Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Finally got around to finishing season 2 of Revolution (NBC) yesterday. I'm disappointed it was cancelled. I'll admit it wasn't the best show in the world, but it was a really interesting concept. I'm more disappointed that they didn't wrap up the story in some way at the end of season 2.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Finally got around to finishing season 2 of Revolution (NBC) yesterday. I'm disappointed it was cancelled. I'll admit it wasn't the best show in the world, but it was a really interesting concept. I'm more disappointed that they didn't wrap up the story in some way at the end of season 2.

Maybe some day they will. Shows that have a lot of notoriety tend to have a finale in tv-movie form.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

When I watch a show, the characters come across as A-list, portraits of people who could be real, such as in Lost, or they come across as B-list charactures of people. Unfortunately for me, Revolution came across as the latter, along with The Last Ship, and Helix.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
This is whats on my TV
fSrfvjI.jpg

Joking aside, catching up with Archer, and Under The Dome.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
When I watch a show, the characters come across as A-list, portraits of people who could be real, such as in Lost, or they come across as B-list charactures of people. Unfortunately for me, Revolution came across as the latter, along with The Last Ship, and Helix.

Ahh, a fellow Lost fan. ;) I can agree with the subpar acting in Revolution. While it wasn't horrible, it was probably one of the weakest points of the show. It's upside was the interesting concept. I guess it wasn't enough to keep it going though.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Extant has been decent. Some twists are forming, and it's becoming interesting.

too bad the production and the not so uninteresting story get's let down by the acting:
Halle Berry acts looks she got the nicole kidman botox treatment with the same 2 faces and Visnjic waves around with his hands like a stage actor.

which makes it absolutely cringeworthy at times.
After watching an episode of "Halt and Catch Fire"(= absolutely excellent) it is comically bad in comparison.

The first episode of Manhattan looked quite interesting and nicely produced with different characters. Gonna keep on watching.

"The last ship" is late-at-night, switch-your-brain off action stuff, but it's doing it surprisingly entertaining.
"Tyrant" also has weak spots in acting but the series set-up is original enough to keep me interested.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
I watched the first season quite a while ago and never really got back to it. I agree it was a little weak and didn't keep my attention.

Am I inaccurate if I say that most of Stephen King's writings, when turned to tv, often fall short? With the exception of Shawshank and the Green Mile, was there anything that measured up to the books?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Am I inaccurate if I say that most of Stephen King's writings, when turned to tv, often fall short? With the exception of Shawshank and the Green Mile, was there anything that measured up to the books?

The Shining [’76 version], Carrie, The Mist, Misery and Stand By Me are another batch of outstanding movies based on King books - some deviate a bit from the books, but I’d say they’re just as good. :)

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
The Shining [’76 version], Carrie, The Mist, Misery and Stand By Me are another batch of outstanding movies based on King books - some deviate a bit from the books, but I’d say they’re just as good. :)

Right, I agree with all but the Mist.... that movie didn't quite do it for me. But otherwise, I agree. I haven't read Misery, though.

berthaconners

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
Right, I agree with all but the Mist.... that movie didn't quite do it for me. But otherwise, I agree. I haven't read Misery, though.

I think that there have been quite a few blunders of his work. Some are really really bad (Sleepwalkers) , and some of them are "acceptable" (Hearts in Atlantis), while some are really good (listed above).

I think it's best to just read the books, and pretend the movies don't exist.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008

In general, I'd say the movies based on short stories or novellas. Silver Bullet was based on Cycle of the Werewolf and The Running Man were good. Although, re-reading the request, I don't know that I like any of the Stephen King stories as shown on TV. Movies tend to be better. I did not like IT at all, and I had eagerly anticipated that after having read the book.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I enjoyed The Mist movie especially the twist they put on it at the end. Carrie, Firestarter, and The Dead Zone were also good. :)
The original Shining although it deviated from the novel substantially is a piece of cinematic art.

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
I was a huge fan of the Simpsons, but never really gave Futurama much consideration. I watched episode one of season one two days ago, and I'm excited to have time to watch more. Hopefully this weekend, but we'll see.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I was a huge fan of the Simpsons, but never really gave Futurama much consideration. I watched episode one of season one two days ago, and I'm excited to have time to watch more. Hopefully this weekend, but we'll see.

I also like The Simpsons. Futurama is a great series too!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Futurama is as good as the best Simpsons - even though I think the movie format didn’t quite work (they produced 4 movies for season 5), and it took some time to get their groove back after the resurrection.

Smart (from the science to the social commentary), funny, fantastic voice cast, and an amazing, thoughtful series [final] finale.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yep, that was about the only thing I liked about it. Tim Curry is the man. Or, clown in this case. Alien, really. Oh hell, whatever. Good actor. :)

Yeah, I agree on both points: 1) Curry is amazing, 2) IT was a C- and that’s being generous just because of Tim :)

:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.