Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Ok guys so I have read a bunch of threads on here and I haven't seen this situation come up, so heres the deal.

I bought a rMBP 15" 8GB 256GB 2GHZ with the Intel Iris last week, got a decent deal opened box from Best Buy. Paid $1599 + tax.

So as I see it my options are.

1. Keep this one. Net cost $0

2. Upgrade to 2013 (open box) model with 16GB RAM 512GB HD 2.3GHz CPU and nVidia graphics. Net cost $722 plus tax. Just saw the same one online opened box for $2208.99 so net cost would be $609 plus tax.

3. Upgrade to 2014 (new) model with 16GB RAM 512GB HD 2.5GHZ CPU and nVidia graphics. Net cost $900

4. Upgrade to 2014 (new) model with 16GB RAM 256GB HD 2.2GHz CPU and Intel Iris graphics. Net cost $400

I really want to upgrade to the 16GB of RAM, the HD size doesn't matter as much to me. I know that I would never see a difference between the CPU speed for what I do. But I do like to game a little, and play high quality videos so the nVidia GPU does sound better.

Unless you guys can convince me different I am planning on option number 2. Let me know what you think, and what you would do.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
If you feel like spending $600-700, go for it. Personally I'd stick with what you've got and spend the money on something else.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you're happy with the current model keep it.

Why do you think you need 16GB of ram?

If you're hung up on that issue, then yeah your only choice is to return what you have and either get the other open box model or a brand new one - depending on how much you want to spend.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Seems like you made up your mind already.
You havent told what you do with your machine.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
If you feel like spending $600-700, go for it. Personally I'd stick with what you've got and spend the money on something else.

I'd agree with this. Unless you are having performance issues with 8GB of ram. just stick with the deal you got and save that money.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Option 2. It is your money and time. No need to convince you since you seem pretty convinced and set on flushing your cash.

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Option 2. It is your money and time. No need to convince you since you seem pretty convinced and set on flushing your cash.

The money really isn't an issue. I don't mind spending more now, if that means that it will be something that I will be able to use for longer down the road. If the memory was still upgradeable in these things we wouldn't even be having this discussion. After all the researching I did last night I don't think the nVidia really matters that much. But I am still stuck on the 16GB of RAM.

So the new question, as a casual user that wants to get into development sometime in the near future, do I NEED 16gb of RAM? I am never going to be doing PRO video editing or music or anything like that......keeping the one I have is starting to look better and better.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The money really isn't an issue. I don't mind spending more now, if that means that it will be something that I will be able to use for longer down the road. If the memory was still upgradeable in these things we wouldn't even be having this discussion. After all the researching I did last night I don't think the nVidia really matters that much. But I am still stuck on the 16GB of RAM.
So the new question, as a casual user that wants to get into development sometime in the near future, do I NEED 16gb of RAM? I am never going to be doing PRO video editing or music or anything like that......keeping the one I have is starting to look better and better.
Of course you do not need 16gb ram.

Why do you think the nvidia doesnt matter?

If money is not an issue why even post here?

If $$$ is unlimited go crazy and max everything out for the hell of it. :cool:

Just dont expect the machine to last longer or run faster because it probably wont.

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Of course you do not need 16gb ram.

Why do you think the nvidia doesnt matter?

If money is not an issue why even post here?

If $$$ is unlimited go crazy and max everything out for the hell of it. :cool:

Just dont expect the machine to last longer or run faster because it probably wont.

From what I read the nVidia doesn't seem to give that much of a boost to the things that I do.

The difference between $1599 and $2499 doesn't matter much to me, but the value I get for my money does. Example: I only buy Levis jeans, they are $60 a pair. I could buy some Walmart brand for $15, but the Levis will last me at least 5 years, where I would have to replace the walmart brand at least once a year. So the five year cost of cheap jeans is $75 vs $60 for a pair of Levis. Basically I just want the best bang for my buck.

And there is no need to max everything out, because I don't need it. Same reason you don't shoot a mosquito with a bazooka.

But in all seriousness, I just bought this one.
xe4aog.png

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
And there is no need to max everything out, because I don't need it. Same reason you don't shoot a mosquito with a bazooka.
You didnt say what you need.
You also didnt write whats wrong with the rmbp you have atm.

That the nvidia "sounds better" for playing HQ video doesnt make the least bit of sense.
Any phone / ipad and of course macbook can do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.