Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5s.jpg
Apple will soon be able to offer display repairs on the iPhone 5s directly within its retail stores, alleviating the need to send the devices to an off-site repair center. As noted by 9to5Mac, Apple Stores are currently accepting large deliveries of iPhone 5s screens for the repair program and in-store repairs are set to begin on Monday, August 4.

The in-store repairs are part of an effort to lower repair costs. Apple first began offering in-store phone repairs for the iPhone 5 back in June of 2013, and expanded to iPhone 5c repairs in January of this year.

Users with a cracked or damaged iPhone 5s display that do not have AppleCare+ now have the option to pay a $149 fee to get the screen repaired right at an Apple retail location. Prior to establishing an in-store repair center, users were forced to pay $229 for a replacement screen as Apple had to send damaged devices off-site.

With the ability to replace iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s screens, Apple can significantly cut down on repair costs and wait times. In a June 2013 employee meeting, Apple noted that its in-house repair policies could save the company as much as $1 billion per year.

Article Link: Apple Now Replacing Damaged iPhone 5s Displays in Retail Stores

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
In the US, do Apple send away products from the Apple Store then?

In the UK at least, all repairs (which are replacements when it comes to defective/faulty iPhones), are done in the store.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Don't the 5, 5C and 5S have the same screen? Why only replace the 5S then?

mengel

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
Some confusion

In line with the previous poster, I'm a bit confused as the article seems to imply that in some markets, Apple Stores ship off phones and the customer has to wait for that turn around time as they replace the screen. This hasn't ever been my experience. I've always just seen them replace phones when screens can't be replaced.

The article also quotes a $229 replacement cost but this article seems to suggest that the cost is $269.

Last edited:

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Don't the 5, 5C and 5S have the same screen? Why only replace the 5S then?
The ring around the Home button with Touch ID is slightly difference, and the glass is slightly thinner on the newer models because the shrunk some of the parts below the glass (the screen/digitizer, I think).

I cracked my iPhone 5s screen a few weeks ago and was told I'd have to pay for the phone to be swapped out because Apple Stores didn't yet have iPhone 5s front screen glass parts.

macpro88

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
I believe I can do this myself for $24.99 from Amazon.

Those prices are extortion. Apple, you pulled in billions upon billions of dollars in a single quarter. The least you can do take a very very very small hit, if a hit at all, and do this for free.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
In line with the previous poster, I'm a bit confused as the article seems to imply that in some markets, Apple Stores ship off phones and the customer has to wait for that turn around time as they replace the screen. This hasn't ever been my experience. I've always just seen them replace phones when screens can't be replaced.

The article also quotes a $229 replacement cost but this article seems to suggest that the cost is $269.

There are a few Apple Stores that were previously testing iPhone 5s screen replacements in-store. They've been able to do iPhone 5c/iPhone 5 repairs in store for awhile now too, only the 5s repairs are new. Prices vary online and in-store. I think the $269 fee is the full device replacement fee -- not sure though.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Those prices are extortion. Apple, you pulled in billions upon billions of dollars in a single quarter. The least you can do take a very very very small hit, if a hit at all, and do this for free.
Here are some reviews for the $33 replacement screen on Amazon.

The product is missing the housing for the camera and the mesh for the speaker. Those items are glued into the original iPhone 5s screen component.

Screen has lines through it and the digitizer goes crazy. Pretty much useless.

THIS IS NOT AN EASY REPAIR! I would recommend if this is your first time, you dont do this..

There are a lot of little parts you must remove and put back on in order to make this repair. I would def pay someone to do this if you do not know what you are doing.

The forward facing camera is milky- there is a permanent film over the camera that cannot be removed. Alas, I can no longer take #selfies. Additionally, the screen gets very hot and the picture begins to fade out after five minutes of use or so. This is very annoying.

----------

$269 is the price for an Out-of-Warranty repair that involves replacing the entire device, like from water damage, bent frame, etc.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I consider this a reduction in customer service.

Previously, they would simply replace the phone. 20 minutes and a restore and you're done.

Now they have you waiting 2-3 hours to replace parts. When I brought my phone in with a receiver speaker problem, they had to try to do a "modular repair" first. When this failed, they replaced my phone. Total time, over 2 hours, when I could have been out of there in 20 mins had they just replaced the phone.

What's so hard about replacing phones, then fixing+refurbishing the broken ones on Apple's own time and using them for future replacements? The cost is about the same and the customer experience is loads better.

----------

Is some company out there creating clone knockoff iPhone screens? I'm surprised they can do that, given how proprietary the Apple hardware is.

Here are some reviews for the $33 replacement screen on Amazon.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Why would you EVER pay 150$ for a new screen when you can simply give them your phone and 200$ for a brand new one?

I've done this 4 times now. paying for just a screen is a rip. get the whole new setup! minus the box of goodies.

----------

[/QUOTE]

----------

[/COLOR]
$269 is the price for an Out-of-Warranty repair that involves replacing the entire device, like from water damage, bent frame, etc.[/QUOTE]

if you turn in the broken phone it's 200 flat

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Previously, they would simply replace the phone. 20 minutes and a restore and you're done.

Now they have you waiting 2-3 hours to replace parts. When I brought my phone in with a receiver speaker problem, they had to try to do a "modular repair" first. When this failed, they replaced my phone. Total time, over 2 hours, when I could have been out of there in 20 mins had they just replaced the phone.
Wonder why it took them so long? The total time to have my iPhone 5s camera replaced was 30 minutes. I couldn't imagine the speaker being that much more intricate. :?

----------

Correct, for an iPhone 4s.

$269 - iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5
$199 - iPhone 4s
$149 - iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, Original iPhone

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
A few weeks ago my iPhone 5s screen failed.

The Genius said they don't yet fix 5s screens in-store yet... so they gave me a new replacement phone.

I guess now they can fix them in-store (but I'm glad I got a new phone) :)

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
OF COURSE THIS HAPPENS...

Been waiting since March for them to repair them in store vs paying close to $300 for a replacement phone...finally went to a 3rd party place last week and got it done for $120 and the screen/LCD is like new...official FOXCONN parts just from their sister company.

I would have waited but Apple for some reason cannot tell us when this was going to happen but obviously they knew they were going to offer it SOON.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
A few weeks ago my iPhone 5s screen failed.

The Genius said they don't yet fix 5s screens in-store yet... so they gave me a new replacement phone.

I guess now they can fix them in-store (but I'm glad I got a new phone) :)

You got lucky. I'd much rather have a new phone than a potential lemon phone. Call it superstition, but if something on a device fails, it usually fails again after being fixed.

MaxDrago

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
The straight dope

Why would you EVER pay 150$ for a new screen when you can simply give them your phone and 200$ for a brand new one?
I've done this 4 times now. paying for just a screen is a rip. get the whole new setup! minus the box of goodies.
$269 is the price for an Out-of-Warranty repair that involves replacing the entire device, like from water damage, bent frame, etc.
An out of warranty replacement for an iPhone 5/5C/5S is $269. The $229 replacement price was prior to the change in AppleCare+ pricing/fees last year, around the time the original screen repair program began.
The only $199 option is replacing an iPhone 4S out of warranty.

As stated in the article, the stores (except maybe some trying out a pilot programs), didn't have screens to service 5S's with so $269 was the only option.

AND just to be clear, the replacement price ALWAYS involves swapping the old device for the new one, otherwise it wouldn't be a replacement. Any option where you keep the old phone is purchasing a new one (not a service function)... and unless you have a carrier upgrade available you're paying full retail ($649+), instead of the subsidized $199+ for a 16GB 5S.

I just had this conversation in a local store yesterday... The conversation was very explicit about the options. The only phones that can get sent out for repair are those covered under some sore of extension like the iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake button issue. Everything else is done in the store as a component repair (usually within an hour unless your store is packed or just has slow techs) if they have the part, or as a unit swap if parts aren't available.

Taking a $120 off the price to replace a display is a good thing to those of us who don't own any money trees. This lets me keep the remaining warranty on my device (if any), or gives me 90 days warranty on the repair... vs. voiding my warranty and removing my ability to have apple service the device for anything in the future. Plus I don't have to bother with setup/restore of data. :cool:

cicton

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Canada

What's so hard about replacing phones, then fixing+refurbishing the broken ones on Apple's own time and using them for future replacements? The cost is about the same and the customer experience is loads better.

----------

Is some company out there creating clone knockoff iPhone screens? I'm surprised they can do that, given how proprietary the Apple hardware is.

It's hardly a drop of customer service. People need to realize that iphone are nothing more than computers that fit in your pocket. Expecting a entire replacement for a phone with a broken display is ridiculous. Normal people wouldn't expect this for their Mac so why do they expect it for their phone. Waiting a short amount of time for the repair to be complete should give the customer some time to think about the fact that they broke the display, Not Apple. When did we become so entitled as a customer?

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Wonder why it took them so long? The total time to have my iPhone 5s camera replaced was 30 minutes. I couldn't imagine the speaker being that much more intricate. :?

----------

Correct, for an iPhone 4s.

$269 - iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5
$199 - iPhone 4s
$149 - iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, Original iPhone

wrong. my iPhone 5 was 200$ flat. plus tax. I know this because like I said, I've done it 3-4 times.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
In the US, do Apple send away products from the Apple Store then?

In the UK at least, all repairs (which are replacements when it comes to defective/faulty iPhones), are done in the store.

That's incorrect. The process is the same in the UK. I went into a UK Apple store earlier this week with a cracked screen and they sent it away for repair.

The process is that they take your broken phone, charge you £209, give you a refurbished phone, send your broken phone away to be refurbished and keep it when it comes back into the store a few weeks later. Presumably they then use the refurbished phone to sell to other customers who need an out-of-store repair.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is also how it works in the US. But I'm certain that they've never offered in-store screen replacement in they UK for iPhone 5S.

On a side note, I can't believe they've started doing this two days after I had my phone replaced! Could have saved a fair few quid.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
No luck getting just the screen replaced at the Annapolis Apple Store yesterday. The genius did not have any information about any upcoming changes to how they fix 5s displays either, though he was aware if the rumors. I couldn't backup the phone with the password lock on so I was hoping they could just replace the screen.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

With a crappy third party screen. You also assume the risk.

Apple use more expensive, genuine parts. You're also paying for their labour (they don't give their time away for free just cause you broke your screen).

Why should Apple replace your broken screen for free?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

From this article it can be inferred that it is costing Apple ~$3 Billion per year to make this repair for customers who sign up for extended warranty. Now, you are suggesting that Apple should pay this cost for customers who don't sign up for extended warranty. Not only is this likely to cost Apple several billion dollars per year, but Apple would lose extended warranty revenues from customers who decide it isn't worth it given Apple will be doing these repairs for free.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 242

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
Here is the link to Apple's website that shows the CURRENT out-of-warranty replacement prices:

iPhone 5 = $269.

Attached is a receipt from having an iPhone 5 replaced (out of warranty) from back in April.

iPhone 5 = $269.

weird. i dunno if i still have my receipt. but i know i paid 199+tax here in oklahoma i believe it was 217 or 227 after taxes. i wonder whats up with that

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
weird. i dunno if i still have my receipt. but i know i paid 199+tax here in oklahoma i believe it was 217 or 227 after taxes. i wonder whats up with that
You are mistaken. All phones in the 5 line are a $269 replacement cost. $199 for 4S and $149 for 4. This is standard across all retail locations in the United States.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.