Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k2snow

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Good day.

After shopping and buying nearly $1000 worth of headphones for the holidays, I cannot help but find myself thinking... "Apple has really missed the boat on the headphone market..."

You got BEATS, Bose, Monster, Bower&Wilkins, SOUL, and sooooo many more making a killing in this market. All the while Apple debuts... earpods?

Does anyone else think that Apple has missed the boat on this latest personal music boom?

I loved my Beats. Bulky and a little too loud for those in your surroundings, the Studio Beats are really nice.

I really loved my Bower and Wilkins P5 as well and will probably keep them handy.

I think Apple already has a captive market for these and needs to act quick.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm not so sure that it is a case of Apple 'missing the boat' on headphones as much as Apple failing to realise that there may well be a market for well made, attractively designed headphones which deliver an excellent sound experience.

Of course, it could well be a strategic decision, a decision not to clutter up their product range with what they might consider to be extraneous products.

In any case, I have spent several years looking for decent headphones: By 'decent', I mean a pair that is not massive in size, is good looking, is solidly designed, and comfortable, as well as (the whole point of headphones, needless to say) a pair that offers excellent sound quality.

Eventually, this year, I alighted on the B&W P3s and the B&W P5s, both of which I have found to be excellent, comfortable and stylish headphones.

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
I've wondered why Apple havent decided to branch into headphones as the market is largely taken up by youngsters 'hipster' brands that rely a lot on aesthetics rather than performance. And Apple excel at stylish and modernistic design. (Of course thats not to say they cant perform too).

I had the P5s and sold them as I preferred my Sen HD595s. The P5s are overpriced and i was glad to be rid of them as the frequency range was way too flat and uninvolving. They tended to hurt my ears after half an hours use too.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
I quite like my earpods. I don't understand all the hate towards them. Have you actually tried them? They're probably one of the most comfortable in-ear headphones I've ever used. Sure, the sound quality could be better, but for the price, you can't expect $100+ sound quality out of some plastic headphones that cost $29. Apple's old earphones were junk. And so were those $80 in-ear dual driver headphones too. But the earpods are actually something decent.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm going on another pair of EarPods, this will be my 4th pair. They all end up the same way, the sound muffled/gets very low. They sound great and feel great, but they get destroyed too easily.

I prefer my Sennheiser headphones, but they look ridiculous on an iPod Nano.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Apple is been telling you, "We concentrate on a few products, and do them well."

Everybody thinks they got a Slick-50 that can make their car run better than the people who designed it.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
I don't think Apple wants to enter such an embarrassing facet of the market. All these fashionable full-sized portable headphones, you see people wearing around their neck 9 times out of 10 and actually on their ears 1/10. Whenever they do have them on their ears, there's no music playing.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Apple EarPod Killer

Save your money and fussing about Apple/Senn EarPods.
After spending a bundle on various makes, I found these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EM8008/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$7.70 and superb, tiny in ear sound with great reliability.
If you're concerned about reliability, a 4 pack will cost you $25.
Rugged and include 3 sizes of ear plugs.
After a year, still going strong.
Sound as good as Sony MDR V series for 1/10th the price.
;)

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
If you want good headphones, avoid Beats like a plague. You can't go wrong with Klipsch, mid-higher end Sennheisers, or my personal favorite (very $$$) AKG.

For earbuds, I love my Klipsch X10s.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Good day.

After shopping and buying nearly $1000 worth of headphones for the holidays, I cannot help but find myself thinking... "Apple has really missed the boat on the headphone market..."

You got BEATS, Bose, Monster, Bower&Wilkins, SOUL, and sooooo many more making a killing in this market. All the while Apple debuts... earpods?

Does anyone else think that Apple has missed the boat on this latest personal music boom?

I loved my Beats. Bulky and a little too loud for those in your surroundings, the Studio Beats are really nice.

I really loved my Bower and Wilkins P5 as well and will probably keep them handy.

I think Apple already has a captive market for these and needs to act quick.

Closed headphones are overrated. The only headphones I have heard so far that beat IEM's are open headphones (non-portable headphones on expensive DAC & AMP's).

In my opinion, IEM's are the future for portable audio. If Apple fixes the comfort and isolation issues, Apple is going in the right direction. I don't see why Apple went for EarPods over IEM's.

This is my opinion ofcourse.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Closed headphones are overrated. The only headphones I have heard so far that beat IEM's are open headphones (non-portable headphones on expensive DAC & AMP's).

In my opinion, IEM's are the future for portable audio. If Apple fixes the comfort and isolation issues, Apple is going in the right direction. I don't see why Apple went for EarPods over IEM's.

This is my opinion ofcourse.

Yes, but the problem here is that for some people, firstly in-ear headphones are not terribly comfortable, - in fact, some are downright uncomfortable - and secondly, many of them do not deliver a good quality of audio output, especially the less expensive ones.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Yes, but the problem here is that for some people, firstly in-ear headphones are not terribly comfortable, - in fact, some are downright uncomfortable - and secondly, many of them do not deliver a good quality of audio output, especially the less expensive ones.

IEM's like the Shure SE535 are more comfortable for me than headphones like the B&W P7 and Sennheiser Momentus while providing better sound quality also.

As a reference, the Sennheiser HD800 sounds clear, fast and accurate just like my IEM's which is what I am missing in closed headphones such as the B&W P7 and Sennhesier Momentus.

Last edited:

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
AKG earbuds are crap. EarPods are ear-buds. Good earbuds are hard to find.
X10s are in-ears

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/Reviewss/Earbuds_vs_In-Ears.jpg

I always called in-ear as earbuds and everything else as just headphones. :D

Anyway, the x10s are awesome and some of the best headphones on the planet are AKG 702, 712. With AKG, I know nothing about their ear buds, but I was referring to their "cans."

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio...F8&qid=1406734216&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+712+pro

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I always called in-ear as earbuds and everything else as just headphones. :D

Anyway, the x10s are awesome and some of the best headphones on the planet are AKG 702, 712. With AKG, I know nothing about their ear buds, but I was referring to their "cans."

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio...F8&qid=1406734216&sr=8-1&keywords=akg+712+pro
Ah!
In-ears, earbuds, on-ears, over-ears. >> roughly.

I own K702, K272HD, K450 - love them all, my SO owns k701. Big fan. But I bought AKG K318 and while they sounded decent, they were the most uncomfortable earbuds I ever used.

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Ah!
In-ears, earbuds, on-ears, over-ears. >> roughly.

I own K702, K272HD, K450 - love them all, my SO owns k701. Big fan. But I bought AKG K318 and while they sounded decent, they were the most uncomfortable earbuds I ever used.

Which one is SO? I'm always looking to try new toys!

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I don't think Apple missed anything. The market is saturated with manufacturers. Leave Apple doing the things it's good at.

Since they now own Beats and Beats sells the largest percentage of premium priced headphones, they went into the business at the top of the market.

Personally, I own several premium headphones and I don't own Beats, so this isn't an endorsement of SQ.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
All I know is that to use the Apple headphones I have to keep going to radioshack to get the little black cushions because otherwise they keep falling from my ears.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.