Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NC Chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
NC
I'm a little late to the party, but here goes: I ordered my MBA 13 in April, and received it mid-month. I saw the price decrease shortly thereafter, and recently called Apple to see if I could get a refund of the difference. They were very nice, and told me that if I had called within the 14 day return period, I could have gotten it. It may be the case that the price increase happened 13 days after I received the computer, giving me 1 day to make the call (if I happened to become aware of the increase on that day). They did give me a coupon, but I have to spend at least $100 to take advantage of it, which isn't going to happen anytime soon. I love the computer, but my bad timing is disappointing. Has anyone else with a similar situation managed to get a refund?

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
You should stop right there. It's a great computer. Prices go down all the time.

Agreed.

Unfortunately due to the nature of business and technology, prices, availability and features are constantly changing. Just get what you need when you need it and try to be happy:)

NC Chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
NC
I've really enjoyed my Apple products! I wish I could avoid Windows completely, but need to use it at work. At least I'm constantly reminded of why I chose Apple for home. :cool:

I'm not holding out hope for a refund, but thought it prudent to at least ask.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I've really enjoyed my Apple products! I wish I could avoid Windows completely, but need to use it at work. At least I'm constantly reminded of why I chose Apple for home. :cool:

I'm not holding out hope for a refund, but thought it prudent to at least ask.

Windows is going to be around for a long time and that is what I like about my MBA. Via BootCamp I can have the best of both worlds. Windows still rules in the business world.

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
You made the decision to by the product before the price drop and presumably not with a price drop in mind when you made your decision, so really although the price did go down after you bought it, that is just unfortunate on your part.

The fact that Apple offered a coupon is probably something that other companies wouldn't do, despite it requiring you to spend a specific amount of money.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
1) Sure, it would have been nice for Apple to send a check for the difference, but they did not. They sent you a voucher worth the price differential. The caveat that you need to spend $100 in order to use it seems a bit like noise to me. It'd be quite easy to spend $100 in an Apple store. And has been stated above, other vendors may have told you no.

2)

beat_a_dead_horse.gif

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Why is "beat a dead horse" a saying? I could imagine "beating a dead violent, threatening animal" but why a horse?

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Why is "beat a dead horse" a saying? I could imagine "beating a dead violent, threatening animal" but why a horse?

'flog/beat a dead horse' is a reference to something that is entirely pointless and cannot result in any productive end.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beating_a_dead_horse

or this
http://www.knowyourphrase.com/phrase-meanings/Beating-a-Dead-Horse.html

NC Chris, you're unlikely getting a refund, especially now. I believe you will continue to enjoy the computer all the same. Technological advances and price changes happen frequently. If it happens within reasonable time (14 days according to Apple) they'll refund the difference but later than that, it makes little sense for them to do anything for you.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beating_a_dead_horse

or this
http://www.knowyourphrase.com/phrase-meanings/Beating-a-Dead-Horse.html

NC Chris, you're unlikely getting a refund, especially now. I believe you will continue to enjoy the computer all the same. Technological advances and price changes happen frequently. If it happens within reasonable time (14 days according to Apple) they'll refund the difference but later than that, it makes little sense for them to do anything for you.

Thank you for the wikipedia post. I learned a lot.

And Chris, just realize that Samsung releases a new tablet almost every week. Sometimes more than that. Think of the ridiculous depreciation they have to deal with!

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
You made the decision to by the product before the price drop and presumably not with a price drop in mind when you made your decision, so really although the price did go down after you bought it, that is just unfortunate on your part.

The fact that Apple offered a coupon is probably something that other companies wouldn't do, despite it requiring you to spend a specific amount of money.

The OP probably had no idea that the MBA's price was going to drop so soon.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

Of course he didn't know about the upcoming price drop. Abta didn't mean that he made the purchase knowing a price drop was coming. Abta meant that he bought the MacBook and the price dropped after.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
You were happy with the product and accepted it's price when you bought.. It's the same product today as it was then so don't spend your life regretting. Just enjoy using the great machine you have.

There was no obligation on Apple to offer any coupon, and in my experience very few companies would do the same.

Look to the future and don't live with 'what if's'

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
You were happy with the product and accepted it's price when you bought.. It's the same product today as it was then so don't spend your life regretting. Just enjoy using the great machine you have.

There was no obligation on Apple to offer any coupon, and in my experience very few companies would do the same.

Look to the future and don't live with 'what if's'

I mean, at least this wasn't your investment into someone's stock...bought a few thousand shares, and the company crashes the next week.
You paid for a material item that happened to go down in price shortly after your purchase. Unfortunate, but, hey, what can you do?

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France

My point is that the price dropping and the OPs decision to buy the laptop are unrelated. At the time of purchase, the OP had decided on that item and was willing to pay that price for that item.

It's not like Apple watched the OP and waited specifically after they had made the purchase to change the price. In fact, it's entirely possible that a company could increase their price after you bought an item so just as they would not ask you to pay the difference, why should you be entitled to a refund?

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
It's not like Apple watched the OP and waited specifically after they had made the purchase to change the price. In fact, it's entirely possible that a company could increase their price after you bought an item so just as they would not ask you to pay the difference, why should you be entitled to a refund?

Very good point.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Next time purchase your Mac from a retailer with price guarantee polices, like futureshop. They offer 30 day price guarantee, plus an extra 10% on top.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
$100 - Buy an extra power plug, everybody needs an extra. Extend your warranty. Take the coupon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.