Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cranksial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
Dear members,

This sounds a noob question, but it hasn't been solved for a couple of days by digging on the net myself. I have tried the method recommended by in old threads, but still not fixed yet.The method I tried on my iPhone 4S:

Settings->General->Reset-> Erase All Content and Settings

However, nothing happended in half an hour, only a black screen keeps flashing. I have done this several times without any luck. I need to erase my personal data before selling it out.

Has anyone got a solid solution on this? I'd much appreciated for you input.

Crank

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Dear members,

This sounds a noob question, but it hasn't been solved for a couple of days by digging on the net myself. I have tried the method recommended by in old threads, but still not fixed yet.The method I tried on my iPhone 4S:

Settings->General->Reset-> Erase All Content and Settings

However, nothing happended in half an hour, only a black screen keeps flashing. I have done this several times without any luck. I need to erase my personal data before selling it out.

Has anyone got a solid solution on this? I'd much appreciated for you input.

Crank

Are you jailbroken? If so, Erase all Content and Settings does not work and screws up your jailbreak. You'll need to either use the iLEX RAT tool, or do a full restore in iTunes.

If not, not sure what the issue is, but sounds like you'll need to restore through iTunes.

Cranksial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
Are you jailbroken?

Not jailbroken before. Follow the instructions by Apple doc but problem still exists.

Edit: finally got the issue fixed by using an desktop erasing app: here is how it goes with step by step: How to pemenently delete everything on iPhone.

What I loves about it is that I don't need to spend another a few hours to figure out with iTunes, which is hard to use on Windows.

Last edited:

Ichkamo

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2013
World Wide Web
Use Find my iPhone, if you don't have it yet download it and enable it in iCloud. Select erase iphone. It will crush all of your data. If you don't have any other iDevices to do so you can do it from here : http://www.icloud.com using your apple ID.
Hope I helped :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.