Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wanna say take it back, but considering what you've got, you might not be able to replace it. If it works, but it's ugly...I'd keep it.

Yeah, and a case might be easy to replace too. OP you can also replace the HDD on a PS3 very easily, so that 60gb can easily be a 500gb one with a newer/more reliable drive.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Ahh, the fat PS3. One thing you need to keep in mind is that only the old 60GB PS3 is directly compatible with PS2 games, and they're hard to come by these days. And the scratches on the top? I've got a fat, and I can't even look at the thing without it getting another dozen scratches.

I wanna say take it back, but considering what you've got, you might not be able to replace it. If it works, but it's ugly...I'd keep it.

Yes I sadly learned the backwards compatibility tidbit after I bought it - I thought ALL fats were BC - evidently only 4 USB port ones are - what in the world was Sony thinking - so yea - the PS3 damaged in shipping has a clicky fan, something rattling inside when moved, lots of scratches, the top that slides when moved - overall I kinda wish I paid the extra 40 dollars and just went to Walmart to buy a 12GB super slim.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
From a reliability standpoint I've been researching and the non-BC fats are coming up as more reliable because of the shrunken die and cooler operating temperature - given the fan is fixed up it may be worth not caring any more about the BC model - I just got a brand new PS2 Slim on Amazon last year, so I can just use that and forget the dream of using a DualShock 4 to play PS2 games

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
From a reliability standpoint I've been researching and the non-BC fats are coming up as more reliable because of the shrunken die and cooler operating temperature - given the fan is fixed up it may be worth not caring any more about the BC model - I just got a brand new PS2 Slim on Amazon last year, so I can just use that and forget the dream of using a DualShock 4 to play PS2 games

My friends all had the 60GB backwards compatible PS3 and they all broke. I've had the 40GB non backwards compatible one and it's still alive today almost 7 years later, even after several thousands of hours gaming and more on blurays/netflix.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
The Fat Boy PS3 is very unreliable.

The fan gets going like a jet plane and the reliability is nowhere near the slim versions.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
My friends all had the 60GB backwards compatible PS3 and they all broke. I've had the 40GB non backwards compatible one and it's still alive today almost 7 years later, even after several thousands of hours gaming and more on blurays/netflix.

Extremely helpful thanks - feeling better about my "mistake" - I'm going to try to get some kind of partial refund to pay for the fan replacement, otherwise the scuffs and scratches are surprisingly well hidden in medium to low light with that beautiful shine of the finish, in high light it is obnoxious, and the rattling I can handle as its probably not a huge deal in the end with it being stationary.

(Still upset about how it was packed up and that I didn't get what was described because of his poor packing job.)

The BluRay drive/laser was recently replaced according to the listing. The console won't get heavy use - my Wii U, XBO and PS4 will get that - I'll be using it to mainly play PS Plus games, GameFly rentals and some of the must plays from the last generation.

The design of the fat is so beautiful and it really is just a nice visual thing to have on the table to look at.

I will say the download times are atrocious - I think it may very well take 2 to 3 days to download my free copy of Dead Space 3 - 10 GB download.

----------

The Fat Boy PS3 is very unreliable.

The fan gets going like a jet plane and the reliability is nowhere near the slim versions.

Yea I'll be curious how the fans get when I pop in a a real PS3 game instead of playing Crash Bandicoot :)

Renzatic

Suspended
so yea - the PS3 damaged in shipping has a clicky fan, something rattling inside when moved, lots of scratches, the top that slides when moved - overall I kinda wish I paid the extra 40 dollars and just went to Walmart to buy a 12GB super slim.

As long as the motherboard isn't broken, anything in the PS3 can be repaired pretty easily. It'll cost you a bit, but if you really want to play some of the more obscure PS2 games, it might end up being worth it.

Though keep in mind that you can buy tons of emulated PS2 games off the Playstation Store now that work perfectly on any model. Unless you have a huge library of games you want to play again later, it might be better to send back your janked up fat PS3, spend the extra $40 for a brand new slim, and play the available downloadables.

...like those game collections mentioned above? You can get them for any PS3. I've got the entire Metal Gear Solid PS1 and PS2 collection on my late model noncompatible fat.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I always wondered...is this really a good game worth buying? Or should I just replay A Link to the Past on my SNES instead? How similar is it?

Very, but in a good way. It's more like the original Zelda really, there's less heart and soul than Link to the Past. It's really fun! I keep hoping they port it to Vita or bring us a sequel.

The music is phenomenal. I cannot stress how good it is. Surpasses even Zelda. One of my fave game songs ever this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imZ3S6oqfwk

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Everyone bangs on about the Last of Us as though its the second coming of Jesus or Steve Jobs or something. I personally thought the plot was very weak and predictable, but most people seemed to love it so I guess you could give that a try.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Everyone bangs on about the Last of Us as though its the second coming of Jesus or Steve Jobs or something. I personally thought the plot was very weak and predictable, but most people seemed to love it so I guess you could give that a try.

If you bad bothered to even read the first post, you would know that the OP is already planning to get The Last Of Us on PS4.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
So I decided it was time to add a PS3 to my collection (an original PS2 backwards compatible one that will let me use a Dual Shock 4 to play PS2 games).

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to start with the Naughty Dog games which are all available digitally on PS3 (not so much on PS4 or Vita).

So I'm going to be getting the Crash Trilogy (PS1 classics), Jak and Daxter HD Collection, Uncharted Trilogy and then will be getting the PS4 version of Last of Us.

Outside of that initial batch of games what are the must have PS3 games; if it's on PS4 as a remake I'll be getting that version like Tomb Raider or GTA 5.

Thoughts - what are the games to get? Digital is preferred if they offer them that way - not sure how widespread digital retail games are on PS3.

Little Big Planet 2, Uncharted 2 and 3, Mirror's Edge...

Crash 1 isn't amazing, but 3 really holds up well. Driver 1, MGS 1, Monsters Inc are all must have PS One downloads.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Very, but in a good way. It's more like the original Zelda really, there's less heart and soul than Link to the Past. It's really fun! I keep hoping they port it to Vita or bring us a sequel.

The music is phenomenal. I cannot stress how good it is. Surpasses even Zelda. One of my fave game songs ever this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imZ3S6oqfwk

Alright, I ordered a copy. Not as cheap as I thought it would be...apparently it's out of print and is somewhat hard to find these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.