrbreaker to you?

Beta_Ray_Bill.jpg

betathor.jpg

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
You don't know what you are talking about.

Thor and Beta Ray Bill fought. Thor lost because Beta Ray Bill was able to lift Mjolnir and defeat Thor. (Thor also reverted to Dr. Blake form)

Because Bill's world was destroyed by Surtur and he was worthy, Odin gave him Stormbreaker.

This was during Walt Simonson's Thor Unleashed Story line. I own the comic. It's one of my favorites.

Odin didn't just Welcome Beta Ray Bill into Asgard as "the new Thor".

No. You don't know what you are talking about.

I have the entire Secret Wars 2 series and the continuations of them sitting behind me. Power Pack #18 is the continuation of the Secret Wars series, which is also continued in Thor #363. Look who you have on the cover:

Power+Pack+%2318+and+The+Mighty+Thor+%23363.jpg

Beta Ray Bill did not wield Mjolnir, as Thor still had it when Kurse attacked both Bill and Thor.

Furthermore, Power Pack #18 has Beta Ray Bill on the cover, which you can clearly see that the hammer he is wielding is NOT Mjolnir:

23787-3358-26508-1-power-pack.jpg

Again, Beta Ray Bill was not Thor.

BL.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
No. You don't know what you are talking about.

I have the entire Secret Wars 2 series and the continuations of them sitting behind me. Power Pack #18 is the continuation of the Secret Wars series, which is also continued in Thor #363. Look who you have on the cover:

Beta Ray Bill did not wield Mjolnir, as Thor still had it when Kurse attacked both Bill and Thor.

Furthermore, Power Pack #18 has Beta Ray Bill on the cover, which you can clearly see that the hammer he is wielding is NOT Mjolnir:

Again, Beta Ray Bill was not Thor.

BL.

This is about as far as I intend to entertain the ill-informed.

1. Read Thor 337
Thor Vol 1 #337
November, 1983

If that is too hard to locate...

2. Watch on Netflix:
The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes: Season 2, Episode 8
The Ballad of Beta Ray Bill

That episode recreates the events of Thor 337 sorta...

And FYI, Secret Wars II, which I also own in addition to all the issues featuring Kurse, the publication date was July 1985 - March 1986, two years after the first appearance of Beta Ray Bill.

Issue 337 is long before issue 363.

I'll make this even easier...but only because Beta Ray Bill is one of my favorite Marvel Characters of all time.

patterns1-5-1d.jpg

Last edited:

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
When I was going up, girls were not into Star Wars / Star Trek / and Super Heroes. It will be interesting if in another 20 or 30 years, girls will be playing that and boys will be doing whatever girls were doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.