Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

beatsbydre-250x311.jpg
As part of its pending acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music, Apple has begun making offers to Beats employees that will see roughly 200 of Beats' 700 positions phased out over the next few months. News of the job cuts was first reported by 9to5Mac yesterday, with additional detail provided by the New York Post.

According to the reports, most of the job cuts will be in human resources, finance, and other areas where there is overlap between Apple and Beats staff. Some Beats employees will reportedly transfer to Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, while others will remain at Beats' current facility in the Los Angeles area.

Apple has issued a statement to Re/code confirming that some Beats employees have received only temporary offers from Apple as part of the transition.
Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr's explanation: "We're excited to have the Beats team join Apple, and we have extended job offers to every Beats employee. Because of some overlap in our operations, some offers are for a limited period and we'll work hard during this time to find as many of these Beats employees as we can another permanent job within Apple."
Apple's $3 billion deal to acquire Beats and its headphone and streaming music businesses has been approved by European regulators, but will not be finalized until U.S. regulators sign off on the deal. Apple indicated at the time the acquisition was announced that it expects the deal to close this quarter.

Article Link: Apple Trimming 200 Employees From Beats Team to Streamline Overlapping Functions

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Meh. This is pretty normal. It's great Apple is trying to find them positions within Apple as well. Some of those positions might be in states where those employees don't want to move or whatever, but I doubt Beats needs its own sales and distribution staff now they have Apple's.

My guess is a lot of Beats employees made out very well come this.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
While I am not anti Dr Dre, Beats do suck and this deal was overpriced, much like ALL Apple products.

GO APPLE!

PS, I own lots of Apple products, but will never buy Beats, even if Apple owns them and again, NOT because I am anti Dr Dre or Iovine.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
"overlapping function" = Finally being able to fire the slackers without the ramifications of doing do.;)

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
While I am not anti Dr Dre, Beats do suck and this deal was overpriced, much like ALL Apple products.

GO APPLE!

PS, I own lots of Apple products, but will never buy Beats, even if Apple owns them and again, NOT because I am anti Dr Dre or Iovine.

Eh, their headphones suck. However, HP laptops with beats actually sound pretty awesome... a hell of a lot better than any other laptops I've used. Too bad HPs break after 5 months...

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC

GO APPLE!

So... you hate Beats because they're overpriced. But you buy Apple products even though you believe they're overpriced just like Beats? And then you top it off with a "GO APPLE!" to let all of us know you aren't talking trash about Apple.

You seem like a very confused individual. Or you're trying way too hard to jump on the anti-Beats bandwagon.

Lastly, it's impossible to say that the Beats acquisition was overpriced because you still don't know why Apple bought them. There's speculation, but even if any of it is true, you haven't seen the results. If we get years down the road and the acquisition hasn't made much of a difference, then yes, it was overpriced. But at this point in time, it sounds like you're just circlejerking over Beats headphones.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Expected.

Anyone who did not see it coming was pretending to be an ostrich.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Lol, 200 overlaps 90k+

I am sure that this is more about Apple just wanting the Beats intellectual property and obviously could care less about the Beats brand or products. I mean Apple has over 90k employees and they want to grow even further. I am sure that there is not a lot of "overlap" from 200 employees that they could not find a home for at Apple Inc.

Sure, it is pretty normal, but Apple prides themselves by supposedly "Thinking Different", and so its just disappointing that a company with the profit levels and size of Apple can't find a home for 200 employees they just acquired.

Hopefully the severance is at least amazing.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
It sucks if you loose your job, but this is the right thing.

Apple bought beats for a number of reasons, they may as well streamline it to be only the reasons they want or Apple will become too big.

There's no point in being big for the sake of being big, just because you have a lot of revenue.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
its a set up

Apple acquire beats just for this purpose only... they don't like people so they just "get rid of them" AFTER they were interested in something..

Bose sues Beats over noise cancelling headphones, then Apple acquires them.

Sounds like somethings happening here.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, if Apple has acquired Beats, what products will prove this from Apple or services ? so far, its just been rumors. How do we know Apple has a different business plan in mind ?

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
You'd have to assume that these 200 "cuts" will be given every opportunity to post for new jobs within the organization, which is very common (and often under reported, because job cuts is much more sensationalist).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
its a set up

Apple acquire beats just for this purpose only... they don't like people so they just "get rid of them" AFTER they were interested in something..

Bose sues Beats over noise cancelling headphones, then Apple acquires them.

Sounds like somethings happening here.

Nothing is happening here. Microsoft laid off 12K employees after acquiring Nokia's handset business. That's what happens with acquisitions. Beats has employees in support functions that overlap with existing Apple functions. The people in question will either apply for another position inside Apple or look elsewhere for work.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
So... you hate Beats because they're overpriced. But you buy Apple products even though you believe they're overpriced just like Beats? And then you top it off with a "GO APPLE!" to let all of us know you aren't talking trash about Apple.

You seem like a very confused individual. Or you're trying way too hard to jump on the anti-Beats bandwagon.

Lastly, it's impossible to say that the Beats acquisition was overpriced because you still don't know why Apple bought them. There's speculation, but even if any of it is true, you haven't seen the results. If we get years down the road and the acquisition hasn't made much of a difference, then yes, it was overpriced. But at this point in time, it sounds like you're just circlejerking over Beats headphones.

I didnt like Beats before, they are horrible, even if priced right, they still are horrible in audio quality. Dont assume. But at this point in time, it sounds like you're just circlejerking over my Beats headphones statement that they are crap. Dont assume Im jumping on the Anti-Beats bandwagon. Ive always hated Beats, while I actually own most of Dr Dre's CD albums. People here are pissed because they are Anti-dre more than anti-beats.

Not surprised you're defending Apple, most people here do.

----------

Eh, their headphones suck. However, HP laptops with beats actually sound pretty awesome... a hell of a lot better than any other laptops I've used. Too bad HPs break after 5 months...

I remember those HP laptops, never heard them though. But their headphones are trash.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.